Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeoz
    Mego Maker
    • Mar 9, 2007

I'm in awe over your sculpting technique. I really enjoy seeing all the changes you make.
    Looking for:
    Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• jessica
      fortune favors the bold
      • Nov 5, 2007

I only have four more heads left to sculpt in my human pile, and one of them I am not touching because he's too handsome. I just remembered that I bought some figures from ActionMartin sometime this summer that I was going to give as presents for my boys this Christmas, but it looks like they are going to be churned into apes.

Edited to say: Scott, I just peeked in that box of figures I bought from you. (Never opened them before)...such wonderful human fodder for my ape creations!! The military clothing and accessories are great as well...I'll let my three boys pick one each from the pile and keep the rest for myself. What a good mommy I am.
      Last edited by jessica; Dec 11, '08, 4:17 PM.
      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

Julius progress shots.
        Attaching his lower muzzle...Perfect for holding a cigar:

In my haste to add hair (before Apoxie dried), I accidentally closed his lower jaw and "mushed it" grrrr....I tore it off and proceeded with the top of his hair

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Also tried but failed to add curls to Lucius. I did some minor study on how to add curly hair to a sculpt (I so love the internet--you can learn lots of things!!), and it's too difficult with Apoxie. I am going to try the technique I "learned" tomorrow using sculpey.

Didn't want to waste the Apoxie, and proceeded with Dr. Milo. Before makeup and progress shots:

His current state, after lots of massaging:

To do list:

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

You don't need to make yourself a Lucius if you're just making these 1/6 heads to shrink... Ian (Yanouli) sells a MEGO scale head of Lucius and Dr. Milo too...

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

I am waiting for Ian to send me Lucius Mego scale. I have not seen a closeup of Dr. Milo, but I do know he exists. From what I remember, I didn't think Medicom captured Dr. Milo.

Edited to say...Does anybody have a closeup of the Medicom Dr. Milo?
              Last edited by jessica; Dec 12, '08, 10:51 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by jessica
                I am waiting for Ian to send me Lucius Mego scale. I have not seen a closeup of Dr. Milo, but I do know he exists. From what I remember, I didn't think Medicom captured Dr. Milo.

Edited to say...Does anybody have a closeup of the Medicom Dr. Milo?
                True, their Milo doesn't quite capture his likeness, but it's certainly better than their Zira... While I like their Zira for a character ape (a generic ape made into a character), for a specific ape such as Zira, it is lacking... Truthfully she looks more like Carsia...

But, back to Milo, I would think a lot of the likeness would have to do with the paint job you'd give him... It's surprising what paint can do, and you could always do a little bit of your modification(s) like you did for the Medicom ESCAPE Cornelius... (Their "regular" Cornelius is a lot better, he looks more like he did in PLANET.)

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by apes3978
                  True, their Milo doesn't quite capture his likeness, but it's certainly better than their Zira... While I like their Zira for a character ape (a generic ape made into a character), for a specific ape such as Zira, it is lacking... Truthfully she looks more like Carsia...

But, back to Milo, I would think a lot of the likeness would have to do with the paint job you'd give him... It's surprising what paint can do, and you could always do a little bit of your modification(s) like you did for the Medicom ESCAPE Cornelius... (Their "regular" Cornelius is a lot better, he looks more like he did in PLANET.)
                  Ditto that regarding the Medicom Zira, Escape or Planet Zira...woof woof.

I didn't know that was "Escape" Cornelius...I thought that was the regular Cornelius!! Does anybody have a closeup of the Medicom Cornelius?

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

I cut clay into strips and layered it onto his head, trying to make it look like "waves". I didn't really like the way it looked, so I dented "curls" in with my fingertips. This is also a newfound sculpting medium for me...air dry sculpey. It feels great to sculpt with, but it dries out too fast and I am not used to it.

So....I went back to good old Apoxie. I figured that it wasn't working last night because the Apoxie had not cured to the right consistency yet and was making one big mess. As crazy as this sounds, I will probably sand this all down again and start all over because to me the hair is too big. I was just raring to go and try out the technique I read about. And...the back of his head looks like I was trying too hard.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

Here is how Dr. Milo's chin started out...I tried to cheat and make the teeth at the same time. You can't really see it now that it's all shaped up...I should have made the teeth look bigger. Oh well...

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

I was wondering why I wasn't really happy with Julius...I figured it was his muzzle. It was too wide for the eyes, so I went at it with a file to slim it down. Before and after. I will go back and smooth out the areas of the muzzle tomorrow, after I whip up some more Apoxie. I also accidentally sanded a part of his left brow, but his appearance looks better overall to me.

Now that I added more hair around his new muzzle, he is looking more like Julius (I hope!!)
                        Last edited by jessica; Dec 13, '08, 3:37 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• yokaijohn
                          Keep it coolin', baby
                          • Oct 1, 2008

I see Julius Now!He's looking Great!
                          Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Julius is almost done...just minor changes like cleaning up his eyebrows and muzzle area where I sanded, and closing up the gaps between his face and hairline...

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                              fortune favors the bold
                              • Nov 5, 2007

Galen from the TV series. In case anybody's wondering why I'm doing the apes I am doing in this order, which really is no particular order, it's because I am working from whatever photo references I have already.

Who is this human and why is he so damned ugly?

The glop for his muzzle was actually too big and I had to remove a little of it.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                                fortune favors the bold
                                • Nov 5, 2007

Dr. Milo:

To do list:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎