X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Bill Mantlo, Michael Golden, Micronauts

I just picked up The Bill Mantlo Benefit Book aka, MANTLO: A LIFE IN COMICS, at Jim Hanley's Universe in NYC. The proceeds of this publication go towards Bill Mantlo who used to write The Micronauts.

Modern Masters Vol. 12: In The Studio With Michael Golden. The book is reportedly coming out,Wednesday 27 June, 2007 the DVD is scheduled for release on Tuesday, July 31, 2007, ( and can be ordered thru Amazon-link at top).

You should really read Dave's Innerspace Online interview with Michael Golden. It's also very good. I don't know what is going to be on the DVD but I'm prepared to be blown away.
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

I just picked up Modern Masters Vol. 12: Michael Golden from Jim Hanley's Universe in Manhattan, NY. I was under the impression it was to be released 2weeks ago and have been pestering them since. Finally I got it.

There is some really great art in here but as far as Micronauts goes there is a brief chapter and not much more. The interview at Innerspace online has more behind the scenes info than this. I think the problem here is that much of Mr. Golden's art from Marvel in the 70's is now gone-either destroyed or given away.

In any case I still recommend the book. Mr. Golden's art is fantastic in any case.

Comment

• geotroid
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
      • Mar 23, 2006

Thanks for the news tip - I'll have to look around and get a copy of that DVD for myself! Golden's work anon the first twelve issues of Marvel's Micronauts are greatly revered and, any additional insight on that diffinitive era is appreciated!
      Chris Farley: "Mother of Mercy, I don't speak Japanese!!!"

Comment

• AcroRay
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 17, 2005

I just re-read the Devil's Due KARZA mini-series, and I think Steve Kurth deserves some real credit as a Micronauts artist as well. He has an excellent grasp of the characters and all the broad range of influences that have gone into their designs - even Microman.

The KARZA mini-series is cheap to fine. I highly recommend it for a Micronauts comic collection as well. Surprisingly, It even ties directly back in to the Marvel comic as well...
        Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
        AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
        The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
        Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• danadoll
          Micronaut Nut!
          • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by AcroRay
          I just re-read the Devil's Due KARZA mini-series, and I think Steve Kurth deserves some real credit as a Micronauts artist as well. He has an excellent grasp of the characters and all the broad range of influences that have gone into their designs - even Microman.

The KARZA mini-series is cheap to fine. I highly recommend it for a Micronauts comic collection as well. Surprisingly, It even ties directly back in to the Marvel comic as well...
          They tie into the old Marvel comics? Really?...Oh man...Now I've got to hunt these comics down.

Dana
          "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>The KARZA mini-series is cheap to fine. I highly recommend it for a Micronauts comic collection as well.

Hmmmm.... I'm still leary since I didn't like their Micronauts series.

Don C.

Comment

• AcroRay
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 17, 2005

Originally posted by danadoll
              They tie into the old Marvel comics? Really?...Oh man...Now I've got to hunt these comics down.
              At the end. At risk of spoilers, it works out a little like the Mike Moorcock eternal champion formula.

Originally posted by ctc
              I'm still leary since I didn't like their Micronauts series.
              I wasn't a big fan of it either. KARZA blew me away, though.
              Last edited by AcroRay; Jul 31, '07, 3:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
              AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
              The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
              Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• aquatroy
                Permanent Member
                • Apr 28, 2002

Joe Rubinstein should also get some credit for the amazing quality of the illustration in Micronauts 1-12.
                Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• imp
                  Mego Book Author
                  • Apr 20, 2003

This weekend, I sat on the TwoMorrows panel at San Diego Comic-Con with Eric Nolen-Weathington, author of Modern Masters Volume 12: Michael Golden.

During the panel, I was struck by the multimedia slide promoting the book, which prominently displayed a page from Golden's run on the Micronauts comic book series.

Admittedly, I'm no Micronauts aficionado, but I thought it was cool. I certainly enjoyed the comics as a kid.

Benjamin

Comment

• johnmiic
                    Adrift
                    • Sep 6, 2002

Golden's unproduceed characters, not ever made in 3 & 3/4 inch, would certainly make great 8" figures.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎