Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you still have a kiddie ride outside your supermarket?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I'm assuming this once ubiquitous site has become more and more rare. I'm assuming kids started putting their quarters into arcade games in the 80s and then moved on to home video games and ultimately put an iPad in their line of sight. There are a couple of them outside an outlet mall near me, but I've never seen a kid using them.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

The homeless tweaker outside of our local Dollar General gives piggyback rides for a quarter...
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

Originally posted by Wee67

I'm assuming this once ubiquitous site has become more and more rare. I'm assuming kids started putting their quarters into arcade games in the 80s and then moved on to home video games and ultimately put an iPad in their line of sight. There are a couple of them outside an outlet mall near me, but I've never seen a kid using them.

However, to be more on topic, I haven't seen one in a long time. I used to operate a store that had one inside. Kids heads kept getting caught inside so we eventually took the train out. I still think these rides have some value, though I'm guessing maintenance eats up most profits.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

The last time I was at a local area Walmart, there was a race car ride outside the store for kids, haven’t been there lately maybe it’s still there?

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Wee67
          In today's sad world, I can see a kid taking a header off Trigger and then his parents suing the market.
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

These were still common while my kids were under twelve. They may have dried up in the six years since then or I stopped looking for them. The mall had a block of about eight of them all together and it took credit cards haha. The Apollo capsule had a video screen that included a moon landing and the roller coaster car had a video screen of riding a coaster so it was kind of a cool upgrade.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
              The Apollo capsule had a video screen that included a moon landing and the roller coaster car had a video screen of riding a coaster so it was kind of a cool upgrade.
              That's pretty cool! I had no idea they had upgraded them.

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

I know for sure that the local Meijer store has a horse (inside).

And, along the lines of what TrekStar said, I am thinking that the main Walmart in town may have a few rides, but I am not certain on that one.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Lots of Meijer still have mechanical horses.

Ever since the day all of the real horses suddenly dropped dead at the same time for no reason, it is the closest thing to the real deal you can get.

I often see the Amish and horse girls stare at it longingly.

Or maybe that's just the plot of some dystopian Sci Fi novel I've been dreaming up.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 8, 2015

I haven't seen one in ages, but the thought of it, brings a smile to my face, which it should.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                      I haven't seen one in ages, but the thought of it, brings a smile to my face, which it should.
                      If I come across, I doubt I'll be able to resist sinking a few quarters in it and testing it's weight tolerance.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Other than Meijer stores, the last one I remember seeing was outside an outlet mall in a nearby town. It was a mini-carousel with really small horse, for only the tiniest of tikes. But I think it finally vanished a few years back. The outlet mall has seen better days, too.

My favorite one of those to find in the wild was the (possibly knock-off 66) Batmobile. Come to think of it, it looked a lot like the current super-deformed Hot Wheels version.

sigpic

Comment

• megoapesnut
                          The name says it all!
                          • Dec 3, 2007

I am pretty sure the local Tanger Outlets has one outside the mall office. In fact, I seem to remember a kid riding on it the last time I went handbag shopping there.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

There is a mall here that has seen brighter days, it is filled mainly with government offices now and walk-in clinics. On Saturday it's a ghost town and I swear it has about 15 different machines, they even had the Mazinger one for a while. On rainy days when my kids were small, I'd take them there to run around and do some rides. It was a great cheap way to run off some kid energy.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

If I ever saw the Ultraman or Kamen Rider ride on in the US, I'd get photos of me on it, even as an adult.
                              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎