X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by KnightDetective
    I've fairly enjoyed what I've seen of Strange New Worlds so far. No idea why they insist it is the Prime timeline though.

I cope by considering TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager as classic and untouchable. No retconning necessary.

For current streaming Trek, I brush all the inconsistencies aside into a self-contained little pile by considering the TNG movies (and all of their differences from the tv series) as alternate timeline. For me, TNG First Contact creates the current timeline, where I place ST Enterprise as the result, which leads to ST Discovery, Strange New Worlds and ST Picard's grimdark version of TNG. This lets me enjoy SNW at least without worrying about all of the changes in style and behavior. I figure all of the cussin', loose morals and strange lack of adequate lighting technology place it halfway between the Prime and Mirror Universes.

Must say the frequently informal tone is a little jarring. The SNW episodes I saw sometimes felt like a house of hip twenty-something gamers or students, with Pike as the cool house parent. If the writers are attempting to reference the relaxed camaraderie of the TOS crew in their later years, well, these fresh young whippersnappers haven't earned that yet. I don't know, maybe this version of Starfleet is run by really mellow college age kids...

(One more thing, forget the rumored Section 31 show/movie. I'd watch the daylights out of a retcon show where Michelle Yeoh had tossed Teary von Mutiny-Britches directly out of the nearest airlock and went on with the adventures of the Shenzhou! But that's just me. I kept trying Discovery, just wasn't my cuppa. Everyone else enjoy, though!)
    I also do not consider any of the TNG movies to be canon. I mentioned it in a other thread, but I consider the future in All Good Things to be the prime timeline future, and the TNG films to be an alternate timeline.

Obviously the Bad Reboot films and spin-off series are part of the Kelvin timeline, which are a less cool, less appealing type of mirror universe.

Comment

• KnightDetective
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by Liu Bei
      I mentioned it in another thread, but I consider the future in All Good Things to be the prime timeline future, and the TNG films to be an alternate timeline.
      Come to think of it, I may have posted some version of my timeline babble in another thread as well. Apologies to anyone that was subjected to that twice!

Ditto on All Good Things, LB. In my mind, Riker and crew are still at the card table, awaiting their next adventure!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Pretty much all Star Trek after Voyager's "Endgame" has been more or less non-canon to me.
        But I've still watched everything that's been churned out since 2001.
        Some of it has actually been pretty entertaining (Enterprise), while some of it has been utterly abysmal (Discovery).
        These days, the Star Trek franchise seems to be in the hands of people who neither like nor understand Star Trek.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Liu Bei
          Banned
          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by KnightDetective
          Come to think of it, I may have posted some version of my timeline babble in another thread as well. Apologies to anyone that was subjected to that twice!

Ditto on All Good Things, LB. In my mind, Riker and crew are still at the card table, awaiting their next adventure!
          It was probably you and I having this conversation in that other thread, haha. But yeah, to me the crew of the Enterprise D is still together having adventures somewhere.

Comment

• Liu Bei
            Banned
            • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
            Pretty much all Star Trek after Voyager's "Endgame" has been more or less non-canon to me.
            But I've still watched everything that's been churned out since 2001.
            Some of it has actually been pretty entertaining (Enterprise), while some of it has been utterly abysmal (Discovery).
            These days, the Star Trek franchise seems to be in the hands of people who neither like nor understand Star Trek.
            I love Enterprise, despite its flaws.

And totally agree on Star Trek now being run by people who don’t like or understand it. They’ve essentially admitted as much. Ditto on Star Wars.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Liu Bei
              I love Enterprise, despite its flaws.
              I will say that I found the characters in 'Enterprise' infinitely more likeable and compelling than the majority of the DS9 or Voyager roster.
              I found myself actually caring what happened to the 'Enterprise' crew.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                I will say that I found the characters in 'Enterprise' infinitely more likeable and compelling than the majority of the DS9 or Voyager roster.
                I found myself actually caring what happened to the 'Enterprise' crew.
                I agree. The Enterprise crew was instantly likable, coming up just behind TOS and TNG. DS9 is an acquired taste, and has consistently good storytelling, but the characters aren’t as endearing as Archer’s crew. The Voyager crew is the least likable of any crew from the Roddenberry/Berman era (aka real Star Trek).

Mulgrew wasn’t their first choice for Janeway, and unlike Avery Brooks, she just never was able to grow into that role. Brooks was, and he is right up there with Kirk and Picard in the pantheon of great Starfleet captains. In fact, just me personally, but I would actually put Sisko a hair above Picard as far as my favorite captains go. But that may be just because I’m knee deep in a DS9 run right now.

But back to your point, I liked everyone on Enterprise. Jolene Blalock gave the best Vulcan performance in franchise history outside Nimoy and Lenard as Spock and Sarek. She was that good.

Comment

• KnightDetective
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 31, 2012

Well, since this is still going...

Voyager. Magnificent theme and opening sequence. Was a fan of Kate prior to this but didn't care for Janeway or the stressful premise at all. Possibly due to sporadic viewing as I worked nights then. My opinion has softened considerably after a rewatch (and Prodigy).

Enterprise. I liked both the show and characters. Enjoyed it even more on subsequent viewings. Jolene is indeed woefully underrated.

Three random things:

In the beginning, I had this odd idea that the Vulcans might be Romulans in disguise. They seemed much less in control of their emotions and flaws than in previous versions. Thought there was perhaps some sort of time travel conspiracy to nip the Federation in the bud and maybe T'Pol was a planted saboteur. Glad I was wrong!

That theme song. I get it, I do, but guitar ballads and vocals aren't Trek to me. Archer's theme was great (sans wailing guitars). I freely admit to muting the opening every single time I watch. Do I hum Archer's theme softly to myself instead? No comment.

I skip the final episode. No spoilers. If you've seen it, you can imagine why.

Lastly, I know I make it sound like all of this is a big dramatic deal to me. It's not really. But it is fun to talk about and as it is somewhat solitary at Casa Knight these days, I appreciate your company and indulgence. Cheers, everybody!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Nice to see some Klingons, along with a D7 class battlecruiser.
                    Carol Kane was entertaining.
                    But I hope this episode's overall tone isn't representative of the whole season.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

A more-than-solid start for me despite the overall absence of a certain main character. Still it was a fun, done-in-one Trek with some subplots that are intriuging.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 22, 2015

I just watched episode two and thought it was great.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

i just watched episode 2 as well and thought it was well done. a great throwback to TOS episode Court Martial

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Episode 2 was literally what Star Trek is all about. Excellent, and very moving.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              Episode 2 was literally what Star Trek is all about. Excellent, and very moving.
                              I am admittedly a casual viewer of Trek and not as invested as most folks who have opinions on the show. From my limited perspective, I felt the same exact thing in regards to the episode being right at the heart of what Star Trek is all about. I plan on watching it again this weekend.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                                HULK SMASH!
                                • Apr 3, 2010

Star Trek's long standing tradition of having court room/tribunal episodes continues.

Edit: I hope we get some episodes that actually feature Captain Pike at some point.
                                Sure, his space harem is cool and all, but it would be nice to see the male lead get some screen time.
                                Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jun 26, '23, 8:01 PM.
                                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎