Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sandman9580
    Career Member
    • Feb 16, 2010

Just came across this thread in a search, and I am blown away. That first shot is jaw-dropping! I understand you are simplifying the design, but I gotta say I love the stairs and the bridge! I'm sure you've thought of this already, but I wonder if there was some way you could get some pieces--or one big central piece--vacuuformed, and then have that "fit" into the vinyl set. I've spent some time looking around monster model sites, and there's a lot of guys who make castle/dungeon-type dioramas, and then cast the pieces in resin and sell them. Mego is roughly the same scale as a lot of the old Aurora models, and that scale is very popular with figure modelers (as are the Apes themselves). Maybe a collaboration could be struck? Say, one central piece that could be made cost-effective by incorporating into other "Super Didas"? (Castle, Pirate's Cove, Mad Scientist's Lab, Supervillan Hide-out, Star Trek environment... yeah... alright, easy for me to suggest, I know. As Blondie sang, dreaming is free. : )

Anyway, this looks beautiful. I've always liked playsets that utilize flat backgrounds, and have a kind of stage-y, movie-set quality to them. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Comment

• cdhall
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 14, 2004

Wow

Scott, you are a genius. Mattel needs to call you. You need to do a Playset for the WGSH.

Duh.

I am still hoping to place that order we discussed but I will get to you when I'm ready. I know the offer may expire.

This looks awesome though. If my Trek guys land on this planet, maybe chasing GL and Sinestro... this could come in handy...
      —-
      “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
      - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
      - Captain Spock
      https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Sandman,

I have a POTA Tribox set that can be folded out into a stage playset, and it's so cool. Space saving, and good play value. No, Scott did NOT pay me to say this. But if space or money is an issue, than this is a good solution.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Sandman9580
          Career Member
          • Feb 16, 2010

That sounds really cool HardyGirl! I'm not seeing any POTA displays on the Dida site, so was this like a DIY kit, or commission or something?

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

It's not on the website yet. I'm not doing a lot of Didas right now, so I'm not actively promoting new stuff. I have 3 of these POTA deluxe sets I am finishing now. I'll have new pics of the final product soon.

Thanks for the ideas re: vacu-forming. I've investigated it, I'm just not inclined to get involved with all those complications. I like doing as much as I possibly can with Dida parts and simple solutions like laminated art. The bridge is looking pretty great in all
            it's dorky glory.
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Sandman9580
              Career Member
              • Feb 16, 2010

Thanks for the info, Scott. Glad to hear you kept the bridge, that's my favorite feature! Can't wait to see these...

Comment

• DocDrako
                Formerly Doc Drako
                • Nov 11, 2004

The only thing I don't like about your work Scott, is the fact that I can't afford to own every last piece you design.

Great work as usual!

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• cdhall
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 14, 2004

A-men

Originally posted by DocDrako
                  The only thing I don't like about your work Scott, is the fact that I can't afford to own every last piece you design.

Great work as usual!

I second that.
                  —-
                  “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
                  - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
                  - Captain Spock
                  https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍