Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Whether a funny or serious storyline, Bruce Campbell would be great.
    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      I can't see Depp speaking in stilited Jay Silverheels type-speak:
      "Hmm, Kemosabe. Me go town. Get roughed up by bigot white man. They string me up. You ride in. Shoot rope."

Chris
      I won't comment on the native American part, but I can see him talk like that. His speech as Captain Jack in Pirates of the Carribean wasn't much better
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Well...it's not quite as bad as John Wayne playing an Indian.
        sigpic

Comment

• hobub
          Ghost of a Dead Indian
          • Jun 18, 2001

I couldn't see Depp doing anything positive to the part of Tonto. They need a full-blooded American Indian. I couldn't see him in that any more than I could see him doing a remake of this Spot.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Sorry...that was a HORRIBLE movie.

The dude couldn't shoot until he was given silver bullets???

And the climatic scene ends with a fistfight???

Terrible flick.
            I'm not going to defend it, it is BAD, overall. But it didn't have to be. It had several good elements going for it, it just didn't get there. There's good work done in that movie, but without a strong lead, it goes all to hell. And the hokey things you mentioned don't help,although those aren't any worse than some of the hokey elements of contemporary movies like Superman II (like Super-Cellophane for instance). I think I appreciate the attempt and the scope. It's a bad movie I just kind of like, despite it's failings.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Lou Diamond Phillips is the only part Indian I can think of, but I think today he'd be too old.
              He's gotta be in his mid 40's by now.

Comment

• RG
                Removed.
                • Oct 1, 2004

Lone Ranger and Tonto are such big icons ... the only way I feel that they could get it to work is to cast new actors that haven't made it big, who are very close to Moore and Silverheels.

Depp is a good actor ... but I have my doubts ... strong doubts

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  I'm not going to defend it, it is BAD, overall. But it didn't have to be. It had several good elements going for it, it just didn't get there. There's good work done in that movie, but without a strong lead, it goes all to hell. And the hokey things you mentioned don't help,although those aren't any worse than some of the hokey elements of contemporary movies like Superman II (like Super-Cellophane for instance). I think I appreciate the attempt and the scope. It's a bad movie I just kind of like, despite it's failings.

Chris
                  Good points.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I love Depp, but would prefer someone more "authentic" looking.
                    If they DO pick him, I want Will Smith as The Lone Ranger.
                    Keanu Reeves and Hugh Grant (combined) as Silver: Keanu the front part ("Woaw, I'm a horse, dude"), and Hugh as the rear end, which shouldn't be a great stretch.

Man, this movie has so much star potential....
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk
                      Lou Diamond Phillips is the only part Indian I can think of, but I think today he'd be too old.
                      He's gotta be in his mid 40's by now.
                      I wanted them to cast up and coming young actor Rudy Youngblood from Mel Gibson's Apocalypto film...he would've been perfect:

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                        I love Depp, but would prefer someone more "authentic" looking.
                        If they DO pick him, I want Will Smith as The Lone Ranger.
                        Keanu Reeves and Hugh Grant (combined) as Silver: Keanu the front part ("Woaw, I'm a horse, dude"), and Hugh as the rear end, which shouldn't be a great stretch.

Man, this movie has so much star potential....
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Native Americans are going to be up in arms about Depp being cast as Tonto...you know that's coming soon....especially in this day and age.

Depp just doesn't have enough Native American in him.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hector
                            Native Americans are going to be up in arms about Depp being cast as Tonto...you know that's coming soon....especially in this day and age.
                            Considering Hollywood has long negative history of its depiction of Native Americans it's understandable. It probably wasn't until Dances with Wolves that it started to be more common place to actually cast Native people in Native parts and show them in a more realistic or more positive portrayal.

When I was growing up I remember seeing loads of "classic" westerns where the Native people were portrayed by white people painted red and talking in broken English. Mostly saying inaccurate and cringe worthy stuff like "ugh" and "how".
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Yes...exactly.

sigpic

Comment

• Adam West
                                Museum CPA
                                • Apr 14, 2003

This doesn't seem like the type of role Depp would take so I suspect that they threw a lot of money at him to film the Pirates of the Carribean sequel and put a clause in his contract that he had to do a few more Disney movies.

I actually like the creepy roles that he takes in most movies. That's why I think he could be an excellent Riddler for the next Batman movie.
                                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎