Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "What should Castaway Do Next" Thread. (sorry Dave)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

A line based on Alex Ross's Super Powers book would be nice, or Astro City.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Action Martin
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 30, 2007

Green Hornet & Kato
      Doc Savage
      The Shadow
      The Avenger (pulp version)
      Flash Gordon
      I was never into Mandrake the Magician but if we are going to have the Phantom and Flash Gordon, we might as well have the Big 3 of KFS complete.

I'd also like to see Castaway produce teen-size bodies.
      Scott

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

I'd love to see Carl Kolchak...I know He would appeal to a certain Collector market. However...I don't think He would have a mass appeal, Kids don't know who He is.
        sigpic

Comment

• Type3Toys
          Home Of The Type3 Body
          • Jan 18, 2005

Originally posted by The Bat
          I'd love to see Carl Kolchak...I know He would appeal to a certain Collector market. However...I don't think He would have a mass appeal, Kids don't know who He is.
          True, BUT, I am not sure many kids bought Capt Action or Phantom. I wonder if Dave knows the answer to this. Perhaps on the Castaway site where a person orders there could be a small questionare where you can get certain info which would help to esablish a buying pattern. They could be optional to fill out of course.
          LOOK
          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• David Lee
            The Fix-it-up Chappie
            • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by Type3Toys
            True, BUT, I am not sure many kids bought Capt Action or Phantom. I wonder if Dave knows the answer to this. Perhaps on the Castaway site where a person orders there could be a small questionare where you can get certain info which would help to esablish a buying pattern. They could be optional to fill out of course.

I can tell you without much doubt in my mind, kids do not buy our figures. Now, some clever parents might buy them for their kids, but lets be real these are collectible figures of niche characters, most of which are unheard of by anyone younger than 35-40. That's ok... We know who we are selling to, we hold no illusions about it. As mainstream at Star Trek is I would venture to bet that even Doc's figures so rarely end up in kids hands, that they don't even blip the radar screen.

The point is simply; that's ok. We don't need them to be a kids toy to produce them. Nothing would make me happier, if they were, but they are not. This doesn't mean they can't be, it just means they are not right now... We get closer everyday we sell them to adults... The truth is, if we sell 10,000 figures we are ecstatic, if a toy line aimed at kids sells 10,000 units it's marginal at best...

We sell Pop culture and nostalgia using toys, as our vehicle; Big toy companies sell kids toys using popular culture and current themes as their vehicle....

-Dave

Comment

• censy
              thread killer
              • Sep 26, 2007

I love the idea of continuing with the retro heroes. As others have said, Flash Gordon, Mandrake, etc.

Are there comic book heroes, who's license would be easy to obtain? Characters from Charlton or other small publishers, like E-Man.

Chris

Comment

• AcroRay
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 17, 2005

My wish list:

Battle of the Planets characters. (...and start with Jason/Joe, not Ken/Mark!)
                Classic Speed Racer
                Captain Video
                (for my dad!)
                Ultraman

If Phantom proves popular, I'd think Solomon Kane might be a winner as well.

Some nice, classic supplementary characters would be nice, to go with our other sets:
                A nice classic "Doctor VanHelsing" would be nice, with vampire hunting gear.
                A "Mad Scientist" with a while lab coat, maybe with alternative 'crazy' and 'sinister' heads.

Think you could get a license for the Geico Caveman? Geico would probably buy a huge stock of 'em from you for their own purposes....
                Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
                AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
                The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
                Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• SoulSinger
                  Singer Of Mego Love
                  • Oct 22, 2007

Zorro would be fantastic!

Also, if an actor (or an actor's estate) would approve a sculpt, figures could be produced for customizers as a base. For example, a batman license is cost prohibitive, but maybe an Adam West license is not. George Reeves, Charleton Heston, john wayne....could all be customized into their characters by people who buy them. Whaddya think?

Bob

Comment

• censy
                    thread killer
                    • Sep 26, 2007

Battle of the Planets characters. (...and start with Jason/Joe, not Ken/Mark!)

Love this idea. How about Star Blazers/Yamato as well.

Chris

Comment

• SpaceCrawler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 20, 2008

I wish SOMEONE would do Jonny Quest. But while I like retro-Mego stuff, it isn't the most detailed/authentic style of action figure. I would probably hope for 12 inch versions of Quest, ideally. But as long as someone did them, it'd be cool.

Sean

Comment

• David Lee
                        The Fix-it-up Chappie
                        • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by SoulSinger
                        Zorro would be fantastic!

Also, if an actor (or an actor's estate) would approve a sculpt, figures could be produced for customizers as a base. For example, a batman license is cost prohibitive, but maybe an Adam West license is not. George Reeves, Charleton Heston, john wayne....could all be customized into their characters by people who buy them. Whaddya think?

Bob
                        I like this idea allot... But estates are no dummies themselves. We approached Vincent Price a few years ago and they wanted $80 grand
                        to make a figure... and I thought he was scarier alive! I have also heard that the "Waynes" are notoriously hard to work with likeness wise. But it is a good venue to pursue, even if on a smaller scale like a San Diego/NY Comicon exclusive 3-day scale. We have one or two we'd like to go after in this same vein, so this could be a very good possibility for us...

-Dave

Comment

• SoulSinger
                          Singer Of Mego Love
                          • Oct 22, 2007

Very cool Dave! I was thinking about this and it's sort of a way people can do figures that otherwise might not see the light of day. I hope it can happen!

Bob

Originally posted by David Lee
                          I like this idea allot... But estates are no dummies themselves. We approached Vincent Price a few years ago and they wanted $80 grand
                          to make a figure... and I thought he was scarier alive! I have also heard that the "Waynes" are notoriously hard to work with likeness wise. But it is a good venue to pursue, even if on a smaller scale like a San Diego/NY Comicon exclusive 3-day scale. We have one or two we'd like to go after in this same vein, so this could be a very good possibility for us...

-Dave

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

I've heard it's not "as hard" to get the license on older Characters(and Actors)...such as Bogart, or Cagney? And aren't You working on Trenchcoats & Fedoras...Man, would I LOVE to own an 8" Bogie.
                            sigpic

Comment

• SoulSinger
                              Singer Of Mego Love
                              • Oct 22, 2007

This could be the start of a beautiful friendship. (I apologize for the obscure Casablanca quote. LOL)

Bob

Originally posted by The Bat
                              I've heard it's not "as hard" to get the license on older Characters(and Actors)...such as Bogart, or Cagney? And aren't You working on Trenchcoats & Fedoras...Man, would I LOVE to own an 8" Bogie.

Comment

• spotter
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 6, 2008

Kolchak Please - then I can use the head for my Custom Christmas Story Set

Ultraman - always a fan

Speed racer - love to see captain action uniforms like the PM ones never released
                                Last edited by spotter; Nov 4, '08, 12:33 PM.
                                Looking for t1 LIZARD

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎