Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES PLAYSET ...sort of...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ditcin
    Museum Patron
    • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
    Fantastic story and wonderful pics, Scott! As a fan of both Mego and POTA since I was a kid, I'm very jealous. It's only the stuff of dreams for most of us. I'd love to hear about anything more you can tell us.

BTW, you mentioned something about Fox having problems with the Blu-ray release of the films? Does this mean such a release won't be happening soon? I'm dying to see these films in hi def.
    There's a POTA Blu collection due in Nov. The problem is it will have a lot of the bonus stuff previously released. I've spoken with them about trying to get different trailers adding TV spots and radio spots. I've also been in contact wit them about finding the missing scenes from PLANET, the PROLOG from ESCAPE. They've produced new featurettes in Hi-Def but I don't expect them to be much since FOX dragged its feet and most of the production people concerned have since passed away.

On the plus side it will contain both versions of BATTLE. - and even better both versions of CONQUEST (including the origianl edit that was more violent and with an altered ending.) All films have be re-mixed in 5.1 (yet again) and will be available on the Blu discs with lossless audio (if you Blu players allows access to it)
    It's packaged very nicely but they didn't use the real stars - instead they use pics of a fan group "Apemania" for the cover art and discs. That hasn't flown well with some POTA groups. It's like getting a Bette Davis female impersonator for All About Eve.

From my last conversation Fox is still gather stuff so hopefully it will contain more than what has already been announced.
    Scott B.

Comment

• megozilla13
      Persistent Member
      • May 10, 2002

Wow, fascinating story. Being an obsessed mego ape fan, I was especially geeked out reading this. I would enjoy reading any further recollections you have,no matter how insignificant you think they might be. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to pay to have you hypnotized if it would help you remember what the Toy Fair Ape display looked like.

mikej
      WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• txteach
        Banned
        • Jun 17, 2005

You have lived our childhood dream. Welcome and I for one hope you stick around. Our community is very friendly and I for one want to hear any more of your insights. I have some extra megomuseum ape cards and if you would like them, just shoot me your address. Again, Welcome!

Comment

• ditcin
          Museum Patron
          • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by txteach
          You have lived our childhood dream. Welcome and I for one hope you stick around. Our community is very friendly and I for one want to hear any more of your insights. I have some extra megomuseum ape cards and if you would like them, just shoot me your address. Again, Welcome!

Thank you. Very generous, and kind; but not necessary. In my short time visiting here this has got to be the friendliest message board I've even been in contact with. ...and that. is more than enough. I'm glad what I have has brought a smile to faces.

Thanks again,
          Scott B.

Comment

• AAAAA
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 28, 2005

Holy all mighty bomb and the holy fallout!

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by ditcin
              There's a POTA Blu collection due in Nov. The problem is it will have a lot of the bonus stuff previously released. I've spoken with them about trying to get different trailers adding TV spots and radio spots. I've also been in contact wit them about finding the missing scenes from PLANET, the PROLOG from ESCAPE. They've produced new featurettes in Hi-Def but I don't expect them to be much since FOX dragged its feet and most of the production people concerned have since passed away.

On the plus side it will contain both versions of BATTLE. - and even better both versions of CONQUEST (including the origianl edit that was more violent and with an altered ending.) All films have be re-mixed in 5.1 (yet again) and will be available on the Blu discs with lossless audio (if you Blu players allows access to it)
              It's packaged very nicely but they didn't use the real stars - instead they use pics of a fan group "Apemania" for the cover art and discs. That hasn't flown well with some POTA groups. It's like getting a Bette Davis female impersonator for All About Eve.

From my last conversation Fox is still gather stuff so hopefully it will contain more than what has already been announced.
              Scott B.

Thanks for all the info on the new releases. With Fox's bad reputation of releasing barebones Blu-ray discs, it's nice to see that they are at least porting over most of the extras from the previous releases, and the additional cuts of CONQUEST and BATTLE is great news! It's nice to see that they will use lossless audio too (since it's Fox, I'm assuming DTS MA). The packaging pictures sound like a weird choice, but at this point, I'm used to studios using lame coverart for a lot of their releases. I'm still really looking forward to this coming out.

Comment

• ditcin
                Museum Patron
                • Sep 3, 2008

I've been asked if I had anything more to show from the Toy Show... well I did some digging and found the edition of "Trade Show News" given out to those who entered. Below are some pics...
                Enjoy,
                Scott B.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by ditcin
                  Someone asked me if I had an address label from anything I had gotten from Mego...
                  Well, here's a pic of the address label on the box the Ape costume came in.

Scott B.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...dresslabel.jpg
                  Your set is very cool...but I'm floored by this mailing box from Mego...wow...I bet that could fetch some nice change on ebay.

sigpic

Comment

• mego73
                    Printed paperboard Tiger
                    • Aug 1, 2003

I'm glad to see you found your way here. I'm one of the ones who mentioned that people here would love to see his stuff.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

WOW!!!!! I'm totally blown away! Just amazing!

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                        Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                        • Oct 8, 2007

Yeah, those latest pics, are pretty dang cool. I love that in this hobby despite all the combined knowledge and collections of the many Mego enthusiasts we have here, something totally new and fresh can pop up any time and blow us all like that. Outstanding. Really cool.

Any chance you could have a nice scan made of that yellow brick road add??? I would love a nice high resolution copy of it.
                        Last edited by SUP-Ronin; Sep 6, '08, 6:06 PM.
                        "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• JDeRouen
                          Author of Small Things
                          • Jun 14, 2001

Welcome to the Museum! If I were you, I'd never sell the costume or the shipping box. Too many cool memories!
                          --
                          Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• ditcin
                            Museum Patron
                            • Sep 3, 2008

Originally posted by MegoRonin
                            Yeah, those latest pics, are pretty dang cool. I love that in this hobby despite all the combined knowledge and collections of the many Mego enthusiasts we have here, something totally new and fresh can pop up any time and blow us all like that. Outstanding. Really cool.

Any chance you could have a nice scan made of that yellow brick road add??? I would love a nice high resolution copy of it.

I will work on that hi-rez scan for ya, and all those who would want it.
                            - Scott B.

Comment

• miguet
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 11, 2007

Originally posted by MegoRonin
                              There is a similar ad that's in color located in the Wizard of Oz gallery.

Comment

• jessica
                                fortune favors the bold
                                • Nov 5, 2007

Scott, this is one of the BEST stories, EVER! Thank you for sharing that with us.

Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                                Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                                1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                                1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎