Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingga
    • Aug 10, 2008

King Kong Anyone??

Has anyone seen any of these King Kongs lately? If so, please let me know where - I am always on the lookout for them.

(Like the one in my avatar).
    Kingga
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

I like the Mego stuffed Kongs. I'm still looking for the middle sized of the three myself (I think that one is 18-20"?). The small one (around 15") shows up on ebay from time to time (usually without a tag), the two larger ones much less so.

BTW, welcome aboard!

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

here's one I think

VINTAGE 1976 KING KONG STUFFED TOY GORILLA by RKO - eBay (item 110278771918 end time Aug-17-08 15:27:49 PDT)
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Collect 'em all!
        Wannabe Toys R Us Kid
        • Jun 14, 2008

Hey guys,

I still don't have one of those plush Dino Kong's in my King Kong 76 collection yet...

Hey on the subject of Kong collectibles, has ever anyone seen the vintage
        1976 King Kong Pen-a-Poster set for sale? It's my holy grail Kong 76 item, and I just haven't been able to turn one up.

The art set comes with two large 17" x 22" black and white posters for coloring, shrinkwraped over cardboard with some felt tip pens. I think it was made by Fundimensions (Craft Master), like these two Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica I have were. (see photos)

Please let me know if anyone here can help me track one down.

Last edited by Collect 'em all!; Aug 11, '08, 7:42 PM. Reason: added info
        sigpic CAPTURED: 1976 King Kong Pen-a-Poster Art Kit by Craft Master
        That 70's Kong Found and brought in by my wife, Pamela. I love ya, honey! Mego Talk - View Single Post - King Kong Anyone??

Comment

• mazinz
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 2, 2007

WOW are you going to hate me. I went through like 3 of those kong pen/poster sets that I was still able to purchase at this drugstore in Queens NY well into the mid 80's. I loved the set, but after a while my mom kept throwing them out. If I ever come across another I will let you know
          "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

That Galactica poster on the back with Imperious Leader and an Ovion kicks serious butt. I like it!

Comment

• Collect 'em all!
              Wannabe Toys R Us Kid
              • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by mazinz
              WOW are you going to hate me. I went through like 3 of those kong pen/poster sets that I was still able to purchase at this drugstore in Queens NY well into the mid 80's. I loved the set, but after a while my mom kept throwing them out. If I ever come across another I will let you know

LOL.

So was the artwork on these Kong Posters as awesome as I remember it being? I seem to recall it looking like crisp black and white ink line art of the six John Berkey Kong paintings, like they used on the 7 Eleven Slurppee cups.

Do you remember what the 2 different pen-a-posters looked like well enough to describe it for me, lol? I haven't seen one for over 30 years now, I just remember it was awesome!!!

Thanks!
              Last edited by Collect 'em all!; Aug 11, '08, 9:51 PM. Reason: spelling
              That 70's Kong Found and brought in by my wife, Pamela. I love ya, honey! Mego Talk - View Single Post - King Kong Anyone??

Comment

• Collect 'em all!
                Wannabe Toys R Us Kid
                • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                That Galactica poster on the back with Imperious Leader and an Ovion kicks serious butt. I like it!
                Oh, yeah dude!

The fine line pen and ink artwork on the Galactica one, and Chewie is amazing! That's why I'm jones'n for the Kong one so bad!

It's hard to get a clear photo of it without getting flash glare because it's shrinkwrapped. Enjoy!

Last edited by Collect 'em all!; Aug 12, '08, 3:27 PM.

Comment

• Kingga
                  • Aug 10, 2008

Nice! That's the exact King Kong I am looking for! I have an entire collection of them - 23 to be exact! We can never have too many of them, right!?!
                  Kingga

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Collect 'em all!
                    Oh, yeah dude!

The fine line pen and ink artwork on the Galactica one, and Chewie is amazing! That's why I'm jones'n for the Kong one so bad!

It's hard to get a clear photo of it without getting flash glare because it's shrinkwrapped. Enjoy!

Thanks for the closeup, Kirk. I especially like the Imperious Leader. All the linework makes him look so textured, it's gorgeous. Actually, I'm very impressed with the artwork for all of these, including the Jaws 2 one pictured in the other thread. For simple posters meant for kids to colour, they went above and beyond on these. I'd love to see the Kong one myself, it probably looks just as good.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Kingga
                      Nice! That's the exact King Kong I am looking for! I have an entire collection of them - 23 to be exact! We can never have too many of them, right!?!
                      23?? Wow, I'd like to see a photo of your collection.

Comment

• megoscott
                        Founding Partner
                        • Nov 17, 2006

Off-topic, but gee-whiz this book cover is giving me serious flashbacks. I recall typing this entire thing out on my Mom's electric typewriter when I was little in one long smugdey run-on sentence.
                        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Collect 'em all!
                          Wannabe Toys R Us Kid
                          • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by MegoScott
                          http://megomuseum.com/community/imag...ine=1218364997

Off-topic, but gee-whiz this book cover is giving me serious flashbacks. I recall typing this entire thing out on my Mom's electric typewriter when I was little in one long smugdey run-on sentence.

LOL. That's a symptom of accute BAT-MADNESS. Very common in youngsters who grew up in and around the Batmania craze!

Fortunately, for some, it's incurable.
                          Last edited by Collect 'em all!; Aug 12, '08, 6:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Kingga
                            • Aug 10, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                            23?? Wow, I'd like to see a photo of your collection.
                            Okay, I will post a picture tomorrow. I have to get them all together for the pic!
                            Kingga

Comment

• mazinz
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by Collect 'em all!
                              LOL.

So was the artwork on these Kong Posters as awesome as I remember it being? I seem to recall it looking like crisp black and white ink line art of the six John Berkey Kong paintings, like they used on the 7 Eleven Slurppee cups.

Do you remember what the 2 different pen-a-posters looked like well enough to describe it for me, lol? I haven't seen one for over 30 years now, I just remember it was awesome!!!

Thanks!

I honestly do not recall that much. I know the artwork was cool to look at. I believe one of the drawings had him smashing through the bamboo fence on the island (but I do recall it being a collage of pictures. I think perhaps some of these black and white pics were also used for the 1970s kong jigsaw puzzles). I wish I could remember more. There might be a chance that I have a partial photo of one in the background during a family pic. I will have to check
                              Last edited by mazinz; Aug 14, '08, 4:48 PM.
                              "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎