• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Adam West Is the Only Batman

Well someone had to start it....

But seriously, for me Adam West IS Batman. Say what you will about the camp aspect of the show and how it ruined comic books from being taken seriously for a while....but it's also been said that the show saved the Batman comic book from cancellation. True, Julius Schwartz' "New Look" preceeded the TV show by a couple of years and got Bats away from the "sci-fi monster of the month" approach the book had for the early part of the Silver Age...but the TV show finally put Gotham City on the map as far as the average Joe was concerned.

Nowhere else, live action wise, have we ever seen anything like the TV show when it came to Batman's world...from the villains (Helloooooooo Julie Newmar, the best damn Catwoman ever...to Frank Gorshin's maniacal portrayal of The Riddler), the Batcave, the freakin' awesome Batmobile (everyone's favorite TV dream car).

No offense to the 4 actors during the Burton era (Keaton was the best....whodathunkit?) or the new guy Christian Bale (I loved Batman Begins but too early to call on his legacy to the franchise) but Adam is da man!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

It depends for me,they all have a little something that the others don't.Like for example,the best looking one was George Clooney(Batman needs to be good looking),best body Christian Bale(Batman should be pretty buffed) and the one who looks the best with the costume on was Michael Keaton
    that's my take on it,but I could see why you would think Adam was the best
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah,got to agree. The movies ran through too many actors to like them. You start to like one in the movies,then they switch when the next movie came out. If Bale makes it to a third movie,he might make it. Besides,Adam has appeared in the animated versions of Batman(The Animated Series and The Batman),he has that working for him.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

I agree, The '60s series is the definitive Batman to me!
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• JDeRouen
          Author of Small Things
          • Jun 14, 2001

Adam West was never Batman to me. I'll take my Batman serious, thank you very much!
          --
          Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

I would just have a hard time picturing Adam looking good in one the new suits
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Adam West to me is the classic Caped Crusader Batman. When I read a Batman story from say 1941-1970, I hear Adam West's voice and think of him. Bale is the first actor to really capture the Dark Knight Batman in live action. The Batman of the 30s, and the modern era. Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney are distant, forgotten memories really. None of those movies really hold up at all now. Just the soundtrack to the first Burton movie. That's it.

But really, any comic with the creature of the night Batman? I hear Kevin Conroy's voice. Kevin Conroy is REALLY the best Batman ever.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Hulk
                Mayor of Megoville
                • May 10, 2003

Adam West still holds the title for me, although Keaton had a shot at it aat one time. If he had stuck with it, even through the bad movies, Keaton might have dethroned West in my mind.

Christian Bale will have to do at least 3 movies to even be eligible, although he is well on his way to the title given his last performance.

The problem with Batman is there is such a clear delineation between his portrayals in the comics, opposed to Superman, that a Camp Crusader and Dark Knight can both represent the character with equal credibility.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Yeah, Adam and Burt ARE the Dynamic Duo for me. The two movie serial Batmen running a close second.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Wow tough call I love the TV series but I really love the Batman movies.Adam Holds up because it was just plain fun and even on the lighter side you can see how well of a character Batman is.Plus all those great villans portrayed by all those great actors.

As for the Movies Keaton was great wish he would have stuck it out.I hate Val Kilmer he's a big BLEEP!......I like George Clooney too bad they gave him a dog of a movie.

Christian Bale hopefully will continue to be Great as the Darker more to the comics Batman.

and since I met him and he was really cool Yes I can say it too Adam West is the Best Batman

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                      Stays Crunchy in Milk
                      • Aug 2, 2004

Adam West was the only Batman for me... when I was 5. I grew up and wanted someone that resembled Neal Adams' version in spirit as well as appearance.

I still have fond memories of the TV show, but i don't want my Batman to be silly outside of it.

... The Barris Batmobile... now that's definitive Batmobile.
                      Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• joshvox
                        Clown Prince of Crime
                        • Mar 21, 2006

The 60's series was a nice series for what it was, but I'll steal a line from Joe and say I like my batman serious. I can't speak to the effect it had on the comics (bit too young for that), but the effect it has on alot of people's perception of the character is just too bad. Right now, and hopefully for quite awhile in the future Bale IS Batman to me. A couple more really good/great movies will cement that for me.
                        Last edited by joshvox; Jun 10, '07, 9:51 PM.

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                          Career Member
                          • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          But really, any comic with the creature of the night Batman? I hear Kevin Conroy's voice. Kevin Conroy is REALLY the best Batman ever.

Chris
                          I totally agree and Conroy's also played the Batman longer than anyone else- 14 years!
                          While I have much fondness for the Adam West Batman show (Gorshin is the Riddler), my favorite Dark Knight can't have done the the Bat-tusi.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

I think Christian Bale in Batman Begins will end up better embedded in the pop cultural landscape given the focus on Bruce Wayne in his movie. Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney were pretty much lost in the costume for most of their respective movies.

Although I think for a generation of kids growing up in the past decade and a half, the Kevin Conroy voiced animated Batman will be their "definitive" Batman.

Even stranger, I'm sure there will be a few kids out there who view Batman Beyond as their definitive Batman in that 3 year period of that show's production.
                            Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 10, '07, 10:33 PM.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

That is true. I mean look at how many people already veiw Mark Hamill as the definitive Joker.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎