Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brineb
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 26, 2006

For me it is Adam West ... that was my first real introduction to him and I look back at it lovingly. I really didn't care for Keaton or Clooney, I must be the only one who liked Kilmer!!! Now if Bale keeps it up, he'll keep me interested.
    I also play with other dolls:
    http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• The Sentry
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 3, 2007

I can agree with alot posted, but in my definition, Gorshin is why I love the Riddler today, Clooney had a chance to have the title but the God-awful movie they dropped on his hands was so bad not even Pacino couldn't save it. I loved Bale's performance as the Dark Knight, but Keaton's Batman will always be the best as far as I'm concerned cause he acted like Bruce Wayne when he had the mask off and like Batman when he had the mask on, something alot of the other actors didn't do well. Only Adam West had that down to a science before Keaton, and last but not least Keaton's favorite hero since childhood was Batman so I would roll with the man that knew the part in and out.
      sigpic
      http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
      [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Adam West is a pop culture icon and will never be forgotten but I honestly read Batman comics thinking it's Conroy's voice.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          Well someone had to start it....

But seriously, for me Adam West IS Batman. Say what you will about the camp aspect of the show and how it ruined comic books from being taken seriously for a while....but it's also been said that the show saved the Batman comic book from cancellation. True, Julius Schwartz' "New Look" preceeded the TV show by a couple of years and got Bats away from the "sci-fi monster of the month" approach the book had for the early part of the Silver Age...but the TV show finally put Gotham City on the map as far as the average Joe was concerned.

Nowhere else, live action wise, have we ever seen anything like the TV show when it came to Batman's world...from the villains (Helloooooooo Julie Newmar, the best damn Catwoman ever...to Frank Gorshin's maniacal portrayal of The Riddler), the Batcave, the freakin' awesome Batmobile (everyone's favorite TV dream car).

No offense to the 4 actors during the Burton era (Keaton was the best....whodathunkit?) or the new guy Christian Bale (I loved Batman Begins but too early to call on his legacy to the franchise) but Adam is da man!
          Amen to that, brother

Originally posted by JDeRouen
          Adam West was never Batman to me. I'll take my Batman serious, thank you very much!
          You're an idiot

Keaton did a great job, Kilmer and especially Clooney were a joke, but I like what Bale is doing. If the second (and third?) is as good as the first he could get close to West, but he'll never take his throne
          Last edited by Meule; Jun 11, '07, 6:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Meule
            Amen to that, brother
            Thomas,
            Let's form the First Church of Adam West is the Best Damn Batman Ever!
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
              Thomas,
              Let's form the First Church of Adam West is the Best Damn Batman Ever!
              Wiser words have never been spoken, brother Anthony.

For all you sinners out there: sing the Batman theme 3 times while dancing the Batusi. Then prey to the statues of Saint Batgirl and Saint Catwoman

Holy religion, Batman.
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Hallelujiah! Light up that Bat-Signal in the sky!
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

Let's just drop the Batman part and call it "Adam West is the Best Ever."

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

I like the animated Batman (Conroy) a lot because MAN have I been following
                    him for a LONG time and I happened to have loved his portrayal every long
                    step of the way

Adam West has made a huge impact on me as well. Wow. He WAS Batman for
                    me for many years....and continues to be in many respects

I can't decide who is most responsible for me liking Keaton as Batman too...
                    is it Keaton himself? Is it Devito, Nicholson & Pfieffer's performances as
                    villains that enhance why I like Keaton, so much, or is it Burton's overall
                    vibe on the Keaton films?

As much as I squeaked thru giving Batman Begins a passing grade as a good
                    movie (or should I say "fun" movie)----
                    I'm stoked with Christian Bale as Batman and can't wait to see him as
                    Bruce Wayne, the guy that IS Batman in Dark Knight,
                    rather than Bruce Wayne, the guy that is BECOMING Batman as he was in Begins

If I had to rally behind any Batman it would be Bale because I really wanna see this version of Batman thrive without reboots, so it can really explore this
                    particular version of Batman/Gotham now that it's been started so meticulously
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                      Stays Crunchy in Milk
                      • Aug 2, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Adam West is a pop culture icon and will never be forgotten but I honestly read Batman comics thinking it's Conroy's voice.
                      Ditto...
                      Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• boywondermax
                        Gothamite
                        • May 16, 2007

Ah, yes- Batman.

When I was a kid (I'm 39, by the way), Batman was my absolute favorite show. I never missed an episode. When it was on, I would tie a towel or blanket around my neck. When the fight scenes would start I used to get so excited I would jump around acting out the scene. Of coures I didn't know it was a comedy. I thought it was deadly serious. Adam West as Batman had a huge influence on my childhood psyche. If Batman/ Bruce Wayne did it, I wanted to do it, too. When Batman said something was wrong or right, I took it to heart. He was my hero.

My parents knew I was obsessed, and would indulge me on my birthday with a Batman cake and Batman toys. I went as Batman on Halloween three years in a row, until the costume just wore out from wear. I didn't just love Batman, though- in my six year old mind, I wanted to BE Batman. I remember very distinctly my mother giving me and my sister the wishbone from the remains of our dinner. When I pulled and got the larger half, I thought to myself, "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE- make me Batman, make me Batman."

A few years later there was an auto show in town with the Batmobile and Adam West and Burt Ward were signing autographs. My Dad and my uncle took me and my sisters and after an hour or so of waiting in line (a huge wait for an eight year old), there I was ACTUALLY STANDING IN FRONT OF BATMAN AND ROBIN. They were in full Bat-costume from the show, including utility belts. There were so many questions I wanted to ask. How fast does the Batmobile go? How heavy are the utilty belts? Exactly where IS Wayne Manor? But of course I could only whisper my name and the names of my sisters as Adam West and Burt Ward patiently signed autographed photos for the throng of kids.

It wasn't until many years later when I realized what a wonderful job Adam West did, playing it straight (which appeals to the kids), yet making it so very funny (for the adults). So of course I do love Adam West.

{However, I also really appreciate the attempt to make a "serious" Batman film. I would hope that they approve a script that hightlights Batmn's total obseession to avenge his parenets deaths and "make the bad man go away." Batman does NOT need a love interest- it cheapens the character. The story should highlight his relationship w/ Jim Gordon, or even Robin or Alfred. It seems that in every other movie he reveals his idenity to some woman, a character that hardly seems Essential to the story}

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

I love Adam West. I think Christian Bale has a ton of potential. And, vocally, Conroy is Batman to me. I do think of his voice for Batman when I read anything Batman says.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

The batman show was set to be light and somewhat campy but it was wests "acting" that made this show CAMPY. For that I despise him.

Christian Bale is perfect for the role. Hopefully they give him more to work with (and a better cowl) in Dark Knight

Keaton was fine
                            kilmer was OK
                            Clooney was given a turd to eat and really can't be judged because of it
                            Both serial actors were passable

Clark Bartam has limited exposure but is great.

batmen page-

Comment

• Cosmicman
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 12, 2005

Agreed!!!!

Originally posted by Brue
                              The batman show was set to be light and somewhat campy but it was wests "acting" that made this show CAMPY. For that I despise him.

Christian Bale is perfect for the role. Hopefully they give him more to work with (and a better cowl) in Dark Knight

Keaton was fine
                              kilmer was OK
                              Clooney was given a turd to eat and really can't be judged because of it
                              Both serial actors were passable

Clark Bartam has limited exposure but is great.

batmen page-

http://bruehoyt.com/superheroes/DC/b...uce/bruce.html
                              AGREED! This sums it up for me also. Good post!!!
                              More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

In his defense, Adam West ACTED exactly as he was directed too. So straight laced and "square" that it was humorous. The producers of the show had every intention of Batman being a fun spoof for adults, and a straight action show for kids. They rode that thin line well in season 1. After that, esp. in season 3, they went too far into what is called "camp". Actually, it's not even camp. It's satire. Camp is something that is meant to be taken seriously that is so unintentionally bad, it's funny. Batman was intentionally funny.

You can argue all day long that the show shouldn't have been done that way. But they DID succeed in the objective for the show.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎