X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

McFarlane Batman '66 Line

As a collector, I have gone through many phases. Specifically with toys, there was the Own Them All from a line phase. In addition, I was once a buy one to open, and one to keep MOC person too. On clearance? I know I have three of these, but let me add another for 60% off just because... (hoarder syndrome?) The list can go on. Thankfully, I am beyond some of those crazy phases and have sold a lot of stuff as a result (even though I still have way too much and find myself buying too much again lately). But the one thing that I haven't been able to shake? Building. Whether it's groups, teams, etc., I just love being able to build out and build upon groups. The McFarlane Batman '66 line (EDIT; It's still "The Batman Classic TV Series", but it was changed to "Batman '66 on the Two-Face card, pesumably because he was not on the show) is checking this box for me. I was hesitant to buy these because I like my Mattel versions from this property and wish it went longer and into more depth. But McFarlane is just hitting on all cylinders with characters, vehicles and playsets, even variants, most of which I have skipped. I just got the latest stuff from Target and I really like the Batboat. And Two-Face and King Tut look great added to the line-up.

McFarlane Batman 66-1.jpg

Batman's head looks weird because the Mattel Alfred is directly behind him; bad picture!

We got a great Batmobile from Mattel, which is better than McFarlane's, but I never thought I'd see a Batboat for this scale. Or this many vehicles and playsets for a modern toy line again. And the best part?

I get to keep adding and building the Batman '66 Group Photo!
    Last edited by TRDouble; Apr 18, '23, 9:02 AM.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I'm really starting to regret not going all in on this line sooner. The prices for the first releases have already gotten pretty steep. I could pick up the Lunch Box set, but I'm not crazy about the whited-out eyes on Batman and Robin. Either way, I need that Batboat!
    sigpic

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

I would not be surprised to see McFarlane Toys do a re-release with e-tailers now that the Target exclusivity seems to be ending. Many sites have the new items -- Two-Face, King Tut, etc. -- for Pre-order, while also having some older items, like The Penguin, unmasked Batman, and even The Batmobile. A slight tweak of the cards or the paint apps (darker colors for Batman, pinstripes for The Joker) should keep those that had the first versions satisfied and pull in both new sales and repeat customer sales.

Oh, and if anyone gets the Batboat, the red striping for the boat are taped directly behind the boat on the box. You have to apply them yourself. People have been tossing the packaging without realizing that.

Comment

• hizzy
        Museum Super Collector
        • Apr 1, 2023

This is one line I don't collect because I need more space. It's beautiful, though. That bat boat, the playsets. It's great!

Comment

• Count_Popula
          Museum Super Collector
          • Aug 28, 2018

I am delighted with this line. Initially I, too, was skeptical, because I also enjoyed the Mattel line. But these are so great, and I get a thrill out of finding them in the wild at Target! Not only that, but the Target collector's corner has artwork of Batman and the Batmobile from this line above their shelves - a very visible presence for products related to an almost 60 year old tv show!

I just this week got the lunchbox with variant color figures. I love it. Seeing the Adam West Batman in black rather than blue, and with white eyes, is awesome.

I hope the line has some life left in it. My top wants, though I understand they may not be possible for legal reasons, would be:

False-Face
          John Astin Riddler
          Michael Rennie as Sandman

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Congratulations on a very cool looking set.

The only negative thing about it was, Penguin’s missing umbrella and Mr. Freeze freeze gun,
            although King Tut really came out nicely.

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

I got today from Target King Tut, Pink Cowl Batman and Bill Shatner Two Face and The Batboat.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

The Batboat looks really nice.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Sabin
                  • Feb 7, 2022

My Target no longer carries the Batman '66 figures in the Toy aisles. Now, they are in what seems to be a small Collector's section on a back wall near the electronics department. Very disorganized with a lot of stuff all over the place. Saw the new figures there last week, but not the Batboat.

Does the Batboat scale well with Super Powers figures, or is it too big for them?

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

I cannot comment on the Batboat's scale, but these were always in the Collector's Corner at my local Targets. Which is indeed usually a mess!

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                      Radioactive!
                      • Feb 13, 2010

I've never seen these anywhere else but the collectors corner. Just eyeballing it, I think the Batboat may be slightly big for Super Powers though in range.

Comment

• Sabin
                        • Feb 7, 2022

Thank you!

I'm positive that just a few months ago, my Target had the '66 figures (along with the NECA TMNT 2-packs and more) in the Toy aisles. And i didn't even realize they had a collector's section until recently. Maybe it's new for them.

Comment

• Count_Popula
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Aug 28, 2018

Where the figure are stocked varies from Target to Target. I've bought several of them from the collector's corner of my local Target in Houston. And as I mentioned, the line was even promoted with advertising art above the collector's corner. However, I'm currently in IL, and I found none in the collector's corner, but a few in the regular superhero toy aisle. I picked up King Tut, but no sign of Two-Face.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 27, 2010

E-tailers like BBST and EE now carry the line. Wave 7 will include Batman with Batzooka Robin with scuba or gas masks and Batgirl! ( It would be great if Todd would do the Batgirl cycle.)

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

It's hard to tell from the leaked pictures, but Batman's blue may be a shade darker and closer to the source material. Batgirl is also branded Batman '66 (like Two-Face was) instead of Batman TV Series, so it's not Yvonne Craig (but it might as well be).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎