Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mego Warehouse Mystery Solved… Or Is It?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Mego Warehouse Mystery Solved… Or Is It?

Well, after much effort, Dan (Superunderdoggie) and I got inside the famed Mego Warehouse on Long Island. And yes, there is a mural. BUT…

At first and at second try, both Dan and I had been refused entrance to the property. I don’t think it was out of malice or anything, but rather just the general sense of security that companies have these days. It really is just a pretty simple, non-descript storage facility. But then again, it was the pretty simple, non-descript MEGO storage facility some 30 years ago. So we tried another route. I used some of media cred to try to talk some of the upper management into convincing the on-site management to let us in. After a bit of haggling, it was approved and today was the day.

The building-

Dan in the lobby. Now that paneling HAD to be left over from the Mego days!

Inside-

The manager of the place was pretty nice and walked us around. He seemed interested in the history of the property and asked us some questions regarding the warehouse and the adjacent building (now owned by a separate company). In fact, he told us the story about how a few years back, the floor began to collapse in a certain area. They weren’t sure why until they discovered a previously unknown (to them, anyway. They had but to sign on to the Mego Museum or buy Benjamin’s book and they would have known about the) underground tunnel. It had apparently been sealed off with cement before each property was sold separately. So the present owners just covered it up, reinforced it and forgot about it. There is a legend at the warehouse that there’s still a forklift in there. Dan and I, of course, were wondering if there were any other Mego artifacts. If only they would have allowed us to use a few, tiny sticks of dynamite.

You can see a bit of the depression and cracks in the ground. Its right beneath dock #14 that the tunnel still exists.

The two buildings they do own are now connected buy an additional cement room. When Mego owned the property they were two separate buildings with parking in between. We walked though to the rear building to find on the back two walls, about 40 yards long on one side and another 60-70 on the adjacent wall, a huge mural. Now the mural is covered by metal shelving units, stacked with various merchandise. You can’t see a lot of it, but you can see enough. I always pictured it to a be filled toys or at least the characters Mego had licensed. It is not. It is simple park setting, with lots of green grass and people strolling, sitting, jogging, etc. Mostly its just grass. The other odd thing was that it looked signed by someone called Meryl. The date attached was 1983-4. If this was, indeed, the artist signing his work, that would mean this mural was painted AFTER Mego.

Some of the Mural-

More of what you can see-

That made us wonder if this mural had or had not been the legendary one gracing the Mego warehouse back in the glorious “day.” The other question I had was where the legendary Mego mural was in the warehouse. I always thought it was in a lunch room. The manager, however, told us there are no water lines that far into the building. They wanted to add a bathroom back there but couldn’t. Had Mego used that area as a break room they would have surely had some sort of water supply. And if the new owners had decided to not use the water, they would have simply capped the pipes rather than go to the major hassle of taking them out.

All in all, there was absolutely no evidence that Mego ever housed these properties. We, of course, know it to be true, but there was even an old sign or pen. Dan even checked a few breaker boxes just to make sure none indicated the power to “Marty’s Office.” Not even the bathrooms contained any archeological finds. Still it was cool to walk around, thinking of the floor-to ceiling toys that once were stacked here.

Back on the Shelves-

So after seeing 2 of the 3 former Mego buildings and thinking this was not the mural of legend, Dan and I thought we needed to see the now separately owned building. The one to which the underground tunnel led. They, however, left their position to no uncertainties- no one but employees could enter. I doubt there would have been anything to prove that a once mighty toy company lived there, but we wanted to see while we there. Oh well. That part of the mystery lives on.

I do have more pictures, but am having my usual bouts of computer illiteracy. I'll keep trying and maybe Dan can post some of his.
    Last edited by Wee67; Sep 10, '08, 9:29 PM.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

man that's great stuff guys.
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

That's the coolest story, even if you didn't find anything. Someone needs to get hired at the other building, just to be safe.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Even if you can no longer see signs that Mego used to be there, it's still very interesting to hear about and see this place. It's very cool that you guys got a chance to do this. Looking forward to more pics!

Comment

• Uni
          Museum Patron
          • Sep 7, 2008

Even the architecture is mego-era-looking! Very cool story and cool pic so far.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

yup the whole building has that 70's vibe thing going on just look at the chairs,definitely late 70's early 80's
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• fallensaviour
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 28, 2006

Very cool.
              That must have been a very powerful feeling to actually be standing there.
              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

HAHA, Supes and Hulk have come home!!

What is done there now?

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by ScottA
                  HAHA, Supes and Hulk have come home!!

What is done there now?
                  It was an Eckards District Office or something to that affect. The business next door I think is a Natures Bounty Vitamin Warehouse...I think. Used to do deliveries to Natures Bounty when I was in the Printing Industry.

Comment

• AAAAA
                    Permanent Member
                    • Oct 28, 2005

mural Itself could have been painted over, thats not uncommon.

Comment

• SUPERUNDERDOGGIE
                      Museum Chaplain
                      • Nov 26, 2002

Bill has pretty much covered the background of our visit. The only thing I will add is that when I found out we were going I did some research and found some info on the facility in a legal brief and I want to share that with you. (I have edited the following to make it easier to read)

"Mego is a toy manufacturer headquartered in Manhattan, with centralized payroll processing and purchasing. Prior to 1979, its manufacturing plants were located solely in Bohemia, N. Y., where about 160 warehousemen and production and maintenance workers were employed. In April, 1979, Mego opened a new plant in Brentwood, N. Y., approximately ten miles from the Bohemia site.The court found that all the employees began as new hires at Brentwood and that none were transferred from the Bohemia plants; that the jobs at both locations involved unskilled labor; there was little interchange or contact between Brentwood and Bohemia employees; that sixty percent of the Brentwood operation concerned the production of rubber-skinned dolls; that the other forty percent of the work done at Brentwood consisted of "pack out" or the assembling and packaging of component parts; that only five percent of the dolls packed out at Brentwood were produced at the Bohemia facilities; that eighty percent of the Brentwood operation was never performed at Bohemia; that prior to July 1, 1979, the Brentwood plant manager hired all the Brentwood employees, and shared responsibility with the plant foreman over job training, transfers, discipline, and overtime pay; and that Mego's vice president in Manhatten (probably Neal Kublan) was responsible for production at all of the company's plants."

So...it seems fairly obvious that during the heyday of Megodom up until 1979 the Bohemia facility was the only domestic manufacturing location and dominant distribution center in the US. Seeing the actual site....NO WONDER! The place is really, really huge. In Mego's day it would have spanned 3 buildings and more than 350,000 sq ft. That's a lot of space folks. (Think of 175 2,000 sq. ft. houses!)

Now here's some more pics of our visit today!!

Here's a photo of me inside with Superman. To get a little feel for the size of the place....look at the ceiling lights and follow them all the way back...this is going side to side and its about 10x this long!!

Here is Bill in front of the "famous" Mural...or should I say the Imposter Mural!

Ah...Superman and Batman back on the shelf after almost 30 years.

This photo was intentionally taken to give props to Mr. Benjamin Holcolmb and his book...World's Greatest Toys...Mego lives at the Bohemia Warehouse!

Here's Bill in the rather fashionable 1970's styled wood panel foyer. He brought his Batman...what a nerd!! (joke)

Last edited by SUPERUNDERDOGGIE; Sep 10, '08, 9:48 PM.
                      "God has put definite limits on the heights of man's wisdom, but no limits to the depths of his stupidity"

Comment

• SUPERUNDERDOGGIE
                        Museum Chaplain
                        • Nov 26, 2002

Originally posted by ScottA
                        What is done there now?
                        Scott...basically the same thing...this is a bare bones distribution facility. Stuff comes in bulk...gets organized into smaller deliveries...and goes out to stores. Not much to see but it was still cool to close my eyes and imagine I was surrounded by boxes of toys instead of potato chips or whatever is in the boxes today.
                        "God has put definite limits on the heights of man's wisdom, but no limits to the depths of his stupidity"

Comment

• txteach
                          Banned
                          • Jun 17, 2005

Very cool story! Being a history teacher I'd love to have been with you guys.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                            Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                            • Oct 8, 2007

That is a great story. Expecially with two grown guys in suits, with a sack full of megos. Outstanding work. Interesting fieldtrip and recon. Thanks for sharing your info.
                            "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• ScottA
                              Original Member
                              • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by SUPERUNDERDOGGIE
                              Scott...basically the same thing...this is a bare bones distribution facility. Stuff comes in bulk...gets organized into smaller deliveries...and goes out to stores. Not much to see but it was still cool to close my eyes and imagine I was surrounded by boxes of toys instead of potato chips or whatever is in the boxes today.
                              Too bad someone at Mego didn't take some photos of the warehouse stuffed during the heyday. Imagine what we'd see. Still cool you guys got to "walk in the footsteps".

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎