X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

Renfeld

this comes out Friday and looks like a fun movie and nic cage looks over the top. And I want a Mego Nic Cage Dracula figure lol.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I'm really looking forward to this. The ads with recreated scenes from the 1931 film were a nice surprise!
    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I hope the movie is good and people enjoy it. It's just not for me. Cage's Dracula is too crass and gross for me since he is supposed to be the Bela Dracula from the 1931 movie.
      Last edited by Werewolf; Apr 11, '23, 7:23 PM.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

I posted photos from this last year and I’m excited about it. I felt that they did a great job lining up the look of Bela Lugosi with Nic Cage.

Comment

• Liu Bei
          Banned
          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Werewolf
          I hope the movie is good and people enjoy it. It's just not for me. Cage's Dracula is too crass and gross for me since he is supposed to be the Bela Dracula from the 1931 movie.
          Saw the trailer for this when my wife and I went to see John Wick 4. Looks absolutely terrible. It’s amazing how desensitized consumers are to complete garbage now.

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
            I have a very small window for Cage, and it only includes a snakeskin jacket.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

It was entertaining.

It wasn't great and it wasn't horrible, but, after a little bit of a slow start, it was enjoyable. If you've already had a visceral reaction to the trailer, don't go. It's not good enough to overcome an already established hatred. If you found the trailer potentially funny, check this out. It's worth seeing.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I enjoyed it. It's fairly clever, and Hoult and Awkafina are very likeable in their roles. Cage is at his eccentric, over-the-top best, and is good at evoking Lugosi without apeing him in anyway, adding his own level of dementia to the character. But it works, because Dracula has endured several decades since we last saw him, and it seems to have taken its toll. The movie follows it's own rules pretty well, even if it ignores some typical vampire mythos, and makes up it's own. I'd definitely watch it again, and perhaps a sequel if the story was good.

Interstingly, my theater showed a trailer for The Last Voyage of the Demeter, which is a straight Dracula story set on the ship he sailed to England on in the original novel. For a brief second, I thought it was a part of this movie! Also from Universal!
                sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Looks like Renfield didn't do very well at the box office, coming in 4th place, behind The Pope's Excorcist and John Wick 4, which has been out for a bit. I figured it would do well as counter-programing to the Super Mario Bros. movie, but I guess not.

I doubt we'll see a sequel, or anything that ties back to the classic Univesal films this closely. Sigh.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Liu Bei
                    Banned
                    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    Looks like Renfield didn't do very well at the box office, coming in 4th place, behind The Pope's Excorcist and John Wick 4, which has been out for a bit. I figured it would do well as counter-programing to the Super Mario Bros. movie, but I guess not.

I doubt we'll see a sequel, or anything that ties back to the classic Univesal films this closely. Sigh.
                    That’s too bad. It looked like a real winner.

Universal could make successful monster movies again very easily if they wanted to. Take the source material seriously and respect the fans.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                      Creature Of The Night
                      • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Interstingly, my theater showed a trailer for The Last Voyage of the Demeter, which is a straight Dracula story set on the ship he sailed to England on in the original novel. For a brief second, I thought it was a part of this movie! Also from Universal!
                      We went to see The Pope's Exorcist & Renfield back to back in one of our occasional double-feature indulgences. Two completely different vibes, but both kept us entertained.

The trailer for The Last Voyage of the Demeter which was shown before Renfield was definitely a highlight of our day, really looking forward it!
                      Last edited by Dark Shadow; Apr 23, '23, 1:54 PM. Reason: Created a new thread for the trailer of The Last Voyage of the Demeter

Comment

• publiusr
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Aug 23, 2015

Lee was my Dracula but he never got enough lines.

Though many hate deep fake…it gives us an ability to make up for past mistakes.

Christopher Lee is pursued by Vincent Price’s Witchfinder from Conqueror Worm…both die in the fire/collapse of a fallen church.

Centuries pass.

Mina Harker’s father is played by Peter Cushing here.
                        She has fallen under the sway of Lord Byron.

They find Lee’s skeleton and perform the ritual to revive the vampire as seen in A.D. 1972
                        Byron runs away…and Mina is captivated by Lee.

Cushing calls in Helsing…played by Jack Palance as an antagonist…who fails.
                        Who trained him?

Lee spots a hellfire and brimstone preacher…it is Price! Accidentally raised by the same incantation.

Lee overcomes his enemies at last…and has the lines that made Langella a leading man.

Exorcist seems interesting.

Ellen’s character was a successful actress right?

Maybe her daughter wasn’t selected at random. Like Susan Smith who cried a bit too much when her children went missing…when most would have been in shock or edgy.

Ellen’s hair is all Exorcist III.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

We went to see The Pope's Exorcist & Renfield back to back in one of our occasional double-feature indulgences. Two completely different vibes, but both kept us entertained.
                          The Pope's Exorcist actually wasn't too bad. Along with all the expected demonic possession tropes, I liked how it also threw in a few other elements which almost wouldn't have been out of place in an Indy or Tomb Raider movie.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                            The Pope's Exorcist actually wasn't too bad. Along with all the expected demonic possession tropes, I liked how it also threw in a few other elements which almost wouldn't have been out of place in an Indy or Tomb Raider movie.
                            We liked it. I'd say it's probably the best exorcist based movie since The Exorcist. The mystery and journey to solving that mystery was what made this one stand out for us.

I'm interested in reading at least one of Amorth's books, I hear they're good

I'm sure there will be a sequel (1 Down, 199 to go!)

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎