Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about Pepsi's DC superhero glasses?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

Anyone know anything about Pepsi's DC superhero glasses?

I bought this one today and I don't remember ever seeing it before. The ones that I'm familiar with are the 1976 Moon series and the later series with more action oriented poses, but this one stumps me. It's copyrighted 1975 National Periodical Publications and has a pink-white (flesh tone) Pepsi logo. Anyone know anything about it?

• StrangeVisitor
    Career Member
    • May 13, 2007

Maybe part of a test run of glasses that never went to full production.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Whoa, that's a new one on me.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

Does it have another Superman pic on the other side? If so then it's part of a double sided series that Pepsi put out. They're pretty rare. They put out a Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Robin double sided glasses. Average around $50-$75 each.
        If not then it could be a prototype that Pepsi and Brockway put out. I've seen 10 different prototype Supes glasses and this isn't one that I've seen. The last prototype Supes glass I saw sold went just under $300.

Comment

• MegoSteve
          Superman's Pal
          • Jun 17, 2005

Yes, it has another Superman on the back. Thanks very much for the info! You wouldn't happen to have or know where there are pictures of the others, do you?

The one place I checked was here:
          Database Search

Pretty good tool if you're into glasses.

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

I've been into collectible drinking glasses for 25 years and haven't ever seen this Superman version. Most of the Pepsi Double Sided DC glasses came out in 1977. Your's with a date of 1975 could be a Prototype. They used to make up 2-3 different versions of the glasses and run a test with customers to see which version people liked the best and then usually gave away the ones that didn't make the cut to thier sales people or employees. There was only about 10 or less made up. Here's some pics of the 1977 versions. Hope this helps!

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

^ That last one can't be a '77 version....Wonder Woman didn't get the "double-W" chest design until 1982
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

Funny you mention that because most collectors and books list them as 1977 (when most known prototype DC glasses were produced) but some have said they came out at different times with a couple produced in the early 80's. No one ever has said which ones were produced when. Most guides speculate the glasses were unofficial, unauthorized, freelance items, and totally unconnected with any restaurant promotions. On the reverse side of all of them has the Superman picture with his cape flying behind him.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                  Superman's Pal
                  • Jun 17, 2005

The one that I have has the same image on the front and back. Pretty weird... I guess I should have asked the dealer where he got it, but all of the other glasses he had were common ones I'd seen before, and I didn't want to make a fuss over this one.

I found the Promotional Glass Collectors Association message board and posted a picture there. There doesn't seem to be much activity over at that board, though.

Thanks again for the information, Tim.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                    Formerly known as Del
                    • Dec 12, 2004

I love that Robin on the motorcycle! I don't really collect a lot of glasses but I pick up a few cool ones here and there.
                    Steve, I don't know if you're looking for any Wonder Woman Pepsi glasses, but I saw the one of the reversed color variants at Saturday's Market.
                    Last edited by Bizarro Amy; Dec 4, '08, 11:41 AM. Reason: linky no worky
                    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• tomstoyz2
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2, 2007

I love that Robin on the motorcycle! I think they sold these at the WB Store here where I live, many years ago.
                      CHECK OUT THE NEW BAT-BLOG!
                      BAT-BLOG : BATMAN TOYS and COLLECTIBLES

Facebook Member? ADD ME!
                      Facebook: Bat-Blog!

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

That Robin is incredible.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎