Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

The costumes are coming along great. Those kids are going to love these.

Comment

• jessica
      fortune favors the bold
      • Nov 5, 2007

My sister asked me to sculpt something for her but I said I couldn't promise...in case it looks like crap. Anyway, she asked me to sculpt this guy, and she said there are tons of reference photos. Norman Reedus aka Darryl Dixon. So I thought I would sculpt it in Mego scale for her. Ill post photos as soon as I have something recognizeable.

Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Chris
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 23, 2009

Yes!!! I will take one if you decide to cast and sell it. I've been waiting for some Walking Dead customs.

BTW, did comedian Dana Gould get in touch with you? He was interested in the spaceship pix you posted on facebook. I passed along the prop replica info.
        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Yes he found me on Facebook. My husband was wondering if Dana Gould was looking for more material for his comedy skits...

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• Chris
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by jessica
            Yes he found me on Facebook. My husband was wondering if Dana Gould was looking for more material for his comedy skits...
            That would be great if he was! He's the funniest comedian alive (IMO). He was on the Talking Dead a couple episodes ago and last night he was on The Simpsons. I'm delighted he is a POTA fan.
            If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

It wouldn't be funny to me if he was making fun of me though!!

Yahoo! Video Detail for Dana Gould as Hal Holbrook as Dr. Zaius as Mark Twain

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 23, 2009

That was brilliant! It's because of that clip that I'm reading Mark Twain's: Life on the Mississippi. Sadly, the book isn't that interesting even when I'm picturing Dr. Zaius as the lead.

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

Tadah! Presenting Darryl Dixon...It is now recognizable as a human face. You should have seen it earlier!!

Day 1:

Day 2: Methinks I should bake him now at this stage before I screw it up. It's hard to imagine without the eyes. I will build those up the next go around. Wish I had better side shots of him. I should make my sister find those for me since she's the one that wants this done.

Day 3:

Day 4:

If all goes well with Darryl, then Jon Bernthal may be a possibility:

I don't really understand this fascination for the Walking Dead...but I guess the same goes for my apes.
                  Last edited by jessica; Apr 6, '12, 11:09 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 23, 2009

So far so good! If you decide to sell the head it will be a nice fun custom to throw together.

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

OMG. I think he's almost done! Yay!

(using a Zica body. My sister says--yes!! MUSCLES!!)]

Here are some ongoing projects of mine.

This is a 1:6 scale samurai that I am finally going to try to make molds/casts of since I have fresh material. It was very brave of me but I managed to pop off his bun and it came off cleanly.

My goodness doesn't Mifune look just like George Washington on the left side of the photograph? It's my crazy way of making molds. I told my sister she will have to wait a bit on Darryl because I wanted to try something new for his neck based on what I have seen others do in 1:6 scale. Maybe it'll work...maybe not....but in any case you can't say I didn't try.

May 4: Life keeps getting busy for me. I have an insurmountable task of costumes to complete. These had to be pushed back so I could design the postcard announcement and the program. Those are done and printed now. However, I still have 18 pairs of anklets, arm bands, wrist bands to sew...that's 108 pieces...plus five more costumes....because the count of children has gone up to 20 again. Today I thought I could work on costumes but I have been out all day and got home past 9 PM. It's really impossible with my schedule to just get a breather. Sad to know that the costumes will only be onstage for 3 minutes or less. I have spent a ton of effort...blood sweat and tears...to get them where they are. And they're still not done. sigh.

May 5: Happy Cinco de Mayo! Goodness gracious! In my pursuit of perfecting the ape sculpt someone is going to give me about 10 heads from the movie Coraline. I get to use these as armatures. Hurray! I know I still have about 20 other human heads I can sculpt on top of for more 1:6 scale apes...(thanks Ironman!!---hope you are better Steve)...but I really would love to try these armatures. They are larger than 1:6. I won't really know how large or what scale they are...but I think they would make great ape busts.

June 4: OMG!! I only have Dylan's belt to do...and I AM DONE with these costumes. YAY!!! 40-gun salute in Ape City!! Apes can again be on my list of things to tackle.

June 26: STILL working on these freaking costumes. Two of the kids have outgrown their costumes...grrr...
                      Here is a photo of the king and queen. Too bad my friend forgot to add their arm bands and Ashton's royal sash. Anyway, so happy these costumes turned out nicely.

This is the costume with the chimp hieroglyphs. I slapped together the spear. My friend forgot to add the belt with loin cloth, the gold wrist bands and the headpiece.

July 6: Is anyone missing me? I am sorry to be hard to get a hold of lately--just recovering from too much stuff to do. I have these on my radar now: Ivanisky's painting, David's mold/cast/painting/sewing, my sister's Reedus mold/cast, something special for MeerkatMego. And a 1:6 suit/outfit that looks as difficult as the last suit I made in 1:6 scale, so I'm not really looking forward to working on it. Just thinking about that project. I was hoping to start on these projects this weekend, but I'm booked up all weekend with family stuff. I am around...just a moving target.

July 18: I know this paint application is just HORRIFIC but when I'm done, he will be spectacular. Ashton took the photo for me:

August 7, I ended up removing all of his paint...just needed to start over from scratch. His hair is not yet done though:

Superman in progress. First layer of paint:

Hurray! A mego-scale future torch...it has an on/off switch that could be extended so the CR 2032 battery can be hidden in the clothing, and it does not have the bulk of a chip that I could readily see. The torch was $1 for a pair of fake candles at the dollar store, and the on/off switch and shrink tube wrap were purchased from Evan Designs in Broomfield Colorado (www.modeltrainsoftware.com). I hate that flame. I will re-do it with glue when I get a chance...and build up the torch as well.

Superman update, September 24:

September 25: He is done. YAY! 40-gun salute in Ape City!!

October 8: OMG OMG OMG!!! I FINALLY found my Tim Ducca headsculpt...and I can scrap trying to sculpt Link! YAY!! So...I've been working on him on and off all day...this is how he looks. BTW, I started this project in September 2009. I guess I never give up or surrender. LOL!!

October 22?
                      Still futzing with Superman's right eye. Must keep at it...

Also...found some time to finish some molds:

Superman WIP, still futzing with his right eye:

Started this sculpt in October2010. Just finishing now:

Of course this guy is still very much in progress. Chugging along, but slowly. Here he is thinking, "Oh snap! Did I unplug the iron?"

Adding texture to Dodge, who is 1/6 scale:

Here he is in monster clay, because he will need tweaking:

Stuffed and Mounted Dodge:

Currently I am obsessed with getting him right. I feel like he is coming along and it's on the right track. yay!

Julius is not yet done. He looks too clean...so I need to muck him up a little!

May 25, 2013. Been working on Forbidden Zone Landon for a few days now. Current state:

Goal:

Oh...woe is me! It makes me ill to see Landon in this state---but it had to be done. He had some issues that I couldn't live with.

Last edited by jessica; May 28, '13, 8:25 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 23, 2009

Yeah!!!! Shane is great.

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

Hi guys and gals! I am busy sculpting apes 1:6 scale. What else is new!! I used to sculpt apes on top of human faces, but I can now sculpt completely from scratch. Wasn't sure if I should resurrect this old thread. Sorry mods if that's not cool. Anyway, Merry Christmas to everyone. Busy with life and stuff, and my ape obsessions. Be safe out there!! --Jessica.

Here is her beautiful cast:

Urko!!

Hunt Leader:

To do list:

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Warm holiday wishes to you & your family, Jessica--always great to see your work!
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                              Persistent Member
                              • Apr 28, 2013

Wow, those are beautiful. You have amazing talent, Jessica!

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

incredible stuff! I'm in awe.
                                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎