X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KnightDetective
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 31, 2012

Creature Features Horror Host Online Show

I'm a sucker for hosted horror shows, classic or new. Even when they're not very well done, I appreciate the effort. Fortunately, there are many to choose from online. Was looking for something to supplement Svengoolie (and make up for not being able to get Marlena Midnite these days) and ran across this.

Creature Features at https://creaturefeatures.tv/ and on Youtube.

I was somewhat aware of the history of the classic show but had no idea someone had taken up the mantle. This version has a retired musician, his droll butler, his ward the delightful Tangella and the frequent target of her hijinks, the handyman Handrew. All residing in the usual haunted mansion.

Movie selection is a bit more varied than the usual public domain stuff, though there is plenty of that as well. There's a fun running gag about their movie promo art, which may slightly overpromise on what you actually get. Prints have been lovely on what I've watched so far. Production values are decent. Some things, like guest segments, are a little slow sometimes. It's not perfect, but there are enough clever bits and good intentions that I'm adopting them for now.

Upgraded reruns drop Wednesday nights on Youtube and new shows are live Saturdays at midnight Eastern.

Watch some Tangella clips at least. She's a hoot!
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

His name is Vincent Van Dahl. I was set hip to him and the show when I was out in 2020 for the San Jose toy show.

A year and a half ago when I was in San Jose for the Toy show, I was up late in my hotel channel surfing, when I came across this: https://creaturefeatures.tv/ This dude, Vincent Van Dahl from a former Heavy Metal band (HA!), now Monster movie host! I watched it that night and really liked it and kept track of it,

And personally speaking, He BLOWS AWAY SvenGoolie. I was toying with the idea of sending in a video and stating that VVD is the NEW SON OF Svengoolie!!! And like you said he puts out NEW SHOWS each week, no repeats like a tired old Hack!!

Comment

• KnightDetective
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
      And like you said he puts out NEW SHOWS each week...
      Thanks for the link, Jorge! Should have known I was late to the party!

Yeah, not only are there new shows each week, they seem to be gradually reposting their back catalog with improved quality. Last night's live Wayback Wednesday showing of Horror Express featured a very nice foreign print. Having seen the movie many times in poor quality, I only intended to watch the host bits. Ended up giving it my undivided attention!

In my initial viewing, Vincent seemed to be the weakest link for me, being overshadowed by Mr. Livingston and Tangella. He's grown on me quite a bit since. Read that he politely refused an award nomination because it implied that he alone was responsible for the show's success, excluding his co-stars and crew. I realize now that he may underplay a bit to let the others shine. Good on him!

I like Sven, but as with Elvira's "replacement hunt", this Son of Sven search is cringeworthy. I don't blame him for playing ball with Uni and trying to grow the franchise. With his health scare, I imagine he is trying to assure his family is provided for if he were gone. I wouldn't want Vince and crew to be hampered by network demands anyway.

A more compatible possible Sven successor? In your old post, T'Bolt mentions Wolfman Mac. Used to love his show! Thought he deserved more enduring success. Liked that he gave some of the local burlesque ladies respect and a shot at more mainstream work. With all of the streaming channels hungry for content, maybe he'll resurface someday.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

To me he’s a much better host than Sven and has been getting some really good movies too. Me Lobo is my other fave.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• KnightDetective
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          To me he’s a much better host than Sven and has been getting some really good movies too. Me Lobo is my other fave.
          Yeah, like I said, he quickly grew on me. My initial comment was a fresh take based on a couple or three viewings and some clips. Having seen a few shows that gave him room to breathe, I "get" him and his character now.

Delving deeper into their back catalog, I'm pleasantly surprised at some of the movies and guests they've been able to get. Also digging the "host segments only" posts. Would like to see other hosts follow suit.

Don't tempt me with Lobo right now! I have to sleep sometime!

Comment

• KnightDetective
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 31, 2012

Just a quick revisit to this thread to mention that there is more than just straight horror on offer here.

They have some surprisingly nice prints of ABC Circle films and CBS movie of the week type stuff, not just horror but disaster and suspense films, too!

Even when the movie isn't a "grabber", I enjoy seeing the actors and the world of the 70's again, this time in HD!

Comment

• JoyceWinborne
              • Jul 3, 2023

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind.
              Last edited by JoyceWinborne; Dec 11, '23, 2:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎