• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Bring on the Bad Guys: Super Foes Review

Comments of the new 50th Anniversary Super-Foes:

Things that apply to all the figures: Each still has the limited knee movement, but hopefully that can be corrected before too long. Everything else is fine. The heads are amazingly well done. The vintage re-dos are dead on, and the paint jobs are honestly better than any of the originals I’ve had. The paint on all of them is clean, clear and sharp; they look great. The re-use of Barry’s head for Zoom has drawn some criticism around the web, but it is exactly what I would have expected Mego to do back in the 70’s, so it definitely works here if not just because of that. All the suits are well done, with the printing being as crisp as the paint on the heads. Textures and feel are all really close, much like the first wave.

Reverse Flash: I know he’s the most controversial, as he’s definitely not the Mego era version (and I’m pretty sure that’s a problem courtesy of DC). But it’s really only the eyes and the chest symbol that push it into the modern realm. I actually did give him new eyes over his red orbs, and a new chest symbol would basically give me classic Eobard Thawne. The costume is basically Barry’s in reverse, but the boots are different. These are a harder plastic, more like the standard boots, and, honestly, they feel more like a Mego that way. The softer boots and gloves didn’t come along until almost the end of the lines, and weren’t used on many super figures. This feels like the Green Goblin, who had distinct, unique boots but still in the hard plastic. It works here.

Penguin: He’s pretty much the best reproduction of the group. They got everything down, including the wonky way the lapels on the jacket are put together. He is on a new fat version of the new body, and it’s in just about perfect scale with a similar classic type 2 body. Everything fits as one would expect, and his jacket sleeves are the right length. He’s a bundle of nostalgia in a stout 8” container.

Joker: Again, pretty much nailed it as far details and materials go. The jacket feels like the original, the suit looks right. The only problem is the one everyone saw from the start: the jacket sleeves are a little short. Not a lot; it doesn’t look like his jacket shrank in the wash or Atom hit it with some white dwarf energy. You can see just a bit of arm above the wrist when he’s at rest. Not horrible, but I’m not sure why Penguin’s sleeves are just about perfect, and Joker’s aren’t. The torsos are different, but the arms are identical. It’s basically the only strike against the figure, and the change to the all-white body is a good one. It would have been a good move even without the sleeve shortage, as you would likely still see some arm depending on how it was posed, and the neck could easily show depending on the pose, as well.

Riddler: Not much you can do to mess this guy up, honestly, and Mego definitely didn’t. The suit is well done with nice, clear question marks galore, and the color seems REALLY close. The Bat belt is a bit on the dark side compared to the original, but that’s a small nit to pick. He was a very simple figure (only beaten in simplicity in the superhero department by Spider-Man, I believe), and they kept it that way. For Mr. E. Nigma, that works perfectly well.

So these continue the all the good parts of the heroes, and in some ways capture the originals even a touch better. I think we may keep running into the Bronze Age Mego era vs. the modern DC version of character that weren’t made in the original line (the pic used to announce Bizarro has his darker, more modern color scheme), but, as stated above, I think that’s coming from DC on high and Mego is kind of stuck. It’s frustrating in cases like Reverse Flash, as it’s so close to being exactly what Mego would have done 50 years ago. Here’s hoping DC can be convinced to let Mego just do their thing and give us true Mego era versions of the characters we have wanted for five decades.
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by scott metzger
    Comments of the new 50th Anniversary Super-Foes:

Things that apply to all the figures: Each still has the limited knee movement, but hopefully that can be corrected before too long. Everything else is fine. The heads are amazingly well done. The vintage re-dos are dead on, and the paint jobs are honestly better than any of the originals I’ve had. The paint on all of them is clean, clear and sharp; they look great. The re-use of Barry’s head for Zoom has drawn some criticism around the web, but it is exactly what I would have expected Mego to do back in the 70’s, so it definitely works here if not just because of that. All the suits are well done, with the printing being as crisp as the paint on the heads. Textures and feel are all really close, much like the first wave.

Reverse Flash: I know he’s the most controversial, as he’s definitely not the Mego era version (and I’m pretty sure that’s a problem courtesy of DC). But it’s really only the eyes and the chest symbol that push it into the modern realm. I actually did give him new eyes over his red orbs, and a new chest symbol would basically give me classic Eobard Thawne. The costume is basically Barry’s in reverse, but the boots are different. These are a harder plastic, more like the standard boots, and, honestly, they feel more like a Mego that way. The softer boots and gloves didn’t come along until almost the end of the lines, and weren’t used on many super figures. This feels like the Green Goblin, who had distinct, unique boots but still in the hard plastic. It works here.

Penguin: He’s pretty much the best reproduction of the group. They got everything down, including the wonky way the lapels on the jacket are put together. He is on a new fat version of the new body, and it’s in just about perfect scale with a similar classic type 2 body. Everything fits as one would expect, and his jacket sleeves are the right length. He’s a bundle of nostalgia in a stout 8” container.

Joker: Again, pretty much nailed it as far details and materials go. The jacket feels like the original, the suit looks right. The only problem is the one everyone saw from the start: the jacket sleeves are a little short. Not a lot; it doesn’t look like his jacket shrank in the wash or Atom hit it with some white dwarf energy. You can see just a bit of arm above the wrist when he’s at rest. Not horrible, but I’m not sure why Penguin’s sleeves are just about perfect, and Joker’s aren’t. The torsos are different, but the arms are identical. It’s basically the only strike against the figure, and the change to the all-white body is a good one. It would have been a good move even without the sleeve shortage, as you would likely still see some arm depending on how it was posed, and the neck could easily show depending on the pose, as well.

Riddler: Not much you can do to mess this guy up, honestly, and Mego definitely didn’t. The suit is well done with nice, clear question marks galore, and the color seems REALLY close. The Bat belt is a bit on the dark side compared to the original, but that’s a small nit to pick. He was a very simple figure (only beaten in simplicity in the superhero department by Spider-Man, I believe), and they kept it that way. For Mr. E. Nigma, that works perfectly well.

So these continue the all the good parts of the heroes, and in some ways capture the originals even a touch better. I think we may keep running into the Bronze Age Mego era vs. the modern DC version of character that weren’t made in the original line (the pic used to announce Bizarro has his darker, more modern color scheme), but, as stated above, I think that’s coming from DC on high and Mego is kind of stuck. It’s frustrating in cases like Reverse Flash, as it’s so close to being exactly what Mego would have done 50 years ago. Here’s hoping DC can be convinced to let Mego just do their thing and give us true Mego era versions of the characters we have wanted for five decades.
    Great review. Can’t wait to get mine from ZLC.

For DC, they can’t be convinced. No one in charge at DC knows what they’re doing, and none of their decisions are based on common sense or what’s best for business. As a lifelong DC fan it hurts me to say this, but it’s the truth.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Hmmm. On the pix I've seen, the front of Penguin's is cut differently from vintage, and Joker's coattails are unhemmed. Is this the case in-hand, or is the Joker's sleeve-length indeed the prime difference?

Thank you for the review.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hizzy
        Museum Super Collector
        • Apr 1, 2023

Sad about the knee thing. I hope mego knows. I've got no idea of who to contact.

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Hmmm. On the pix I've seen, the front of Penguin's is cut differently from vintage, and Joker's coattails are unhemmed. Is this the case in-hand, or is the Joker's sleeve-length indeed the prime difference?

Thank you for the review.
          Hadn't noted a difference in the front of Pengy's jacket; what struck me is the way the inside where the lapels are isn't really tacked down, so you have to finesse it into shape and make sure it's tucked under, just like I remember with the old one. I'll have to look at the Joker's tails, as I hadn't noticed them not being hemmed.

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by hizzy
            Sad about the knee thing. I hope mego knows. I've got no idea of who to contact.
            They have to know by now.

There's just a certain clumsiness with how they've addressed issues in the modern Mego. Expect it to eventually be fixed, but inadvertently some other issue crop up. This is the way.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I received my set yesterday. Cursorily, they all look good in box. However, I've been quite harsh on FTC in the past and expect better from Mego:

*Some paint masking missteps on my Riddler head, YMMV. The belt is much too dark, but I know these are not close reproductions.

*Reverse-Flash's costume is great and I love the boots-- I wish Flash, too had these plastic and not vinyl boots. The head is not opaque enough to complement the suit.

*Nice screen-printing on Joker & Penguin, but the tailcoats are shamefully sloppy. Joker's fabric is better than FTC's version, but the tails are unhemmed and the short sleeves are an obvious detriment. Penguin's is off-model and a disservice to the unique cut of the vintage coat. Evidently sewing curves in China is challenging.

I've posted elsewhere about what I consider the oddities of the boxes/logos for Mego 50th. I'm chalking it up to licensor regulations and not poor design.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; May 27, '23, 2:03 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2019

I don't get why they went backwards with the knees... the Red Sun Superman I have has super articulation..his knees bend great...but than they chose not to use them with the WGSH?.... I don't get it..
                Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 19, 2019

Ya know what...holding them up side by side...

The WGSH body has a wider torso...and the arms and legs look a bit bigger too..

I'm kind of torn now...
                  Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• hizzy
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Apr 1, 2023

I'm reading more talk about the knees getting fixed in future waves. It's a shame as I hope this doesn't hurt sales too much. I know I'm not rushing to buy these new figures like I did wave 1. Posing the Flashes in a run looks more like a casual stroll. Haha.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎