X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RG
    Removed.
    • Oct 1, 2004

who else is a vintage Star Wars collector

Back in Feb. 1991 I was in the 8th grade and just wanted to get a couple figures to have on display. Soon I was after them all. Little did I know at the time that it would lead me into a much larger toy collecting world Since it was my first line to collect as a "real" toy collector they still hold that #1 spot to me.

For the past year collecting Megos has brought back a fun feeling I had with Star Wars when I started them. I had to hunt at flea markets for Star Wars in the years before ebay, and now with Mego I have to hunt for parts on ebay ... I guess that's about as close one can get to that feeling of the hunt

I was just wondering who else collects Star Wars and Mego, I see a few names from rebelscum and other SW boards here and there

-Russ
  • grayhank
    That Fisher Price Guy
    • Feb 9, 2007

I've got the entire run of Vintage Star Wars figures plus all of the modern era. So I guess I fit into that category!
    Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I have almost the whole set,just missing the Yakface and now the ev-9d9,I had bought the 9d9 like 2 months ago on ebay and the seller jipped me and never sent him out,so I'm back to missing two.I had all the modern stuff but had to sell most of it due to space shortage,I did keep most of my episode 1 figures(I love those,don't ask me why) ,but Star Wars is a collection I will always love and try to collect ,no matter how many times I sell them I always go back
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• VintageMike
        Permanent Member
        • Dec 16, 2004

I am, but I'm close to finished using the space I allotted for it. But, just like Mego I knew I had limitations to deal with when I started.
        There will be a couple of upgrades and I still want the somwhat elusive (to me anyway) 12 back header. Everytime it's shown up I haven't been able to bid high enough and when I have had the money none are available. This is my "Star Wars" shelf currently. I have most of my childhood loose stuff but I just keep the packaged items on display. I'm sure I'm not the only one for whom Mego & vintage SW go hand in hand. Being a nostalgia oriented collector I find this community to be far more enjoybale so, I've made my home here.

Comment

• Megospidey
          Museum Webslinger
          • Jul 26, 2006

I collect loose figs/vehicles from the original 1977 run - that's the series I played with. Had already grown out them by the time ESB and ROTJ came out, even though I saw them both.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Use to until some dork stole my collection. I still collect the current stuff though.

Comment

• RG
              Removed.
              • Oct 1, 2004

Originally posted by toys2cool
              I have almost the whole set,just missing the Yakface and now the ev-9d9,I had bought the 9d9 like 2 months ago on ebay and the seller jipped me and never sent him out,so I'm back to missing two.I had all the modern stuff but had to sell most of it due to space shortage,I did keep most of my episode 1 figures(I love those,don't ask me why) ,but Star Wars is a collection I will always love and try to collect ,no matter how many times I sell them I always go back
              Ev 9D9 is a pain of a figure too with those thin limbs. I bought her carded and my cousin's 5 year old removed her from the card, so I ended up with a super mint loose one ... one way to get one with good arms. EP I figures were nice but I had a hard time getting into the line, Now with EP III figures I got sucked into that line big time, I kept them all MOC and just need a couple more, but darn ... getting them is what caused my hobby room to fill up and become a mess

Originally posted by VintageMike
              I am, but I'm close to finished using the space I allotted for it. But, just like Mego I knew I had limitations to deal with when I started.
              There will be a couple of upgrades and I still want the somwhat elusive (to me anyway) 12 back header. Everytime it's shown up I haven't been able to bid high enough and when I have had the money none are available. This is my "Star Wars" shelf currently. I have most of my childhood loose stuff but I just keep the packaged items on display. I'm sure I'm not the only one for whom Mego & vintage SW go hand in hand. Being a nostalgia oriented collector I find this community to be far more enjoybale so, I've made my home here.

nice set up you have, I really like your Bespin Luke I know what you mean about this place, I have almost 1000 posts over at rebelscum but I find that 95% of my message board time is spent here at the museum now. People here are awesome and a collection could be small or big but everyone is treated like an equal

Comment

• VintageMike
                Permanent Member
                • Dec 16, 2004

Thanks,
                Bespin Luke is one of my favorites and was happy to secure a nice one. Here's a closer shot I'll probably upload the individual rows into my main gallery at some point.

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by VintageMike
                  Thanks,
                  Bespin Luke is one of my favorites and was happy to secure a nice one. Here's a closer shot I'll probably upload the individual rows into my main gallery at some point.

Great set man,I always wanted that Carded Han
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• smonte00
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 19, 2005

I used to collect the older new stuff POTF97, etc. I kind of stopped after the Episode I saturation, though. Now, I'll pick one up if it looks cool enough, like the Original Trilogy Collection and Saga series. Those are nice looking figures with a bunch of articulation. The last one I picked up was the Sandtrooper. It has a ball joint at the torso and everything-really posable. The OTC Chewbacca is awesome too. The most accurate Chewbacca I've seen. I only have a handful of vintage firgures, and most are not in good condition. I just can't justify spending the money.

Comment

• The Sentry
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 3, 2007

I used to work at a vintage toy shop where the boss was a chicken hawk, and I finshed my vintage collection there still missin Yak-Face and Han in carbonite and some select mini rigs. But ships, playsets and figures I have a plenty of!

I have a great big chunk of everything that came out from 95-05. I'm gunna be selling that cause honestly, I just don't have the damned room for it all! However, I am still gunna keep everything from 78-85 that's a little easier on space and it holds a warm place in my heart from childhood.
                      sigpic
                      http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                      [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Dave Mc
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 20, 2002

Count me in as a vintage SW collector, to a degree. I have the vintage small figures, and most of the 12", plus a few ships. I'm not really active with it anymore though, pretty much have what I want.

Comment

• highquality
                          #1 Super Guy
                          • Jun 10, 2003

You need 15" IG-88, Dave.

I collected Star Wars for many years before I became a Mego collector. Some of the highlights of my collection were: Tri-Logo Yak Face, MIB Cloud City Playset, loose A-Wing Fighter, and my collection of big loose vehicles like At-At and Imperial Shuttle.

I ended up trading my entire Star Wars collection to a toy store in Jacksonville for all of their Megos.
                          Last edited by highquality; Jun 12, '07, 7:04 AM.
                          WorldMEGO: Where MEGOs Go! 24 Hours a Day

Comment

• English Paul
                            Archive cased.
                            • Aug 17, 2005

Count me in as an ex collector. Like Dave Mc, my SW collecting days are pretty much over as I concentrate more on Mego. My collection of vintage SW is still very dear to me and one of which I am extremely proud of.
                            Initially it started out as just wanting the 1st 12, then a few more primary characters moved in, then I bought a PC and along with it discovered Ebay. I had always thought the last 17 would be out of my reach looking at dealer prices, but Ebay soon changed that. Most of the last 17 could be found on Ebay at half the price that the dealers wanted at fairs, and I was also very surprised just how plentiful they were. Once I had the full set I picked up a few common variants just to keep my collection fresh.

Another item I had always wanted was a carded figure. I commited myself the one on each card back (ANH, ESB, ROTJ) and knew that 12 back had to be a Stormtrooper (I just love the visual impact of that card). The ESB card had to be a Tie Fighter Pilot as it was one of my favourite figures (it`s the black ). Finally to keep the imperial theme I found a nice AtAt driver.

Two other lines I dabble in have been the Diecast which I have stuck with the 1st series as the 2nd series includes the Tie Bomber which at the moment is out of reach. I think in time i`ll go for it, again, as Ebay has surprised me how much cheaper they can be found for. The other line is the vintage Waddingtons jigsaws from ANH - there are only 4 in the set and can be found very easily (in the UK) but they look great and have the true vintage look to the packaging.

I would love the 12in range and may consider it in future but for now i`ll stick with what I have.

I started on the POTF2 range in 1995 too, but as they kept coming out at ridiculous speed I stopped when Kenner introduced the freeze frame cards. I have since sold some of them on and will split the rest in time - what doesn`t sell will go to my kids, but they really have enough SW as it is.
                            "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

After Episode 1 came out I got TONS of the little guys! Vintage AND new. They were pretty cheap! I tried to get the best representation of each character; wether it was vintage, new or whatever. I even made some customs. (Like RU-12 and CLO-1e)

Then I got into custom 8" figs, and now my plan is to one day have them all in 8" scale. (Gotta find somewhere to put the Death Star though.)

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎