Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creepshow figure: What is the "muck" deco made from?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KnightDetective
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 31, 2012

Creepshow figure: What is the "muck" deco made from?

In multiple attempts to order WGSH Flash from Walmart, I received a number of Creepshow figures instead, even after I pointed out the problem and the fix. I returned and cancelled reorders, but they kept coming. Long story short, they finally gave up and told me to keep the last one for free. Well, don't mind if I do! Thank you, overseas customer service!

It's a little too modern for my classic horror tastes, so it's destined to be a custom, maybe a mummy or pirate. What is this stuff caked on the suit and hands? I know what it's supposed to represent but what is it made of? Paint? Glue? Plastic? It's hard as a brickbat! Crumbs of the stuff fill the bottom of the package. I haven't opened it but poured some of the loose chunks out of the bottom of the bubble. If it can't be cleaned, I may just keep it MOC.

I'm not knocking the figure. It's well done and the included female head is nicely sculpted and painted. Just want to clean this stuff off of the figure and start fresh.

Any ideas? Anyone used it for a custom?
  • KnightDetective
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 31, 2012

Update: On the odd chance that anyone is dying to know...

Finally had time to open the figure. I'm guessing this stuff is just globbed-on acrylic paint. Large swathes of it peeled right off the figure. Looks and feels like hard plastic. A damp paper towel liquefied the rest and for a couple of stubborn spots, a drop of Dawn dish soap made short work of it.

I was surprised to find a nice fitting white (well, the parts hidden by the jacket, anyway) sleeveless shirt under the crusty jacket. (Seriously, the painted pants and jacket can stand on their own.) Looks like the clean, dressed figure was just slathered in paint. Gonna soak the outfit and see if I can get it clean. Shame to let it go to waste.

This version of the new body is nice, save for the low range-of-motion knees, slightly loose waist and one foot wasn't pushed all the way in, making it stand like a supermodel. None of which was a big deal for my purposes. Probably save it for my Halloween custom this year.

In the meantime, it's my fitting model for tailoring custom outfits. Pretty useful for what was essentially a free figure. Thanks Walmart! (And thanks to Frank Wojo for sorting out my Flash situation!)

Comment

• KingKickass1983
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2019

Not surprising they used paint. The Borg figure has a hand that is just painted. You can tell because the paint went up to mid forearm.
      Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• KnightDetective
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
        Not surprising they used paint. The Borg figure has a hand that is just painted. You can tell because the paint went up to mid forearm.
        Yeah, it's a clever and perfectly acceptable shortcut for the price. Kind of impressed that they went the extra mile with the texturing. I was just thrown by the fact that the thick paint app on the figure itself was rock hard (when dry) and looked exactly like the plastic the figure was made from. The hands looked like they had been melted or dabbed with molten plastic. Was happy to see the fingers were still there underneath the gunk!

Now that I know it's "reversible", I might pick up a couple more. Plenty of stuff in my parts box for haunted pirates, cowboys and mummies!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎