Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

Well, the car WILL have a detailed engine in the engine bay. However, it will not be an internal combustion engine, and it will not power this free-rolling toy.

The engine will be a turbine jet engine. Here is the final 3D render awaiting 3D printing.

Last edited by darklord1967; Feb 10, '20, 12:51 PM.
    I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• darklord1967
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 27, 2008

February 10th, 2020

The Batmobile's BUCKET SEAT COMPONENTS are now complete. Each seat consists of two components:

1) Backing Cradle Base

2) Spongy Foam Urethane Seat Cushion Insert

The backing cradle base will be sprayed in bright metallic chrome and then clear-coated

The spongy Foam Urethane Seat Cushion Insert was cast in black, so I will not need to paint it. It will be permanently glued to the Backing Cradle Base.

With seats this cushioned- soft, custom Batman and Robin are sure going to patrol the streets of Gotham City in comfort!

No more rigid backrest
      No more sitting on the hard cabin floor!
      Last edited by darklord1967; Nov 24, '20, 7:25 AM.

Comment

• Ivaniski
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 24, 2007

This is gonna be a Masterpiece.

Comment

• dreddbatfan
          Museum Super Collector
          • Oct 3, 2008

I can't wait to see the finished product.This would go great with FTC 1966 Batcave Playset and their figures.Hopefully if these come out as kits that I can afford one.Being disabled and on a fixed income from social security stinks a lot of times.Not being able to afford things that I'd like to have and no money to get them depressess me sometimes.Keep up the great work and I look forward to another update and pictures.

Comment

• Captain
            Fighting the good fight!
            • Jun 17, 2001

Neat to see your progress
            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• NastyNoah
              • Nov 20, 2019

We need a new update.

Comment

• melstapler
                Museum Super Collector
                • Aug 2, 2014

This looks amazing! I would buy 2 of these in a heartbeat.

Comment

• pennywise
                  • Jul 11, 2020

Cool...I remember having that same Batmobile in New Jersey when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• megozilla13
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 10, 2002

Sorry if this has been asked before but...... are you making extras to sell or just one?

mikej
                    WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• darklord1967
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by megozilla13
                      Sorry if this has been asked before but...... are you making extras to sell or just one?

mikej
                      No need to apologize buddy! At the moment this is only a one-off.

HOWEVER

I’ve rendered the parts comprising the entire car as digital files, so I am able to 3D print them at any time in the future to create this as a kit done in very limited numbers possibly 2-5 kits. But even as a kit, this car will NOT be cheap, I’m afraid.
                      Last edited by darklord1967; Nov 24, '20, 8:34 AM.

Comment

• darklord1967
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
                        So are these figures going to sit the toy-styled "legs straight out" way, or are you planning for them to sit the way real people sit in cars? From that image, I am guessing the latter?
                        Typically, in the world of toy cars designed for action figures, the interior cabin is designed with seats that are flattened against the floor pan. The figures end up literally sitting on the floor of the cockpit interior (with their feet extended straight out as you pointed out). The 1974 MEGO Batmobile, Green Arrow Car, Spider Car, and Captain Americar, are all examples of this.

There are a number of reasons for this design tendency in toy cars, not the least of which is...

A) The rigidity of the plastic seats of a toy car combined with...

B) The rigidity of the plastic of the action figure's body.

You see, in a real life situation, automobile seats are plush and cushiony. They compress anywhere from 4 to 7 inches when sat upon... depending on the density and weight of the person that is seated.

In addition, A person seated in an automobile naturally folds and compresses their torso when settled into their seat. This reduces their vertical height measurement by nearly a third. Action figures made of rigid plastic are incapable of folding and compressing their torsos in this fashion.

Of course the all-important THIRD factor of toy cars typically being manufactured far below the appropriate size scale for the intended figures just compounds this problem.

Without addressing at least one of these three issues, toymakers would find themselves in a position where their action figures would look completely out of place within their own vehicles... sticking up too tall in open convertibles, etc.

Truth be told (if you ask me) most action figures already DO tend to look out of place seated in their own under-sized vehicles, despite these little "cheats" by toymakers. . Barbie and Ken dolls (for example) ALWAYS looked far too big in their own vehicles... and so did MEGO figures.

The 9Art Batmobile and Batman and Robin action figures each feature design elements that will address the "seated in a vehicle" situation in a way that seeks to avoid the "straight out extended leg / sitting on the cockpit floor pan" scenario.

The seats of the Batmobile will NOT be flattened against the floor pan of the car's interior. They will have the standard (scale) height of a vehicle's bucket seat. In addition, they will be made from soft plush cushion foam material known as Rapid Injection Molding material. This is the exact same stuff as the black , foamy, weather seal material found around the edges of a real car's doors. So the seats on this toy will NOT be hard rigid plastic as it is on other toy cars. They will actually compress a bit with the weight of a figure placed upon it.

As for the figures themselves, their bodies have been designed with articulation points in their torsos and / or waists that (at the very least) will allow for folding / compression of their mid-section for natural-looking seating. Ball jointed necks that allow the figures to tilt their heads forward will avoid the typical appearance of action figures seated in toy cars, while facing the sky.

Last edited by darklord1967; Nov 24, '20, 7:42 AM.

Comment

• boss
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 18, 2003

The man thinks of everything.
                          Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

Your work on this is incredible... That said, we're 12 years in. At this point you probably could have just built a real Batmobile lol.

Comment

• darklord1967
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                              Your work on this is incredible... That said, we're 12 years in. At this point you probably could have just built a real Batmobile lol.

So very true. But inadequate 3D print technology, plus one economic recession in 2007, followed by serious illness that forced me to stop customizing for 5 years, plus a global pandemic resulting in more economic difficulties... all put a serious cramp in speedy progress on this! 🤣😂

Comment

• sprytel
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by darklord1967
                                So very true. But inadequate 3D print technology, plus one economic recession in 2007, followed by serious illness that forced me to stop customizing for 5 years, plus a global pandemic resulting in more economic difficulties... all put a serious cramp in speedy progress on this! ����
                                You can't rush genius. The journey is every bit as important as the destination.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎