Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP Update: Hall of Justice Detention Cell with trap door. Too many pics.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoscott
    Founding Partner
    • Nov 17, 2006

WIP Update: Hall of Justice Detention Cell with trap door. Too many pics.

My Hall of Justice is really coming along. I thought I'd share a work in progress update. I've shown some of the art changes in a previous post including the awesome Alex Toth big door that will finish off this playset. This post focuses on one of the two side wings. Here's my concept drawing from earlier to show how it works.

And here's the work in progress in real life....

You won't get the full effect until it's all put together, but this is what you see when you drop the big door down. It's the facade of the HOJ on two panels that close together with a recessed magnetic clasp.

Then you fold the two panels sections out and have this nice reverse view of the arched windows and a city skyline. For me it's a real Ohh-Ahh moment. Expand, unfold, surprise...

So what happens in these side rooms? On the right we have the detention cell. On the left we have....well, that's a post for another day. For now, I'm freakin' psyched about this cell! I'm going to show how I made it to give you a sense of some of the customizing techniques I use to get the most out of Dida Displays.

Cutting the cardboard an vinyl is easy enough, but what to do about the loose , unsealed edge? Here I took a scrap piece of wall and cut through the back vinyl and cardboard but left a flap on vinyl on the other side. Then I insert my artwork, fold the flap over and hold it together with a thin piece of U-Channel plastic, just like those old report covers we used in junior high. This gives the edge a nice finished, plastic look and allows me to make custom pieces.

Now my jail cell bars. I painted some wooden Shish-kabob skewers black and used black duct tape to attach them to one of my die-cut cardboard support walls. Looks like crap, right? Mmm-hmm!

I then use some wider black plastic u-channel to cover the edges of the door and rivet the three pieces together.

Tasty!

Next, I take some 1 1/2 inch sealed vinyl tabs, scraps from making other triboxes, and cut one in half. Then I cut the inner cardboard even smaller, reinsert it in the sleeve and punch holes for the turnlock.

I fold the loose edge over on itself and rivet it to the connecting tab of the tribox. Mego of course would have had this piece made with a tool and sealed on all side, but that's too expensive and limits customization. In teh future I'd plan to put some artwork in it so it matches up with the surface it covers.

Next up, my attempt at a trap-door. I cut a section out of the triangle roof piece. I'm trying to limit the number of cut edges, so I cut along the seams of the side tabs and then make two cross cuts leaving extra vinyl to fold over and rivet closed.

For this one I made the hinge for the door out of more scrap from making triboxes. (Tri-boxes are to us like the buffalo to the Indians. We use every part and nothing goes to waste.) This is the underside view.

I really love the idea of a trap door on the jail cell. Dropping the villain into it would be fun and then you could play escape scenarios as well. I'm still working it out how to get the door to drop fast enough so the figure doesn't tip over before falling through the hole. You see here I'm using a string that allows you to pull the door down very fast. That's one thing, but I need a better way to hold the door closed as well. The other problem right now is you can pull the door back up because the figure is in the way. So I'm still experimenting. The goal is to do it in a way that is simple, easily reproduceable, and done with available parts.

But so far so good. I think it looks really fun and very Mego. Nothing against Spidey here. Sorry Spidey!

What's nice too is the side rooms can fold all the way around to make the whole thing easy to display on one shelf.

That's it for now. I'm off to perfect trap doors and get to work on the other side room and it's crazy gimmick.
    This profile is no longer active.
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

I am literally speechless. So I will make up a new word...

Fan-tabuloso!
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

Looks Great Scott.
      I love to see the WIP here ..., neat Stuff .
      So ,... What did Spider-man do to Warrent Jail time ,.. & a Cartoon Cross-Over ?
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Incredible! So inventive, & so Megoesque. I love it!
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
          Stuck in a laundry shoot.
          • Oct 8, 2007

Very cool, Scott. I love the detention center.
          Just a thought, but what about a trap door that works kind of like a popup book, where you pull a tab on the door and it slides open, then push it back to shut it again. The door and tab would be all one piece, and there wouldn't be any hinges to wear out. Does that make sense?? Just an idea.
          Last edited by SUP-Ronin; Aug 2, '08, 7:53 PM.
          "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Excellent work Scott.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Great Scott! (I like the sound of that)....you may have solved one of my problems for me. Kudos.
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Cosmicman
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 12, 2005

Wow. That just totally made my day. You were telling me about this the other day and I didn't quite picture it like this. Wow. It looks way better then I imagined it. Good job!
                More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• Cadmus Customs
                  • Dec 30, 2007

Way cool & reminiscent of the Super Powers HoJ playset with the trap door and holding cell!

Joel

ps- Spidey's right where he belongs!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Really cool. Where were youy when I was a kid???
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by megowgsh
                      I am literally speechless. So I will make up a new word...

Fan-tabuloso!
                      What he said
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• sauce
                        Removed
                        • Jun 24, 2007

amaaaazing!!! I'm gonna need one

Comment

• Customslab

very cool scott

Comment

• Goblin19
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 2, 2002