X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

GI Joe Adventure Team Photo Recon

As mentioned in the latest episode of Toy-Ventures (which has a contest BTW) , I recently picked up this wonder GI Joe Adventure Team piece. I collect GI Joe but am what they call “Content.” I haven’t actively searched eBay in ages, and while I always keep my eyes open, I really didn’t have any […]
    The post GI Joe Adventure Team Photo Recon appeared first on PS.

More...
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Nice pickup!

I also really dig this illustration of Joe, what a badass. The artwork is huge for this because, without it, it’s just a jumpsuit and a camera.
    Spot on comment and it points out that the art and packaging were a big part of the sell back in the day.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Does the actual outfit have the AT logo? It looks massive in the artwork but I don’t see one in the package or in the catalog photo. Honestly as a kid I would have felt ripped off.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I don't think it does, which would explain the feebly drawn one I put on mine as a kid with a magic marker.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 26, 2008

One of the AT sets I remember picking out and getting from the Ben Franklin store back then.
          Chad

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Congrats, I don't dare buy stuff like that carded. The urge to open it would be too great.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• KingKickass1983
              Career Member
              • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by Werewolf
              Congrats, I don't dare buy stuff like that carded. The urge to open it would be too great.
              Same, I prefer to buy loose. Bonus if it come with the original packaging.
              Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                Does the actual outfit have the AT logo? It looks massive in the artwork but I don’t see one in the package or in the catalog photo. Honestly as a kid I would have felt ripped off.
                I did a cursory look at all of the AT uniform sets from that line (73-76 Uniform sets) and their packaging. It doesn't look like any of those sets had an AT sticker and Photo Recon appears to be the only one with it featured on the card art. The 72-75 Equipment sets did have the AT logo on the uniform and that includes, oddly enough, the Secret Agent set. My guess is that the AT logo was gone from that line as part of the several other cost cutting strategies at work as GI JOE was nearing the end of its lifecycle.

https://www.vintage3djoes.com/1973-76-uniform-sets.html

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Thoughts:

*Joe looks weird the art for this.

*"The artwork is huge for this because, without it, it’s just a jumpsuit and a camera." Absolutely. And IIRC, Hasbro replaced the KARATE set in the assortment with this, that's All Kinds Of Wrong.

*I'll bet this was a cost-saving offering, those cameras are likely left over from the astronaut sets.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

That's interesting, I'd never recommend getting rid of Karate stuff.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                      That's interesting, I'd never recommend getting rid of Karate stuff.
                      My apologies: According to the indispensable and exhaustive Vintage 3D Joes site, Photo Recon replaced Winter Rescue and the espionage-themed Infiltration set replaced Karate.

I think I could keep a simpler set like this carded, but I'm always tempted to dress up Joe.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎