X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mego of the Day: Frankenbumps!

He never saw release but this cool concept of a figure was eventually retooled into Vac-Man in the 1990s. What is Frankenbumps? Here's what the patent says:

A stuffed toy includes a toy body, a tubular air control seat and an air extractor. The toy body is made from an air impermeable and stretchable cloth material and confines a hollow space that is stuffed with a solid filling material. The toy body is formed with a tubular connecting portion which defines an opening for accessing the hollow space. The air control seat is made from a pliable and resilient material and is secured in the tubular connecting portion of the toy body. The air control seat has a first tubular part and a second tubular part with a first end connected to the first tubular part and a second end that is formed with a control valve. The air extractor is secured in the first tubular part of the air control seat and is operable so as to draw air from the hollow space of the toy body into the air control seat in order to stiffen the toy body and enable the toy body to sustain a desired posture. The second tubular part of the air control seat is deformable to open the control valve and permit air flow into the hollow space of the toy body to release the toy body from the desired posture.

Phew!

There are currently no known samples of Mr Franken known to exist but maybe someday on will turn up.

More...
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

The sculpt looks cool, but that's about it really. I'm glad this was never produced
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• 4NDR01D
      Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
      • Jan 22, 2008

I'd love to have one, but probably wouldn't want to pay "they only one known to exist" type money for it.

Comment

• Chris DVM
        Veterinarian Member
        • Jun 18, 2001

Hey,
        I used to own the sample production box of this item. Pretty cool to look at, although it was just a box. Sold it to a Stretch Armstrong collector last year - it was neat, but he REALLY would enjoy it in his collection, so it was a win-win sale.
        Chris DVM
        "The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I've always thought that was cool, if a little odd. A good novelty toy. The box art was sweet as I recall.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• vulcan2074
            Live Long and Prosper
            • Mar 23, 2008

Very Interesting
            Sammy

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006