Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

I loved the Episode,.. it was really Fun & Fresh...

I think it is a Bit more so directed & aimed at Kids than Adults,.. it seems as if the Humor & Storys are more kid Friendly than any of the Timm Toons or even The Batman imo.

I never read a PlasticMan Comicbook Story Origion,... so was that Cartoon Correct then ? Was PlasticMan really One KiteMan's Henchmen , before He became PlasticMan ? If so,.. thats Fantastic.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

^ BK, In the comics Plastic Man was formerly gangster Eel O'Brien who turned hero when he got the acids in his wounds that transformed him into Plastic Man...but Kite Man never figured into the equation.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

^^^ Ah,.. good to Know.

Whata Neat Set of Villians so Far for the Toon... After 2 Episodes We have Scene Grodd, KiteMan, The Gentlemen's Ghost, ClockKing & that Dude in Space... ( forgot his name) . .... You Know CalanderMan & Rainbow Bright Batman are comming.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

I forgot to watch the blue beetle one.

I like the Plastic Man episode. He is character that gives you no opportunity to say -How is that possible - because it is soo far out there. a serious tongue in cheek guy.

the batman was ok - maybe will grow on me

gorilla grodd is a lame bad guy - this episode didn't do anything for him

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Heroes turning into Apes. Dinosaur Island. Kite Man.
            The only thing missing was the Go-go checkerboard to make it completely silver age.

Despite the recycling of the "Grodd turns everyone into Gorillas" story that I hope to NEVER see again, this episode was fantastic. I liked their playing with the plastic man character, gave him some dimension.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• vulcan2074
              Live Long and Prosper
              • Mar 23, 2008

Batman is Kicking Butt. I'm really Likeing The Brave and the Bold. It's Really Good. It's Definately Worth Watching
              Sammy

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                Whata Neat Set of Villians so Far for the Toon... that Dude in Space... ( forgot his name) . ....
                That'd be Kanjar Ro

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

I liked the part where Plastic Man turned into the shovel and was used to scoop dinosaur poo. It's just something you wouldn't expect to see. Yeah it was a little childish but it worked.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                    I liked the part where Plastic Man turned into the shovel and was used to scoop dinosaur poo. It's just something you wouldn't expect to see.

That WAS Fantastic !!!!!

Comment

• Action Martin
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                      ^ BK, In the comics Plastic Man was formerly gangster Eel O'Brien who turned hero when he got the acids in his wounds that transformed him into Plastic Man...but Kite Man never figured into the equation.
                      Not only that but Plastic Man wasn't even a DC character. Plastic Man started out over at Quality Comics and then made his way to DC when DC purchased his rights and the rights to Robin Hood and G.I. COMBAT.

Despite popular belief DC never purchased the rights to Uncle Sam, Black Condor, the Ray, Phantom Lady, Human Bomb, Doll Man, and Firebrand.
                      Scott

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Action Martin
                        Not only that but Plastic Man wasn't even a DC character. Plastic Man started out over at Quality Comics and then made his way to DC when DC purchased his rights and the rights to Robin Hood and G.I. COMBAT.

Despite popular belief DC never purchased the rights to Uncle Sam, Black Condor, the Ray, Phantom Lady, Human Bomb, Doll Man, and Firebrand.
                        Right....DC played fast and loose when they "acquired" these characters and some of the Fawcett characters (i.e. Bulletman, Ibis, Mr. Scarlet, etc.) in the 70s.

This explains the case for the Freedom Fighters pretty well (Comic Urban Legends):

The Freedom Fighters were all published by Quality Comics until it went out of business in the 1950s, and eventually sold all its rights to DC Comics. The thing is, during this period in time, Quality allowed the copyright to lapse on their characters. This was not a strange occurance at the time, as very few companies actually bothered to renew their copyrights, as Quality quite reasonably did not feel as though there was anything to be gained by sustaining the copyright on the characters. Comics were a month by month enterprise. In addition, even had they WANTED to renew the copyrights, as the terms expired while the company was out of business, they couldn't ANYways.

So there you have it - you CAN write a comic book featuring the Ray, Phantom Lady, Human Bomb, etc.

The next question is, though, can you title the comic Phantom Lady, Human Bomb, The Ray, etc.? That is an issue for trademark to address. Copyright just dictates whether you can use the characters and/or reprint their stories. Trademark protects consumers by assuring that if they see, say, a comic with Batman on the cover, that the comic book WILL be by DC Comics. This is designed to protect consumers from bootleg (i.e. inferior) material.

The strongest protection regarding trademarks comes when someone registers a trademark with the federal government. However, this is NOT the only way to protect a trademark, it is just the easiest (for if it is registered, the presumption cuts directly to the person/group who registered the trademark). A great deal of comic book characters have NOT been registered as trademarks. Of the Quality Comics characters, DC has only registered Plastic Man and the Blackhawks for trademark protection. For the others, you would have a SHOT, but even though DC did not REGISTER the names as trademarks, the fact that they published a comic book titled The Ray and Black Condor would be a strong argument in DC's favor that they have a trademark on those characters.

So, while you can certainly write a comic featuring the Human Bomb, Phantom Lady, etc., you would probably not be able to advertise it as such.

Their deaths, though, mean basically nothing (except there is less chance for a comic featuring them to be placed into the stream of commerce, which, after awhile, would bolster an outsider's attempts at claiming DC was not protecting their trademark. In addition, if they are dead, perhaps DC would not even TRY to defend their trademark on the characters).

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Sooooo.........what did everyone think of their version of Aquaman?

Comment

• BlackKnight
                            The DarkSide Customizer
                            • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                            Sooooo.........what did everyone think of their version of Aquaman?
                            Although I liked the look of the character,.. I pretty much disliked all of the writing done with his lines. I feel Aquaman took a Few shots backwards in everything his character has achieved these past few yrs,.. & went back to the relm beyond Cheese.

I mean, come on,.. the Guy Said " UnGuard" to Black Manta... Who even does that anymore ?

I did enjoy everything else about the UnderWater Adventure.

Comment

• Action Martin
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 30, 2007

A very so-so episode. I didn't like the way Aquaman was portrayed and the way he appeared.
                              Scott

Comment

• Megotu
                                jerk
                                • Dec 16, 2001

I LOVED the way they did Aquaman. They kept the original look and added the beard from current story lines and then had him as if he were being played by Charlton Heston. And he didn't say "Unguard"...he said "En garde!" The whole concept of naming his adventures, that was a hilarious skewering of the 1960s comic books and cartoons.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎