X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Things to do in Ohio, other than toys.

This August I will definitely be checking out the Ringside Cafe; a boxing-themed restaurant. Burgers named after my favorite fighters like Frazier and Duran.

Also saw there's a statute of Arnold which I'd like to see.

Any other cool stuff to do in Ohio besides just toys shows/stores? Post em here.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Are you talking Columbus, or the whole state? Which direction are you coming?

Arnold Statue is gonna be easy, it's at the convention center where the meet is held.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

In Columbus, COSI (science museum) is awesome, as is the Columbus Zoo.

In Columbus on the campus of OSU you have the Billy Ireland Museum of Cartoon art which is a must see for any fan of comics or comic strips.

You also have the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Columbus.

Cincinnati also has a great zoo and botanical gardens.

In Ohio as a whole, you also have 2 Hall of Fames, the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

The Christmas Story House is in Cleveland as well.

If you like amusement parks, there are a few in Ohio as well.

Cedar Point in Sandusky
      Kings Island near Cincinnati

There's the National Air Force Museum in Dayton

You can tour a number of Native American Heritage sites, including remnant of some of the mound building cultures throughout Ohio

If you like spelunking, The Ohio Caverns just outside of West Liberty are great for that sort of thing.

There are rail tours, brewery tours, wine tours, covered bridge tours, etc.

A lot depends on what your interests are outside of toys, how long you have, and where in Ohio you are (and how much $$$ you want to spend).

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Cincinnati has that amazing Stretch Monster mural that was shown on plaid stallions - that'd be worth the 2hr drive from Columbus to see in person.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• pmwasson
          Maker
          • Sep 12, 2007

I'll be checking out some of the running trails around Columbus.
          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Kings Island amusement park in Cincinnati, is the on location episode they filmed the Brady Bunch episode, “The Cincinnati Kids” in 1973, it’s now actually the 50th anniversary of that episode.

Comment

• Duncan
              Museum focus-groupie
              • Jun 27, 2009

Morgan Wallen will have concerts at The Shoe on 8/11 & 8/12. You'll want to avoid the OSU campus around then unless you're going to the show.

Don't drive a Kia or Hyundai to Columbus, or use a Club, or similar if you do. Be careful about blowing your horn or flipping people off in traffic. We keep having traffic disputes ending with gunfire. Also, maybe look at a crime map to learn where to avoid. There are areas where you don't even want to go to the gas station.

Columbus is a foodie town, with many different international cuisines. You'll see plenty of places near the Meet in the Short North area. We have an area in the northwest part of Columbus with Korean & Japanese places, including Korean fried chicken (CM Chicken) and a Japanese grocery (Tensuke Market) and gift shop. The Refectory is a bit north of there, offering world class French cuisine. In other areas you can find Somalian, Mexican (including Spicy Cup (a bakery) and an ice cream place), pierogies, baklava, etc. You name it. But again, be careful of where you go. This week we had a murder across the street fr Ohio State, an interstate shut down for several hours after a traffic shooting, and a hotel guest shot when a stray bullet came through the wall.

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

I will add that Tensuke Market has a ton of great Japanese restaurants in the vicinity.

I personally recommend Tensuke express.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Duncan
                  Museum focus-groupie
                  • Jun 27, 2009

Originally posted by B-Lister
                  I will add that Tensuke Market has a ton of great Japanese restaurants in the vicinity.

I personally recommend Tensuke express.
                  That strip mall is fun. There's also a bakery and bubble tea in there.

And further northwest you start seeing more Chinese and Indian. My favorite up there is Neehee's vegetarian Indian street food. The food looks absolutely beautiful, and the taste matches.

Bringing Indian Vegetarian & Vegan-Friendly Street Food to America. Pre-order your food online on Neehee's and skip the line.

Comment

• GaryB
                    • Jul 29, 2012

Columbus native here and avid runner. Highbanks Metro Park is an awesome place to get a good 6 to 8 miler in. Beautiful scenery and not too far from the convention center...20-25 minutes or so. A lot of other great parks too depending on how much spare time you have

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Duncan
                      That strip mall is fun. There's also a bakery and bubble tea in there.

And further northwest you start seeing more Chinese and Indian. My favorite up there is Neehee's vegetarian Indian street food. The food looks absolutely beautiful, and the taste matches.

https://www.neehees.com/
                      Thanks for recommending Neehees! We always drive past, but were never sure if we should stop and try it!

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                        This August I will definitely be checking out the Ringside Cafe; a boxing-themed restaurant. Burgers named after my favorite fighters like Frazier and Duran.

Also saw there's a statute of Arnold which I'd like to see.

Any other cool stuff to do in Ohio besides just toys shows/stores? Post em here.
                        The Arnold statue is outside the convention center where Mega Meet is being held - so that will be an easy one. 486 n high (Convention center entrance at Spruce on N. High)

You might be able to go talk to Buster Douglas at Thompson Rec Center. He runs a boxing program there. It is a Columbus Recreation center open to the public. Call ahead to ask when he is around 614 645 3082. Just walk in. Gym is the first door on left. Stop at the desk ahead of you first. He is usually there late afternoon / evenings Tuesday to Thursday. My younger daughter took lessons from him when she was in 4th grade. He (and all the guys there) are A+ people. The videos of Eleanor sparring with him are precious. 1.5 miles north of the convention.

Entrance on Dennison Ave at W Greenwood Ave, Columbus, OH 43201
                        Last edited by Brue; Jun 11, '23, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by MRP
                          In Columbus, COSI (science museum) is awesome, as is the Columbus Zoo.

-M
                          COSI is a large science museum - if you have kids 3-11 coming, they would love it. There is an infant and toddler play area too. And while it is aimed at kids, all ages will have things to see, do and learn. it is close by. It isn't cheap. It is the same as many science and industry family museums I have been to across the country. 1 mile walk from the convention. Walk if you can, because parking is not free and will take almost as long to get there.

Whether walking to COSI or just out for a walk - stop at Battelle park on the Olentangy River and walk south to the Scioto Mile. The paved path along the River

The Zoo is top notch but a long way from the convention. it is world class and if animals are your thing, you should do it. not cheap. parking extra. (half hour drive if no traffic)

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by pmwasson
                            I'll be checking out some of the running trails around Columbus.
                            The lower Olentangy trail (shared use paved) head is 1.4 miles from the convention. It goes north 14 miles with half mile 5.75-6.26 on residential streets with one street crossing. I live near mile 6.5 on the trail. The trail does go south of the trail head a few miles as well.

The nicest trails are arguably Highbanks park 20-25 mins drive north of the city. These are mostly rolling wide dirt trails with some groomed pebble trails.

Besides great running/walking trails at Highbanks, there are Eagles and other wildlife in the park. There are Indian mounds. The nature center is nice and has lots to see and learn (with clean restrooms and AC). Entry and parking free.

here is a map of all the trails in and connecting metro parks. also links to all of the metro parks

Highbanks is named for its massive 100-foot-high shale bluff towering over the Olentangy State Scenic River. Tributary streams cutting across the bluff have created a number of deep ravines in the eastern part of the 1,160-acre park. Ohio and Olentangy shales, often containing outstanding large concretions, are exposed on the bluff face and sides of the ravines.

Last edited by Brue; Jun 12, '23, 3:32 PM.

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Scioto Audubon park is close by and has a nature center (birds of course). It has a dog park if you brought one.

There is an outdoor obstacle course with stuff like you would see in Warrior Dash or other adventure race.

There is an amazing climbing wall park there. It is FREE to use and there are auto belays connected (you would need a harness - you can borrow mine). There are low climbing things and too. Or bring your own climbing gear.

it is a 10 minute drive with free parking. Or a 2 mile walk south (1.6 of it on the shared use trail).

Set amid a once industrial landscape, Scioto Audubon has been transformed from a blighted brownfield into a green oasis where wildlife and birds thrive and flourish. The 120-acre park is a recreational and educational destination for visitors of all ages. Located along the banks of the Scioto River just south of downtown Columbus, the park resulted from a partnership between Metro Parks, City of Columbus and Ohio Audubon to bring nature to the capital city.
                              Last edited by Brue; Jun 11, '23, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎