• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjaycox
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 16, 2008

New Monster Custom--Coffin Joe!

Hi all!

Whoa... how quickly a couple years go by. I haven't posted here in a loooong time. Usually don't have the time to. Won't bore you with the details--day job stuff, etc...

Anyway, the recent, adorable monster customs shown by Thomas feature some sculpts by me, so I thought I'd show off something of my own I finished recently: Coffin Joe-- or, as he is known in his Native Brazil, Ze do Caixao (Jose' of the Coffin).

For those of you who aren't familiar, (and I'm assuming you aren't) Ze' is Brazil's resident bogeyman. There really is nothing like him-- he is a horror movie host, horror movie character and all-around strange person. His M.O is the continuous search fro the "superior woman" to bear him a son to continue his reign of terror on earth. Incredibly violent and gory, he is nonetheless a friend to children everywhere. So, in that sense, he is kind of like a combination between Gamera and Henry the VIII (just try not picture it).

I was turned on to the strange, phantasmagorical Coffin Joe films by my friend, Ray Castile of "Gallery of Monster Toys" fame. In a rare, crazy case of fandom paying off, the real Coffin Joe, Jose Mojica Marins, was so touched by Ray's tribute site, he offered him the part of the "young Coffin Joe" in the most recent CJ flick, "Encarnacao do Demonio" (Incarnation of Evil). It was released in Brazil in summer and was a big hit. This figure was actually a commision for the real Coffin Joe himself.

The fgure is on a hybrid body featuring Mego, Flattworld and LJN parts. The headsculpt is original by me, as is most of the clothing.

There are three Coffin Joe dolls in existence-- my own, Ray's, and the one made for CJ himself. Ray's and mine feature Mego-style boxes from my fake line of "World Famous Movie monsters. Since Mego-esque would make no sense to a Brazilian, I made a special "Coffin Box" for Ze', with writing in Portuguise.

Anyone wanting to learn more about Coffin Joe, should go to Ray's tribute page which started it all:

ze do caixao

Just thought you'd like to see something off the beaten path.

Thanks for looking.

Best,

Matt
    Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Fantastic looking figure and packaging Matt! You are, without a doubt, the Monster Mego King!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• marmes
      Megolomaniac
      • May 12, 2007

Outstanding!!

Excellent likeness.

Comment

• mishu2nite
        Persistent Member
        • Nov 26, 2001

Just fantastic, I love your work. If you decide ever to let any go again, please PM me. I didn't find out to after the auctions were over for the 3 that you let go six months ago.

Comment

• gman
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 4, 2002

Fantastic figure!!! What a cool subject and outstanding craftsmanship.
          Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• JediJaida
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 14, 2008

How on Earth did you manage his hands? Those are freaky looking!

Someone here was talking about a Nosferatu custom, and they'd be perfect for something like that!

This dude is scarey looking, and a perfect example of a horror show host.
            JediJaida

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
              Stuck in a laundry shoot.
              • Oct 8, 2007

Very nice. Love those hands, and the figure and overall presentation is great. Thanks
              "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• mjaycox
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 16, 2008

Originally posted by JediJaida
                How on Earth did you manage his hands? Those are freaky looking!

Someone here was talking about a Nosferatu custom, and they'd be perfect for something like that!
                The perfect Nosferatu hands (and head) already exist. Monarch models released a 8' scale styrene kit last year which has a perfect likeness and Mego scale hands. Simply search for it on Ebay.

For my part, my hands were adapted from Ozzy Osbourne McFarlane Howl at the Moon hands.
                Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Absolutely fantastic figure and story Matt, I love it when people can give customs to the subject matter.

The likeness is freaky spot on, I met Marins back in 1992, what a kind person he was.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

Those Hands are sooooooooo Cool.
                    Very nice figure Dude.
                    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

Very nice suit & Coffin too.
                      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Captain_Mego
                        Vet.
                        • May 22, 2007

Welcome back . Awsome figure man. Loads of detail. Love N It.

Comment

• blastphemey
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jun 11, 2008

Sweet!!!! espacially those delicate beuatufull hands.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Man, that is sweet. Nice seeing you doing more monsters.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• boss
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 18, 2003

Fantastic!
                              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎