Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

You know, in retrospect, I don't think Keaton was a less than good Batman. He might be my favorite Batman from all the movies, starting with his role in 1989 all the way up to the Bale movies; I still haven't put the effort in to watch the latest Batman movie, so I cannot comment on it. And it feels like it will take effort to watch.

I just have not really liked any of the Batman movies. Batman Returns might be my favorite. The Dark Knight was long and dreary, so I only caught bits and pieces of The Dark Knight Rises on cable, in the background. I don't know what it is, but the Batman movies never moved me. Give me animated Batman all day, every day.

Christopher Reeve Superman is still my favorite DC Comics comic book movie. Shazam might be number two. I know that The Flash movie is more in line with the other DC movies (it is the end of the Snyderverse, right?), but it might be the first DCEU movie I am somewhat excited to see besides the Shazam movies (still need to see Fury of the Gods; timing didn't work for a theater viewing) and Batman Begins. The storyline definitly intrigues me, but it doesn't hurt that The Flash is finally looking like The Flash, and not that nonsense costume he was wearing in the Justice League movie.

Comment

• knight errant00
      8 Inch Action Figure
      • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      ...He worked harder at bringing the character across as an actor, using the costume better than anyone, despite having the most limited amount of movement due to that suit. He manufactured an air of mystery around him, just by his movements, capturing that early Golden Age Batman feel. He worked the cape better than anyone before or since.

... Keaton actually sunk his teeth into that role and tried to unlock him as an actor.
      Chris, I think Keaton knew this role had the potential to establish him as a leading man and move him away from being typecast as a fun goof like in Mr. Mom, Beetlejuice, Night Shift, etc. and he swung for the cheap seats in trying to bring the character to life.

That and the suit . . . man, it limited him but he made it work. And the look -- as the pic below shows, in a lot of ways that was Neal Adams Batman brought to life.

imbatman-1024x576.jpg

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^He definitely channeled the Bronze Age Batman too, in particular the Marshall Rogers capeage, but also some Adams for sure.
        sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

I'm also indifferent to the Keaton/Burton Batman.
          Back in '89, as a die-hard Batman fan, I was looking forward to the movie so much.
          I was disappointed. Rather than the acrobatic, nimble and powerful Batman from the comics, we got a stocky, relatively immobile character in a rubber straightjacket.
          But it wasn't all bad. The movie had excellent production design (the dark, Art Deco Gotham looked amazing), and the Batmobile was impressive.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Liu Bei
            Banned
            • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Brown Bear
            As a nostalgia person, I get all the fuss about Keaton but I was never a fan of him as Batman. And the POS playing Flash as well as the Supergirl looking nothing like the version I know and love leaves me unmoved by the whole thing. To me, this comes off as a blatant ripoff of Marvel's multiverse storyline that brought back Tobey McQuire.

Will i watch it? Meh, probably rent it and browse my phone during the scenes with Flash.
            I won’t reward Miller’s bad behavior so count me out as well.

As for Keaton, his film wasn’t the most faithful adaptation of the character (shooting people and blowing them up), even still, I like the movie and think Keaton was the best cinematic Batman ever. He looked better in the batsuit than any other actor before or since.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 3, 2009

went to see the first showing at my local flea pit yesterday ,view cinema in crewe

11 am showing about 18 punters in for it

non waiting outside to go in for next showing as we left

staff turned up the house lights ,washing the picture right out just as the after credits bit came on lol

not great

surprising to me was not even a poster for the flash outside the cinema

they had one for some nickelodeon turtles thing ,i dont know anthing about it ,looked like a tv show spin off or some thing to me

but no promotion for the flash at all

it was okay

didn't hate it

but i didn't love it either

doubt ill ever watch it again or remember it fondly anytime soon
              too bad

for me file under wonder woman 84 and josstice league as it seemed to fit with them in terms of quality and sensibility

im old and dont do any social media but from what my son who came with me,
              hes 30 says it seemed aimed at the tick tock crowd ,whatever that is or means lol

im guessing its the kids that call out to the flash in the trailer

well at least they love him lol

the scorpion king style CGI in the speed force thing and parallel worlds didn't bother me too much as i put it down to a design choice much like the animated metal filings look of the kryptonian animated retelling of their conquest of the stars in man of steel

on another non buzz anecdote

no thread or mention of the film on the uk football forum i visit entertainment section where marvel movies spiderverse and guardians of the lavatory have regular threads active
              Last edited by libby 1957dog; Jun 15, '23, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Overall, it was okay.
                The movie certainly had some enjoyable moments, mostly involving Barry's interactions with Affleck and Keaton.
                And of course, there were some cool nods to previous film and TV incarnations of DC characters.

Plenty of double decker buses around here with giant ads for the movie on them.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

My family really enjoyed it. The story and characters are compelling, and it takes a different approach to time travel and multiversal consequences than all the other multiverse films we've seen lately. Keaton was fantastic. Sasha Calle's Supergirl was intriuging, if a bit under-utilized. And actually Ezra Miller did a good job of carrying the film, despite all of their problems. The callbacks and nods are some great fist-pumping moments.

It's not perfect by any means. You can see some where the cuts and changes were made after the decision came down to NOT move forward with Keaton as the DCEU's permanent Batman. Another flaw is that Keaton's best moments were all seen in the trailers, due to them not wanting to market around the unstable and publicly disintegrating Ezra Miller. I can't really blame them for that, because they had to market it somehow.

Any DC fan should go see it. I think you'll get your money's worth of enjoyment out of it.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

There's a much better and more cohesive movie in there somewhere, but it was sadly thwarted by multiple reshoots and revisions.
                    It's particularly annoying that Henry Cavill's cameo was cut.

Warner Bros. and DC Studios released The Flash this weekend to underwhelming results at the box office , with a new report shedding light on the film's ending and a cameo was cut.
                    Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jun 20, '23, 9:44 AM.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^I wish they had stuck with the original ending of Keaton's Bruce with Sasha Calle's Supergirl landing at the courthouse. Otherwise, their appearances are kind of...dismall, utlimately. I mean, Keaton gets an arc with it, but poor Supergirl gets released from prison just to die over and over again. Chances are Clooney is NOT Gunn's Batman of The Brave and The Bold film, so why not just leave Keaton in, even if you aren't going to continue with him as originally planned (like the aborted Batgirl film)?

I don't understand WB's huge middle finger to Cavill. What did he do to deserve such an unceremonial dumping? Is it because he got caught up in Dwayne Johnson's hype train?
                      sigpic

Comment

• Dannyc
                        • Feb 6, 2023

Thought it was pretty fun myself...especially the later 2/3 of the movie. Keaton Bats is just effortlessly cool, he was the reason I wanted to see it and I was not disappointed.

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

I actually liked it quite a bit. You forget how compelling Ezra Miller can be, but they really carry the movie. It’s certainly not perfect, as it becomes a bit too overstuffed toward the latter third of the movie, but I thought it was fun.

One missed opportunity, that is slightly SPOILERY, only in that it says who isn’t in the movie.

They should have used a de-aged Terence Stamp instead of Michael Shannon. Would have been a great swerve and people really don’t care about Shannon’s Zod, but would have gone bananas if it was Stamp.

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Young moviegoers have no idea who Terence Stamp is though. And actually all the DC nerds in the Snyderverse Facebook Page love Michael Shannon.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

In a rare movie theater venture, I saw the movie. It was hit and miss to me. Loved Keaton and Sasha Calle. Ezra Miller, specifically the younger version, all I wanted was for him to die a thousand times over, he was that annoying and obnoxious. The CGI was gawd-awful. I don’t care what the director said about being Barry’s point of view…IT WAS HORRID.

Compare the incredibly bad and cringe Flash baby rescue scene to Quicksilver’s amazing and funny scene in X-Men Apocalypse…

I did love the cameos, that was fun…especially the one fighting a giant spider…wow…that was great…

Anyway, The Flash is bombing. That’s sad, because I prefer DC and want it to succeed and beat Marvel so bad. Wish I could see Sasha Calle again as Supergirl, she really surprised me, but unfortunately, this looks like her first and last appearance as Kara. This is also Ezra Miller’s last Flash portrayal.

Then Flash gets a 10 for Keaton. A 9 for Sasha Calle. A 4 for Ezra Miller. A big fat ZERO for the awful CGI.

The Flash gets a total score of…6 out of 10.

Ok, James Gunn…you better bring it!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Dannyc
                                • Feb 6, 2023

Speaking of audiences not getting who someone is, I've had to explain the 'death of superman lives' thing quite a few times this past weekend lol.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎