Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the best thing you picked up at megomeet 2008?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

What was the best thing you picked up at megomeet 2008?

i wasnt able to attend but am curious to know from the fortunate ones that were there as to what was the coolest thing you picked up at the meet. please share!!!
  • megojim
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 13, 2001

EASY!!! a bunch of new friends! . . . . . more to follow
    -jim
    My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• misterdroid
      Banned
      • Jan 10, 2008

I bought way, way too much stuff. My favorite though is Dida "Stately Wayne Caverns" playset. Man, it's AWESOME.
      Runners up would be:
      Tomland Yeti
      Excel Wild Bill (been looking for a cheap one for a while)
      Plastimarx jane/johnny apollo w/ silver accessories (my plasti's have blue, originals have gold... been looking for these for a minute also. I love Marx color variations!)

Comment

• ddgaff1132
        Persistent Member
        • Oct 3, 2007

I completed my Ironman (ala boots gloves belt button)
        Got a Human torch out of parts bought. Thanks Traveling Hulk. The grab bag was a great idea and I'm sure all got something special.
        AJ stuff to spare.
        STuff to put together a kitbash Fantastic 4.
        I got to meet Dr. Mego. A great man even if he doesnt believe it himself.
        met other great fans of Mego....
        Palitoy. who sold me a catwoman months ago and added alot of goodies to the purchase.
        again thanks Palitoy.(Im probably getting his SN wrong)
        Dave MC looks just like the guy from CSI. I wanted to get pic and tell people He was.
        Alot of stuff was bought to keep me customizing/kitbashing for a good while.
        Cannot wait til next year!!!!
        Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
        MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Got lots of goodies
          Great DVDs from Joe
          Lincoln and AHI Monsters at a great price from Roberto plus he gave me some adventure people stuff for my kids that they ate up
          Monster figures from Merlyn
          and this too cool item from Art:

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• starsky
            veteran member
            • Aug 26, 2007

you guys are making me cry!!

Comment

• JDeRouen
              Author of Small Things
              • Jun 14, 2001

My favorite thing from MM wasn't a purchase and it was totally unexpected; it was a Dida carrying case, courtesy of Scott! I will take a photo later, but it's three-sided and features his wonderful Mr. Myxie card!

My favorite purchase is a tie between Ed Nagy's wonderful Kraven figure, Derek Comb's Silver Surfer (which I won at the custom auction,) and the sketches of my family and I from Art Balthazar! (The sketches were fall less expensive, but just as impressive!)

I picked up some other great customs as well - Mighty Mightor (of course!,) and a Marvel Girl and Silver Surfer (yes, I have two now!) from Brian Leitner.

I regret not getting Jim's Sheriff of Nottingham! By the time I got around to it, they were sold out, and I failed to win the one in the auction!
              --
              Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Dave Mc
                Administrator
                • Oct 20, 2002

I did much better than expected. Berto took home most of my cash, but I can't complain one bit, he made me great deals on a couple items that had eluded me for a long time.

The main things I scored were burgandy cuffed and black cuffed Ape generals. Two long time wants. Also picked up a boxed Buffalo Bill and fresh Burke from Berto, my old Burke suffered some sun damage.

Picked up the exclusive figure. Props to Chris for once again bulldogging this through. This is all him, and while he get's help here and there, it's his baby and he always manages to come through with something that sells out.

Bought one of Jim Hampton's Sheriff figures, a cool Mystique custom from Ed Nagy, bought a few parts.

Also brought home a big bag of BK Star Wars toys, donated to my son by Tom Ligotti. Thanks Tom, my son was thrilled.

All in all, a great year for buying for me. My goal is to come away with just enough cash to pay the turnpike fees home, and that's what I did.

Comment

• AcroRay
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 17, 2005

I wish I could have gotten one of the Sheriff of Noddingham figures, but I did buy the Vampire Hunter D 12" figure I wanted from the raffle from his actual winner. Brian Heiler gave me a recast Popy Ultraman (original) head for my long planned Ultraman custom. Those were the coolest.

My wife won the autographed WGSH book by Ben, which she gave to me! I even found my name in the acknowledgements, which is quite an honor indeed.
                  Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
                  AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
                  The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
                  Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• Flynne
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jan 22, 2003

* New Friends
                    * A caricature sketch from Art, which is already framed and on the wall at home, and a copy of Tiny Titans #1
                    * A Mightor Exclusive
                    * Info from the EMCE Panel - a big "thank you!" to Paul Clarke for making these new Mego figures a reality. I cannot put into words the joy that surged through the barely contained eight year old in me when I held a production sample of the Khan figure in my hands. Great things truly are coming.
                    * A DQ Hot Fudge Sundae which I had the oddest craving for late Saturday evening
                    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• The Sentry
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 3, 2007

My EMCE Star Trek figs I needed.
                      Tons of heads for future customs.
                      A buncha CTVT bodies and scary-glow hands for future zombies that are coming soon.
                      Boots.
                      A Shogun Warrior that is in better condition than the one I had.
                      A beautiful Sigma 6 Spirit (He's my favorite G.I. Joe character and I got him cheap! Thanks Type 3!)
                      A totally brand new Reproed Iron Man (Tony Stark wouldn't get a vintage peice, he would want the upgraded version!)
                      A very nice Thor I totally rebulit.
                      A un-zombied Conan head for my beloved Conan
                      A nice reproed Riddler costume (only but the best for my favorite Batman villian)
                      Mighty Mightor (2 for 2 in the exclusive figure department!)
                      A complete Incredible Hulk cartoon series set (Which I am watching right now!)
                      Here are the things that brought tears to my eyes.

Thanks to Palitoy I now have an original 12" Hulk box for my very loved Hulk. (He looks "Incredible") Thanks again so much.

The grand finale is actually NOT anything 12" or 8". It's actually from the microverse.
                      I got ALL of my childhood Micronauts are all back in full strength! My Acroyear is beautiful. Baron Karza is rather scary looking too! Microtron is looking very very choice. I mean I could go on and on. So I won't! Thanks again AcroRay!

Now what I took home with me along with the great buncha swag was fond memories of my precious customs of Bill and Lou in the case, Trappy's wonderfull customs standing proudly on a Star Trek bridge that still has me salavating, and a group of people who made me feel like I was welcome and wanted. Trappy and I both are still so happy we're still high off the rush!

I can't thank you all individually, that would take up too much space. So I will thank you all at once who attended and actually talked with Trappy and I.

Our love and respect goes out to all of you!

Trappy and I can't wait till next year!
                      Last edited by The Sentry; Jun 9, '08, 1:53 AM.
                      sigpic
                      http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                      [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Hulk
                        Mayor of Megoville
                        • May 10, 2003

Time with friends and making new ones is always at the top of the MegoMeet list and this year was certainly no exception.

A sketch of myself from the uber-talented and extremely amusing Art Baltazar may be the best surprise pickup for me. Awww Yeah Man! Thank You Sir!

Customs again played the biggest focus for my purchases, with an emphasis on Superfriends, with Apache Chief and Samurai ala Ron Peritore joining a great Tothlike Batman from Brian Leitner.

I also luckily scored Heath's Zorro with the DaveMC outfit, A cool Namor from Paul Riggs, the great Mummy from Anthony Wedesky (a steal in anyone's book), and of course the exclusive ChrisDVM Mighty Mightor and MegoJim Sheriff of Notthingham.

I also was honored with a 3 sided Hulk Museum Card carrying case that Scott made for me and I will cherish for his generosity forever. He also retrofitted my recently acquired Bridge display with the Transporter Room add on. I can't wait to put it all together.

Lots of other good trades and purchases that were much appreciated. More than I can even remember or mention.

Now I just wish I could have left the hangover at the MegoSuite. Uggh.

Comment

• Chris DVM
                          Veterinarian Member
                          • Jun 18, 2001

Hey,
                          I also got a bunch of stuff, but by far two things stick out for me:
                          1) Thanks to a upgrading deal he made, Dave Mc sold me with an original Zorro hat! 5 years of looking is now officially over - I have an original complete Zorro finally!!!!!
                          2) Scott's Dida Display with the Mego Cards background. When it comes in, Zorro has a new home.
                          Chris DVM
                          "The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

• ScottA
                            Original Member
                            • Jun 25, 2001

Minty mint Robin from Derek
                            Flat 12" Batman box from Brian
                            Mightor from Chris
                            Sheriff of Nottingham from Jim
                            Comic Action Captain America w/shield from Joe
                            custom suits from BL
                            custom heads from Austin
                            MM cards
                            MM keychain
                            Last edited by ScottA; Jun 10, '08, 8:45 AM.
                            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

The best thing I picked up was the sense of camaraderie. Seeing old Mego friends for the first time, and seeing some for the 2nd time (since this was my 2nd meet) really made the weekend special and worthwhile. I especially enjoyed getting to meet the Cast-A-Way duo in the flesh. Two greater guys you won't find. I only wish I'd talked to more people. I'm a bit backward in large groups, and I'm now realizing through these posts that some of my favorite "Mego buddies" were there, I just didn't match up their real names to their online avatar names!

As for material items, Berto came through for me right out of the gate with a nice Magnetic Batman to replace my old beater. What a guy! I also got some other great stuff and won two great raffele lots including a really sweet Marvel Universe book by Stan Lee and Roy Thomas and a smorgashbord of assorted animation cells and drawings, including a Filmation Aqualad drawing! Leaping Lionfish!!!

The worst thing I got was something I brought on to myself; The Star Wars Holiday Special I picked up from an obvious source. You know who you are. I can't believe I willingly brought this piece of celluloid feces into my household. What was I thinking? Andrew did like the wookie family, but he was dumbfounded by the vaudvillian schtick and and variety show antics. No wonder Lucas wants to mindwipe this out of existence!

Chris

Chris
                              Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Jun 9, '08, 3:21 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎