Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Kong Anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Kingga View Post
    Nice! That's the exact King Kong I am looking for! I have an entire collection of them - 23 to be exact! We can never have too many of them, right!?!
    23?? Wow, I'd like to see a photo of your collection.

Images
    Blog Entries

Off-topic, but gee-whiz this book cover is giving me serious flashbacks. I recall typing this entire thing out on my Mom's electric typewriter when I was little in one long smugdey run-on sentence.
    This profile is no longer active.

Quote Originally Posted by MegoScott View Post
    http://megomuseum.com/community/imag...ine=1218364997

Off-topic, but gee-whiz this book cover is giving me serious flashbacks. I recall typing this entire thing out on my Mom's electric typewriter when I was little in one long smugdey run-on sentence.

LOL. That's a symptom of accute BAT-MADNESS. Very common in youngsters who grew up in and around the Batmania craze!

Fortunately, for some, it's incurable.
    Last edited by Collect 'em all!; Aug 12, '08 at 6:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    CAPTURED: 1976 King Kong Pen-a-Poster Art Kit by Craft Master
    That 70's Kong Found and brought in by my wife, Pamela. I love ya, honey! Mego Talk - View Single Post - King Kong Anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by cjefferys View Post
    23?? Wow, I'd like to see a photo of your collection.
    Okay, I will post a picture tomorrow. I have to get them all together for the pic!
    Kingga

Quote Originally Posted by Collect 'em all! View Post
    LOL.

So was the artwork on these Kong Posters as awesome as I remember it being? I seem to recall it looking like crisp black and white ink line art of the six John Berkey Kong paintings, like they used on the 7 Eleven Slurppee cups.

Do you remember what the 2 different pen-a-posters looked like well enough to describe it for me, lol? I haven't seen one for over 30 years now, I just remember it was awesome!!!

Thanks!

I honestly do not recall that much. I know the artwork was cool to look at. I believe one of the drawings had him smashing through the bamboo fence on the island (but I do recall it being a collage of pictures. I think perhaps some of these black and white pics were also used for the 1970s kong jigsaw puzzles). I wish I could remember more. There might be a chance that I have a partial photo of one in the background during a family pic. I will have to check
    Last edited by mazinz; Aug 14, '08 at 4:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    I honestly do not recall that much. I know the artwork was cool to look at. I believe one of the drawings had him smashing through the bamboo fence on the island (but I do recall it being a collage of pictures. I think perhaps some of these black and white pics were also used for the 1970s kong jigsaw puzzles). I wish I could remember more. There might be a chance that I have a partial photo of one in the background during a family pic. I will have to check
    Your memory of it is about the same as mine--
    "that the artwork was cool to look at", LOL.

I definately remember it being a collage on one of the posters too, and like you suggest, maybe very similar in layout to the 1976 King Kong GIANT PUZZLE, which was a collage of all six John Berkey paintings.

I'm guessing that most likely the second poster was line art of either the Movie poster with Kong striding the WTC, or, Kong smashing through the Skull Island Wall.

If can you find that family photo with it, that would be amazing to see!
    I'll keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Collect 'em all!; Aug 14, '08 at 5:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    That 70's Kong Found and brought in by my wife, Pamela. I love ya, honey! Mego Talk - View Single Post - King Kong Anyone??

My King Kong 76 Holy Grail--AT LAST!!!

For my 41st birthday, My wonderful wife Pamela presented me with the King Kong 1976 collectible
    that has been eluding me for over 30 years!

The Craft House King Kong Felt Poster Pen Poster set!!!

In the spring of 1977 (a month or two after I saw King Kong and just before Star Wars hit), I was 10 yrs old and my Mom took my younger brother and I to a Pie Eating Contest (seriously) at the Livonia Mall, MI. They were holding the Pie eating contest in the courtyard outside the mall shoppes. While we were waiting for it to begin, my brother and I were window shopping, looking for what we would buy if we won the contest, LOL.

Well, that's when I first saw this King Kong felt pen Poster set. Try as I might, I didn't win the pie eating contest--and I couldn't convince my Mom to buy this King Kong set for me! Instead, she offered to buy me a plain white poster board and said she thought I could draw my own King Kong poster--which I did.(see photo below)

Ever since that day, I have always wanted it. I have been looking for this on eBay since 1998, and have never seen it there. After all this time, I honestly didn't think I was ever going to see one again...

Then, my wife secretly posted on the Kong is King website saying she wanted to find one for me for a birthday present, and by chance, someone who read the thread posted a reply the very next day saying that they had one! Unbelievable!
    After my wife related my 30 year quest to them, they decided that it must have been fate, and the reason they kept it all these years was that it was waiting for me.

The best birthday gift I ever got! What a wife! Thank you, honey, I love you!

Last edited by Collect 'em all!; Sep 20, '08 at 3:42 AM.

Images
    Wow Kirk! That's awesome. Congratulations on finally getting your "holy grail".

That wife of yours is a keeper .

Wow, that is so awesome that your wife did that for you. She's a keeper, that's for sure.

I'm glad you finally got the poster set, Kirk. You must be thrilled.

That poster you drew as a kid looks like a really nice job. Do you still have it? That makes me think about a project I did in high school art class. We had to do a painting, and I copied a Kong painting that Frank Frazetta did. The teacher knew that I just copied an existing painting, but I did a good job so he gave me an "A" anyway.

Images
    Awesome thread, guys! I too love that detail in the Galactica poster. Cool King Kong poster that you drew back in '77, too and very cool gift from your wife. Also, I never knew that there were six promotional paintings for the Kong movie. The only ones I recall seeing were the smashing through the Island Wall and the Trade Center one. What are the others of? I just tried to look online and couldn't find a reference.