X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

Bat Man-ga!!

Just picked up some interesting books at Chapter's today. Ghost World hard cover, DC Vault and an awesome book called Bat Manga, a japanese batman book with loads of photos of japanese Batman toys. Bat Manga! The Secret History of Batman in Japan Gallery Bat Manga! Book Preview
    Anybody seen this before? I'd never heard of it.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Saw it today at Books a Million. Almost pulled the trigger on it. I need to check Amazon to see if its a better deal there.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

It was at Barnes and Noble a couple of months back but I didn't pick it up.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• goldenryan
        coy member
        • Jul 13, 2007

that book looks sweet

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Got it for Christmas from the wife. Very cool book. Takes a bit of getting used to reading right to left, but I'm getting there. Great photos of Japanese Bat-toys from the 60s as well.

The Japanese toymakers of the time mostly interpreted Batman as an insane, slightly overweight nutball in pantyhose. Not a totally invalid interpretation for the time.

The comic stories are based on many of the 60s Bat-books, including the first appearance of Clayface II and Batman's encounter with the Weather Wizard from Flash's Rogues.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• blastphemey
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 11, 2008

Yea i was looking at it at barnes and noble, looked ok,. i mostly wanted it because of the ol' bat-figures and what not.

and i hated the way i had to read left to right. but twas a bit expansive so i didnt get it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I read a little deeper and was amused to find that they renamed the Weather Wizard. In Japan he was ...Go-Go, the Magician.

Okay, the guy controls the weather, and that's a better name?

There is an interview with the artist/writer/adapter of the comics, and he explains how some of the American comic stories had to be completely reworked for Japanese audiences. That they weren't sophisticated enough for that audience to buy.

So they renamed a weather controlling villain...Go-Go the Magician.

HA!!!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• aquatroy
                Permanent Member
                • Apr 28, 2002

Manga Batman might be my favorite book purchase of 2008.
                Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎