Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

I actually bought a Scout this past weekend at a flea market, with stand for $2.00. The seller thought it was a breyer horse. Worked out well, since I got a complete Tonto in a mego lot a few years ago.

My Ranger is in need of repair and cleaning, and in need of Silver... but it's good to see Tonto riding high.

I love this line.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• batty
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 9, 2006

This was one of the best lines there has been made, hands down. So far in my collection of 10" figures I have : Lone Ranger w/ Silver, Tonto w/ Scout, Butch Cavendish w/ Smoke, and I also have the Carson City Playset. I plan to build a display cabinet for all my Megos, playsets, Lone Ranger figures and town real soon. Being a cabinet maker for a living should provide some usefulness,....HAHA! Anyway, soon as I get the time to do it, I'll get some pictures out. Catch y'all later!--B.

Comment

• saildog
        Permanent Member
        • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by batty
        This was one of the best lines there has been made, hands down. So far in my collection of 10" figures I have : Lone Ranger w/ Silver, Tonto w/ Scout, Butch Cavendish w/ Smoke, and I also have the Carson City Playset. I plan to build a display cabinet for all my Megos, playsets, Lone Ranger figures and town real soon. Being a cabinet maker for a living should provide some usefulness,....HAHA! Anyway, soon as I get the time to do it, I'll get some pictures out. Catch y'all later!--B.
        Definitely want to see some pictures when you get the display built. Sounds like you have a killer Lone Ranger collection.

Comment

• English Paul
          Archive cased.
          • Aug 17, 2005

I was fortunate enough to win a boxed Lone Ranger and boxed Tonto in this years Megomeet raffle thanks to a very generous donor. They are just fantastic figures. I had wanted a Lone Ranger to replace my childhood one for such a long time. The one I won was still sealed in the baggie but temptation got the better of me and I opened the bag after he`d been untouched for 30 years. I needed to see him with the mask and hat on again. They are now definately firm favourites as part of my collection.
          "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

My dad is a big Lone Ranger fan, having been lucky enough to be a kid during the Ranger's radio heyday. So I've always had an affection for the Masked Rider of the Plains. My grandparents gave me the Lone Ranger/Silver and Tonto/Scout reissue giftsets for Christmas the year "The Legend of the Lone Ranger" was released. I love them and played with them a lot, but only the horses survived in any kind of shape.I picked up a decent Tonto back in the late 90s, but I just couldn't find a nice complete Ranger.

A few years ago while on vacation my wife and I visited an antqiue mall. I looked over and there was the Lone Ranger, with his awesome painted box. As I walked over the William Tell overture played in my brain. I had to have it. Now I have them all displayed in a case that once belonged to my granfather. Pretty appropriate, I think!

It would be pretty easy for me to plunge headfirst into collecting this line. Maybe after I get all the WGSH wrapped up...

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Doombuggy64
              • Sep 4, 2018

I recently started collecting the Gabriel/Hubley/Marx Lone Ranger sets and figures again this year after my childhood sets long were used and tossed away.

My question for anyone that may know. The elastic on the legs for all my figures, and even ones I get on Ebay now are all loose and worn. I have a way of getting into the legs and replacing the elastic, but my problem is finding elastic bands that work well. I have tried on a couple of figures the GI restring "bungee" elastic but it doesn't work very well because it's too thick for those small figures to pull through the torso and then clamp them off with metal rings. The area where they hook inside the chest doesn't offer a lot of room, especially with moving torso. If anyone who has these and has repaired the elastic would be kind enough to help me find something that works, I would very much appreciate it. Fortunately the arms are on wire springs and they seem to have durable lasting power. Thanks!

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                Veteran Member
                • May 15, 2012

I never had to crack open the legs and replace the elastic. I cut open the chest only. When the chest is open, you can remove the legs through the pelvis without cracking it. I remove the metal clips off the elastic using a flat screwdriver and pliers. Some people use other connectors, I just reuse those metal clips. I move them further down on the stretched elastic. Crimp the clips back on. Cut the extra elastic off. Reassemble and super glue the body shut.

Comment

• Doombuggy64
                  • Sep 4, 2018

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                  I never had to crack open the legs and replace the elastic. I cut open the chest only. When the chest is open, you can remove the legs through the pelvis without cracking it. I remove the metal clips off the elastic using a flat screwdriver and pliers. Some people use other connectors, I just reuse those metal clips. I move them further down on the stretched elastic. Crimp the clips back on. Cut the extra elastic off. Reassemble and super glue the body shut.
                  Thanks so much for the reply. I did see that webpage that shows how to pull the old plastic down and stretch it, then cut it. I have broken open the chest too but the legs are impossible. They shatter if you try to even attempt it. I was able to do what you said on one of the figures. Pull up the old elastic, crop it off. The problem I have with that is the elastic is so old, that even pulled and stretched makes the legs still sort of floppy. There has to be some elastic out there that matches the original Gabriel kind. Also I have noticed that some figures only have one strand of elastic in each of the legs and others have two per leg. This has to do with the fact that some were made in Taiwan and others in Hong Kong. Must have been the later ones that used just one strand each leg.

I only did it on one figure but my idea was to drill down in the leg and completely remove the old elastic entirely. Inside the leg is just a metal "hubcap" that has the elastic tied around it. With the hole in the leg, I was able to use that hubcap and tie on some fresh elastic, (GI JOE elastic) and drop it inside the leg. I then filled up the hole with hot glue and it keeps it completely locked in place. Then I just pulled that elastic up and hooked it to the chest with the loop fasteners. It worked okay, but the problem is the GI Joe elastic does not match the original Gabriel elastic. It's too thick and it makes it hard to close off the chest completely. I thought about using O Rings they are small and thin, but they only seem to work with Mego's. I guess I will keep looking. Thanks to Gabriel's goofy leg design, these are some of the worst figures to try and completely repair!

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 15, 2012

I have tried to find elastic for other figure repairs: restringing an LJN Rookies figure. I agree with you. There isn't much of a selection out there and nothing close to what was used originally. 3 of my 5 original Lone Ranger figures were loose. 1 had a busted knee and another had chipped plastic around the feet. I ended up buying replacement bodies on eBay that were tight and using all my accessories. Cost was $10-$15 each. You just have to ask a lot of questions to make sure they are tight before buying. I've also bought, repaired, completed, and sold a few sets. For some of those, I did body part transplants from extra figures when I could. I say when I could because in addition to being made in Taiwan and Hong Kong, these were also made in many color variations in the plastic. I applaud you for the effort you are putting into repairing them. Despite their glued together design, they are a fantastic line to have. If you need extra accessories, I may have some laying around.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 29, 2018

Omg seeing slippery on this thread was like an lsd flashback. I thought she was a hallucination ...with her clown makeup.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎