X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Selling Superman

This is a news clip, covering a family's story to be featured in an upcoming documentary, "Selling Superman".

I'm not sure how I feel about the news reporter framing collecting as something to be ashamed of, but I guess it's related to the fact that the father was so secretive about it, and wouldn't communicate with his family about how he was spending their money, or care about how it was taking over their living space.

As we've reported on before, the upcoming "Selling Superman" documentary is set to tell the story of Dale Watts, an attorney living Metro Detroit, whose obsessive collecting became such a problem for his family that it destroyed his marriage... but now, years after his death, that obsession has become a very lucrative legacy left behind

sigpic
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Well that is sure interesting...

I hadn't read about this before. Below is the link talking about the documentary.

Seems impossible that the family didn't know what he was collecting, and his son said he had never seen any of this before...

https://www.sellingsuperman.com/
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

Geeze. The story that seems to be there.....seems like a lot to unpack, so to speak. Obviously, a lot of heartache and damage but it looks like the son is wanting to turn all of that pain into something positive. And to his credit, at least in my opinion, he's not liquidating without thought and using the cash for a salve, though who would blame him if he did. He seems a lot more thoughtful than that about all of this.

And then there's that collection....wowza.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

so that amazing collection, and all i can think is, how did they get those cargo containers into the house?

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

Whenever I see something like this, I always start thinking it's probably time to start paring down the collection of stuff. I would guess don't really want half of the crap I have, which of course is mostly the half that has little value, so there's no immediate impetus to sell it off. Then I just order some more new Megos and the notion to get rid of stuff fades away for a while.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎