Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eBay Buyers don't seem to fear the EMCEToys TREK Repros!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

eBay Buyers don't seem to fear the EMCEToys TREK Repros!

I've been watching the Price's on eBay, of the STAR TREK Alien's...and They're all still selling VERY high. My thought's on the subject are:(1) The Vintage Collector's don't care, and still WANT Vintage...because that's THE most important thing to Them!(2)A lot of Collector's don't know the REPO Romulan & Andorian are coming(and are going to be perfect Replica's)...is that possible?(3)some Collector's are aware...and dumping Thier Alien's now....but other Collector's are still paying HIGH price's for them...so it definately hasn't hurt the Collector Market yet!

What do You Guy's think?(Yeah...I know I'm opening a Can of Worm's.).
    sigpic
  • Lynn TXP 0369
    Career Member
    • Jun 10, 2007

I would tend to bet the collector market will waver a bit during each sets release, then go right back to where it was again a few months later after the dust settles.

Lynn

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Romulan and Andorian aren't due for a couple more months, so right now all is as it ever was. In a couple of months prices will drop a bit, partly because everyone will start unloading their originals to try and get their money back and the market will be flooded. But after that I think the prices will go back up again. These repros are cool of course and I will get some myself, but they're no substitute for the originals
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
        Career Member
        • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by Meule
        Romulan and Andorian aren't due for a couple more months, so right now all is as it ever was.
        And still will be if this first batch of Trek figures dosn't do well.

The rest won't come out if these flop.

I hope they don't flop, because I want to see all 13 figures come out, but from what I've read so far, only 6 are slated so far if they do well.

Lynn

Comment

• domino
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 16, 2007

I am one of those that still want the vintage figures. I know the new Trek figures are supposed to look like the originals but they are just not the real deal. I still want the Megos. Maybe the prices will drop a little and give me a chance to get a few more of them.

Comment

• megocrazy
            Museum Trouble Maker
            • Feb 18, 2007

The EMCE Romulan and Andorian won't effect the pricing on the originals at all. They are already priced way out of the range of your average mego collector. The new figures will be bought by the collector that would never pay the high prices associated with certain pieces in the line. I also think they will be bought by the serious collector just to say they have one. Everyone would love to own a RM Robin myself included. I personally would never pay the amount needed to obtain one at the current prices and I'm pretty serious about my megos. I have a complete repro from Doc that's been on my wall for like 4 years. How did those affect the market on RM Robin's? It didn't that figure is as high now as it ever was. How about the RC Batman, Peter Parker, or Clark Kent? All are available in repro but still retain a high price among collectors. What will affect the price is when all the people that have originals and are only into this hobby for the money start selling off their figures all at the same time and instead of seeing 1 or 2 per week available on ebay you start seeing 7 or 8 and then the panic will snowball into mass hysteria, cats and dogs running in the streets, nuclear war... Let's get serious. If you have your original figures just sit there with your hands folded and don't take the cyanide pill just yet. If these figures succeed and Doc gets to stuff like Sulu and Chekov and other unmade figures that's when the fun will start.
            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Well said Megcrazy...I think You hit the Nail right on the Head! And Man...I hope they do well...how cool would Factory made Chekov & Sulu Figure's be! Plus...They have James Brady working with Them...Boy, Would I like to see His GORN Mass produced!
              sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

yeah there will always be a market for these vintage Aliens,I did notice some prices have gone down.5 months ago the Mugato was selling for $500 carded,the other day there was for $349 buy it now and it was on for 2 days before someone pulled the trigger,so i think this is the time to get the vintage ones if you want them.I don't see these new ones finishing the complete set,knock on wood though
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• megocrazy
                  Museum Trouble Maker
                  • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by The Bat
                  Well said Megcrazy...I think You hit the Nail right on the Head! And Man...I hope they do well...how cool would Factory made Chekov & Sulu Figure's be! Plus...They have James Brady working with Them...Boy, Would I like to see His GORN Mass produced!
                  I talked to Doc about that very figure a couple of times. That figure did kick some major ***. I can't picture every collector not wanting one of those in his collection. It is simply an awesome looking figure.
                  It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• number 6
                    Village Idiot
                    • Jul 10, 2003

Originally posted by toys2cool
                    I did notice some prices have gone down.5 months ago the Mugato was selling for $500 carded,the other day there was for $349 buy it now and it was on for 2 days before someone pulled the trigger
                    I'm not trying to pick on you toys2cool so don't take this the wrong way

But I think this is what can lead up to "taking the cyanide pill": pointing to one or two auctions as evidence that the price is falling. It's easy to find isolated auctions on eBay that would support the theory of prices going down. The trick with eBay is looking at the pattern over the course of months and years.

For example, I've seen carded Spocks that have gone for as little as $20-25. But just within the next week I've seen them go for $50, $60 even $70. There's a lot of factors invloved in why they go for what they go for.

Thing about Trek figures, while the prices flucuate from time to time, it seems like (at least to me) over the last 10 years or so they always stay in the same range.

Personally, I hope you guys are right, that the repros don't effect the value of the original too much. Not that I'm an investor who's affraid my figures won't be "worth as much". My concern is that if people start precieving the orginals as 'worthless junk' they won't make the effort to care for them properly or go through the hassle of putting them up for sale so someone who really does care about them can own them.

As for the repros, I'm still really on the fence about whether to buy these or not. My heart is with the originals and I have pretty nice examples of those. I figure the money I would spend on all 6 of the repros (approx. $105) I could put towards buying a vinatge figure. And I have limited space for my collection as well.

Plus, while I think the Andorian is super cool, I just don't have the nostolgic attachment to the 2nd series aliens that I do to the first. I never had a 2nd series alien as a kid and didn't know the 2nd series even existed until I was in my late teens. Didn't actually see a picture of them until I was in my early 20's.

Comment

• jayihdz
                      aaaggghhhh!
                      • Mar 6, 2007

We should all give these figures a chance and support them, I know these are reproductions but they look good and is a good change for a new generation of kids to get that great feeling we had back in the day with our first toys. Obviously you will not give your vintage Kirk to your kid to play with...well this a good opotunity for us adults with kids to relive our childhood and share that with our kids...Kids...leave my Megos alone!!!
                      Last edited by jayihdz; Jun 28, '07, 2:03 PM. Reason: spell

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎