X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Big Jim for 1972

In the early seventies, Mattel toys had a big hit on their hands with Big Jim, a nine inch muscle bound sports hero/man's man who came packaged in his underpants.

Jim's entire structure was mostly built on non violent, positive activities such as sports and outdoor adventures. This seems to be the result of parental objections to G.I. Joe in the late sixties, early seventies which caused him to retire and become an adventurer.

1972 saw the introduction of Jim's pal Big Jack and the introduction of his Dune Buggy but the biggest thing for me is Big Jim's Camper. I must have spent a bajillion hours with that vinyl paradise. As goofy and safe as some of this stuff looks to me now, I can't deny that I thought it was the bomb in '73.

Check out the 1972 Big Jim Catalog here.

Thirsty for more Big Jim?

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • vulcan2074
    Live Long and Prosper
    • Mar 23, 2008

I'm Super Digging The Mexican Big Jim. I Never Knew they were that Cool
    Sammy

Comment

• sauce
      Removed
      • Jun 24, 2007

i gotta get me some jim and jeff and jack and jacoby and meyers
      so cooL! thanks for the spotlight Brian!
      :-)

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

I love Big Jim! As a kid, all I had was Big Jack, but now I have 2 Jims, Jack, Josh, Jeff, Dr. Steel, (but he had surgery, so he has a regular hand), Warpath, (renamed BlackHawk), and The Whip, (renamed Big John). I also have the camper, (and gear), the tent, (and gear) and a surprise baggie I got at a toy show full of clothes and more gear. I even have a coloring book and Big Jim paper dolls...er...figures.

Didn't these come w/ little comics in the package?
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I don't remember comics for the all star line, the pack is all i remember.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Big Jim Camper was without a doubt my all time fav action figure vehicle.

It even beats out my beloved 12" GI Joe army Jeep.

Comment

• David Lee
              The Fix-it-up Chappie
              • Jun 10, 2002

Hey... shouldn't "Warm up" come first in the sports line up above? I mean aren't we just begging for BJ to pull a "hammy"...

But I did love me so m Big Jim as a kid, always thought he looked alot like my cousin Terry...

-Dave

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

I always loved the arms on these figures
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Godzilla
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 3, 2002

Man that is my childhhood.
                  Mortui Vivos Docent
                  The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• miguet
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 11, 2007

Big Jim and friends are cool! I like the wide range of outfits and playsets available. I have the camper, kung fu studio, arctic rescue and a load of outfits. My favorite would have be the outfit with the eagle. The eagle reminds me of the one I had as a child. There is a button in back of one of the legs that you press and the wings flap. I don't have a picture of the actual one I own but I found this image online.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Do you think any kids actually put Jim in his warm up outfit and had him do a couple stretches before suiting him up for a game?
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

BIG JIM!!!!!!!! One of my childhood's most favorite toy lines for sure. I recieved the Big Jim RESCUE RIG as a Christmas present surpise. Great set with cherry picker basket, crane, and talking radio. The sports sets were great too! Only action figure set I ever completed in my chidlhood having had all 4 figures. I never understood why GIJOE didn't have sports sets.

Anybody else send in the M&M candy wrappers to get the free BIG JIM Basketbal uniform set advertised in the Sunday Comics?

Anybody know why the Big Jim Sports Boxed set of 3 uniforms and a figure is so hard to find. I looked for that everywhere as a kid and never had any luck.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                          OH JES!!
                          • Jul 21, 2005

I've said it before my second favorite line after Mego. Loved all the gear. I had the Camper and I would get lost in my rooms for hours playing with that.

I always loved the line because of all the different outfits he had. I remember when I had My Ali Mego I wanted more fighters for him and My Mom picked up Big Jack and Big Josh with the Boxing outfits.

The P.A.C.K Ruled!!!!!

I've said it before Mattel seriously needs to reissue these figures.....

Comment

• Captain
                            Fighting the good fight!
                            • Jun 17, 2001

This is the Big Jim I grew up with. Had a ton of them, plus the Honda dirt bike, the camper, and the Rescue Rig, which is the ultimate action figure vehicle....also doubled as a sickbay and engineering when it was time for Star Trek (the camper was Kirks quarters).

A couple years back I finally picked up a couple of the airplane playsets too....Fantastic stuff!! Wish I had it as a kid.

My only complaint with the line was the figures had a tendency to break...mainly the plastic balls that the legs pop onto.

I agree with Kingdom Warrior 100%--Mattel needs to re-issue this line...Max Steel just didnt cut it!!
                            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                              Career Member
                              • May 14, 2007

Yep, love me some Big Jim. I only had a few as a kid. I have a butt load as an adult. I've been selling repro decals and resin castings of BJ parts for some time now. Big Jim is a good seller for me. Count me as one of the collectors that would like Mattel to re-issue Big Jim. It would be just as a good seller for them as re-issue GIJoes have been for Hasbro. Max Steel just doesn't cut it for me or other Big Jim collectors.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎