X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Just scored my Ultimate Holy Grail: Popy Black Raideen

I'm still in shock. This is a piece that I thought I would never own because of how scarce it is and the price it demands. As a 4th grader, Raideen was my introduction to Japanese Anime. Popy Raideen was the first DX (Deluxe) in their Chogokin line, as he transformed into God Bird Mode. Their first version (on the left) featured white legs, true to the anime, and a shield that had the same color scheme as their Jumbo Raideen. It was a short run before they went to the standard unpainted legs and the colors were reversed on the shield.

Then for some strange reason, Popy released limited edition Black Raideen, featuring a matte finish with metallic gold sticker highlights. It's not really known why, as he was never shown that way in the anime.

So, last week, one showed up on ebay in immaculate condition for a very reasonable BIN price. I quickly had a conversation with my "Financial Advisor" and after minimal begging/grovelling, she approved the purchase. The Seller had it in his collection for at least 20 years. He kept it in a vintage lawyer's book case under glass with no lights, in a temperature regulated room. He bought it from a collector in Berkeley at his home, who was selling his prized personal collection. In his Feedback he wrote: "I am glad it went to you, a person who appreciates the Popy toys of the 70s. That was a great period for the ART of Toymaking". What an amazing/pleasurable transaction!

Oh, my Brothers, there's just something about "Deluxe Super Metal Black" that always drove me bezoomny.

Last edited by J.B.; Jun 4, '23, 9:25 PM.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by J.B.
    I'm still in shock. This is a piece that I thought I would never own because of how scarce it is and the price it demands. As a 4th grader, Raideen was my introduction to Japanese Anime. Popy Raideen was the first DX (Deluxe) in their Chogokin line, as he transformed into God Bird Mode. Their first version (on the left) featured white legs, true to the anime, and a shield that had the same color scheme as their Jumbo Raideen. It was a short run before they went to the standard unpainted legs and the colors were reversed on the shield.

Then for some strange reason, Popy released limited edition Black Raideen, featuring a matte finish with metallic gold sticker highlights. It's not really known why, as he was never shown that way in the anime.

So, last week, one showed up on ebay in immaculate condition for a very reasonable BIN price. I quickly had a conversation with my "Financial Advisor" and after minimal begging/grovelling, she approved the purchase. The Seller had it in his collection for at least 20 years. He kept it in a vintage lawyer's book case under glass with no lights, in a temperature regulated room. He bought it from a collector in Berkeley at his home, who was selling his prized personal collection. In his Feedback he wrote: "I am glad it went to you, a person who appreciates the Popy toys of the 70s. That was a great period for the ART of Toymaking". What an amazing/pleasurable transaction!

Oh, my Brothers, there's just something about "Deluxe Super Metal Black" that always drove me bezoomny.

Congrats on the pick up. It’s a beaut.

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Thanks.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, I had no idea such a beast existed, super cool get!
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

that is awesome, and he looks sinister in that all black deco

Comment

• vulcan2074
            Live Long and Prosper
            • Mar 23, 2008

He looks amazing, congratulations on a great score.
            Sammy

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

Incredible find. I've only ever seen one in my lifetime, and it wasn't this nice.
              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

Wow that's a great piece there!

Congrats!
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

Superwildesignmetalfun! Congrats!

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Comment

• shaunaconda
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Mar 29, 2020

That’s really nice! I collect the jumbos, but one day would like to start collecting the metal figures too.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

It's so exciting to get a grail, probably more so for long-time collectors. Congratulations.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

Congrats on a great get. I can't imagine in a more deserving home!
                          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 19, 2019

That is a GORGEOUS piece!! congrats!
                            Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

That’s a jackpot pick up, congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡