X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Green Arrow 50th Figure Review

Just got Ollie in the other night, and figured I'd share some thoughts on it and hopefully hear some other folks takes as he starts shipping.

The figure itself hits a lot of the nostalgia buttons and really captures the original well. As far as accuracy goes, the head is pretty much dead on, and sized correctly (they did not just re-use the head from the earlier smaller bodies, it is properly scaled). The yellow is little brighter, but not in a bad way; very conic book-y. The hat is harder plastic rather than soft like Batman's cowl; it does have some strong two-sided tape holding it on the head, but it seems to want to pop up a bit once it's removed and the tape loses a bit of its hold. It is a perfect re-do of the classic hat as far as appearance goes. The costume has all the original lines. The green on the body is a bit darker than the original was fresh out of the package in the day, but I always felt the the original was way too light a green, so that's actually an improvement. The shoulder pieces and upper gloves are spot on to the velour-ish material used in the 70's, and the color match is almost perfect. The sleeves seem a teeny bit short, but that may not be true across the production run; it's a very tiny bit, so it might just be mine. The quiver is also spot on, right down to the way it fits on the arms. Boots are standard and, like the previous wave, feel just like the originals. The only difference is the corrected bow, in green as it should have been back in the day. But it's the same bow, and he holds it well. All in all, it's a faithful representation of the 70's figure, and the head is still the best version of the Adams/Grell era Ollie ever done.

The body is the same as the first wave. The knees are still limited, though somehow I seem to get a little more bend out of them. Everything seems tight but not stuck. It is still interesting to me to see what parts are in the same mold as the hands on these bodies based on the parts of the joints that are green here.

I'm not a package guy, but even I have to say I did get the nostalgia rush from the box, especially seeing that Alex Toth Superfriends model pic on the back.

So, a couple minor issues, but nothing that spoils the figure. It takes me back to that Christmas when I got Ollie and Iron Man, and immediately set them up against my new Prehistoric Scenes T-Rex. He does everything he's supposed to do here, and does it well. And now Hal has his hard travelling partner to trek across the country with. Now I hope to hear some other voices chime in as folks get the Emerald Archer in hand.
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Thanks for the review! Looking forward to mine getting here.

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks! GA is most anticipated 50th repro.

Comment

• hizzy
        Museum Super Collector
        • Apr 1, 2023

I can't wait!

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

It does sound like a definite must have regardless of the knee issue, in fact they all our a definite must have knee issues or not, after all it’s Mego and it’s what we all wanted.

I still have a couple of Walmarts in or around my area, there’s one I haven’t been able to check yet and next week I’ll be right near it, so fingers crossed.

Comment

• bobws
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 13, 2008

Ollie is the figure I am most excited to get of the old characters. GL and Flash were the must get new ones and I did already get them. My next order is GA Shazam Superman and Batman. No real interest in villians yet.
            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Green Arrow looks stunning in the box. When I got him, I was ready to rip it open, but couldn't do it, especially since the box was in pristine condition. Eventually I will have a second one coming to open.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

A sharp figure, with the green bow a nice touch.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎