Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayne foundation 07
    Time to feed the cat
    • Dec 30, 2007

[QUOTE=Hector;255983]Eric Estrada is NOT Mexican...he's a Puerto Rican, /QUOTE]

My bad

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
      Eric Estrada is NOT Mexican...he's a Puerto Rican, lol.

Don't ever say that in either New York, or Los Angeles...you'll get killed by ricans in New York...and you'll get killed by beaners in LA...lol.

Dat for shure dat for beeeerry shure

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          For the Record,.. I too thought Ponch was a Mexican,.. however By no means a "White Mexican" .

yeah the only white thing Ponch has are those freakin' teeth
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Joe90
            Most Special Agent
            • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by Vortigern99
            The only statement of yours I would take issue with is that "Galicia = Gaul = Celts = Scots/Irish". Celticism is and was an ethnicity, not a bloodline, and in fact the indigenous peoples of France/Gaul and Ireland/Scotland at the time of Julius Caesar were a broad mixture of "races", rather than a homogenous stock of red-haired, blue- or green-eyed "white people".
            But that rather muddies the waters of this discussion, so I'll leave it at that!
            I agree with you 100%. Even back in the "before time" the people were a mix of ethnicity. We often associate the Scots Irish as "pure" Celts but they were a mix of Celtic, Pict, and Norse ethnicity. The connection I made was based more on a linguistic association as the Gauls/Galicians were members of the Celtic linguistic tree. Many scholars tend to include the Lusitanians and Iberians into that group as well.

Fascinating stuff.
            90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Eric Estrada is NOT Mexican...he's a Puerto Rican, lol.

Don't ever say that in either New York, or Los Angeles...you'll get killed by ricans in New York...and you'll get killed by beaners in LA...lol.

I live in NYC and my wife is Puerto Rican. If you call her Mexican you had best brace yourself because you're about to get hammered and not with words! (well, maybe a few choice words in addition to)...

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                I live in NYC and my wife is Puerto Rican. If you call her Mexican you had best brace yourself because you're about to get hammered and not with words! (well, maybe a few choice words in addition to)...

- Ian
                Exactly.

sigpic

Comment

• Joe90
                  Most Special Agent
                  • Feb 23, 2008

- Ian
                  I remember the controversy when Jennifer Lopez was set to play Selena. It's a mystery to me how there are divisions even amongst people of similar ethnic backgrounds. I see it up here with the emnity between different Native groups.

The multi-cultural face of Racism...
                  90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

What always get's me is when non hispanic people refer to all hispanic's as "Spanish"

"Oh, she's Spanish, but I don't know what country she comes from"

On the reverse, they never refer to us as "English"

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Joe90
                      I remember the controversy when Jennifer Lopez was set to play Selena. It's a mystery to me how there are divisions even amongst people of similar ethnic backgrounds. I see it up here with the emnity between different Native groups.

The multi-cultural face of Racism...
                      Correction...

While both have the Spanish connection...Mexicans are heavy in Native American roots...Puerto Ricans more with African...the native Taino population in Puerto Rico was too small in comparison to Africans. The African presence in Mexico...while there...is very small (1-2&#37.

The typical Mexican does not look like the typical Puerto Rican...and vice versa.

Case in point...Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto & Mexican boxer Antonio Margarito:

One has heavier African features and the other has more Indian features.

Of course...that's obviously not the case if both parties were from more European backgrounds...which both groups have....but they are clearly not the majority.

Plus the accents are so vastly different...when Jennifer Lopez was speaking Spanish in Selena...Mexicans were laughing...it's kinda like Wyatt Earp speaking with a heavy Australian accent, lol.

Last edited by Hector; Jan 18, '09, 8:39 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

- Ian
                        Or worse call her a Dominican and see what happens.....

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                          OH JES!!
                          • Jul 21, 2005

Correction...

While both have the Spanish connection...Mexicans are heavy in Native American roots...Puerto Ricans more with African...the native Taino population in Puerto Rico was too small in comparison to Africans. The African presence in Mexico...while there...is very small (1-2%).

The typical Mexican does not look like the typical Puerto Rican...and vice versa.

Case in point...Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto & Mexican boxer Antonio Margarito:

Of course...that's obviously not the case if both parties were from more European backgrounds...which both groups have....but they are clearly not the majority.

Plus the accents are so vastly different...when Jennifer Lopez was speaking Spanish in Selena...Mexicans were laughing...it's kinda like Wyatt Earp speaking with a heavy Australian accent, lol.

That's true. The Only thing that Selena and JLO had in common were they both had big *****! Selena was an Amazing Talent. JLo is embarrassing to Puerto Ricans.

Both of my set of Grandparents come from Spain and lived in Puerto Rico.
                          Which explains my Fair skin and dead straight hair.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                            Or worse call her a Dominican and see what happens.....
                            Oh, I wasn't going to go there in this thread, but you're right! LOL

- Ian

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

Correction...

While both have the Spanish connection...Mexicans are heavy in Native American roots...Puerto Ricans more with African...the native Taino population in Puerto Rico was too small in comparison to Africans. The African presence in Mexico...while there...is very small (1-2&#37.

I know you're right about this Hector, but I have to say that many, many of the Puerto Ricans that I have come in contact with or have just seen are very light skinned and don't have african features, at all. Most don't look like that boxer. Maybe that's more the case for Puerto Ricans who live state-side, but probably has nothing to do with it. I don't know.

My wife, for example, is very often mistaken for being Italian. And, one of the Puerto Rican women that I work with has natural red hair, green eyes and is very light skinned.

After writing all of that, I don't guess I really have a point. I'm just sayin'.

- Ian

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

I know you're right about this Hector, but I have to say that many, many of the Puerto Ricans that I have come in contact with or have just seen are very light skinned and don't have african features, at all. Most don't look like that boxer. Maybe that's more the case for Puerto Ricans who live state-side, but probably has nothing to do with it. I don't know.

My wife, for example, is very often mistaken for being Italian. And, one of the Puerto Rican women that I work with has natural red hair, green eyes and is very light skinned.

After writing all of that, I don't guess I really have a point. I'm just sayin'.

- Ian
                                That's why I wrote this as well...

"Of course...that's obviously not the case if both parties were from more European backgrounds...which both groups have....but they are clearly not the majority."

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎