Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Greater Adirondack Toy and Comic Show- Sunday, April 30th, 2023 in Lake George NY

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheXFactor
    Museum Patron
    • Oct 31, 2013

The Greater Adirondack Toy and Comic Show- Sunday, April 30th, 2023 in Lake George NY

If anyone is planning on attending- especially those of you in the local area- please let me know as I'll be there selling. In particular, G.I. Joe fans will be interested to know that former Hasbro employee John Sahler will be setting up at the show to display (although not sell) some of the rarities from his collection. Also, voice actor Lisa Raggio (Zarana, from the ARAH animated series) will be making her first convention appearance ever.

More info:

The Greater Adirondack Toy and Comic Show, Lake George, New York. 118 likes. Welcome to the home of The Greater Adirondack Toy and Comic Show!
  • TheXFactor
    Museum Patron
    • Oct 31, 2013

Just a quick reminder to everyone that the show is this coming Sunday April 30th from 10AM-4PM. I'll likely be the only vendor there (with the name Chris on my name tag) selling a Mego Emerald City playset that includes all seven figures, a POTA Cornelius/Galen green-eared variant, and a bunch of vintage T-shirts displayed on an actual vintage T-shirt rack. Plus lots of other stuff as well, but I'm presuming any members from here will likely spot the Mego items first.

Comment

• TheXFactor
      Museum Patron
      • Oct 31, 2013

OK, so when I hover the cursor over "Edit Post" it says Edit/Delete, but when I click on it there's no actual "Delete" button. What am I missing?

Comment

• TheXFactor
        Museum Patron
        • Oct 31, 2013

According to the e-mail I get every 12 months on my birthday, there are four people running this site (Brian, Robyn, Steve, and Joe), so if one of you would kindly delete this entire thread (which the website won't let me do for some reason even though the option is still there for much older threads that I've started) I'd very much appreciate it. I had a terrible experience at the show, and really don't want to be reminded of it every time I log in here.

While I'm thinking of it, this could go too (http://megomuseum.com/community/show...02#post1497702) please.

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by TheXFactor
          According to the e-mail I get every 12 months on my birthday, there are four people running this site (Brian, Robyn, Steve, and Joe), so if one of you would kindly delete this entire thread (which the website won't let me do for some reason even though the option is still there for much older threads that I've started) I'd very much appreciate it. I had a terrible experience at the show, and really don't want to be reminded of it every time I log in here.

While I'm thinking of it, this could go too (http://megomuseum.com/community/show...02#post1497702) please.
          I'd try contacting one (or all) of them directly and asking them to delete it in case they don't read the thread and your request?

Comment

• TheXFactor
            Museum Patron
            • Oct 31, 2013

I sent one direct request and never heard back, and- in the past- when trying to send in either updated info or corrections for the website the same thing happened. I was also under the impression that all posts were either monitored or quickly reviewed, but that doesn't seem to be the case. At any rate, I took your advice and sent a message via the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom (lower right) of the Forum page so we'll see what happens. Thanks!

Comment

• mego maniac mark
              Career Member
              • Aug 3, 2010

May I ask what happened at the show?
              mego's befo ho's

Comment

• TheXFactor
                Museum Patron
                • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by mego maniac mark
                May I ask what happened at the show?
                Well, I'm often reminded to talk toys and not other people so it's probably wise to skip the numerous attendee/social observations made as it would turn into a very negative, long winded (albeit entertaining) rant. I will say that I did absolutely horrible in terms of sales. Not that I'm owed anything just because people show up of course, but there was something on my table for everyone- literally ranging from the 1960s to the 2010s- so choices/options were definitely not the problem. I have a store up on Discogs.com, and buyers there will drop $50- without hesitation- for an OOP version of a rare/limited edition single CD that was previously owned/used. Conversely, tell someone at one of these shows that a brand new DVD costs a measly $5 and they look at you like you literally just asked them for their firstborn. I had hopes that- in semi-retirement- selling at shows like this would be a viable option going forward, and as such I put in a significant amount of prep time for this particular one (again, fully aware that I'm not owed anything). Based on what happened that day- as well as numerous conversations I had with other vendors- it's becoming apparent that shows of this nature are something that the "plebes" just go to because they literally have nothing else going on in their life. These are the same kinds of people who take their whole family to a museum and can't even be bothered to drop a $1 bill in the donation box because "Muh taxes already pay for this". In a way it's very depressing, because half the fun of selling at shows like this was meeting & talking to like-minded collectors who came to your table and- you know- actually bought things that you both had a mutual interest in. You made a sale, and you made a friend. I have a feeling that all the serious collectors are buying exclusively online now, which means that the law of diminishing returns will eventually see vendors completely drop out of selling at these types of smaller shows. Which in turn means that said shows- and the aforementioned experience of meeting like minded collectors/friends- will disappear. Come to think of it, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a single vintage Mego anything at one of the smaller/local shows I've attended. Yes there's always going to be larger shows to go to, but selling at those is a whole other thing in terms of inventory, cost, approach, display, and so forth.

Anyway, that was much longer than I intended it to be, but there you go.
                Last edited by TheXFactor; May 13, '23, 4:37 AM.

Comment

• Action Martin
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 30, 2007

It's a pretty simple process. Click edit post The next screen is your editable post. Under the editable post on the left side of the screen it says "Reason for editing" and on the right side there are blue boxes labelled as "save", "go advanced", "delete", and "cancel". Click "delete". The subject line still remains seen in the forum but the posts are gone and can no longer be read.
                  Scott

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by TheXFactor
                    Well, I'm often reminded to talk toys and not other people so it's probably wise to skip the numerous attendee/social observations made as it would turn into a very negative, long winded (albeit entertaining) rant.
                    Yeah, I heard about Mikey showing up, wearing nothing but a Foghat T-shirt and a smile. Sorry you had to deal with that. Not having sales is one thing, but my God...
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

You’ll probably have better luck selling and better luck with some good people at a future mego meet.

Comment

• TheXFactor
                        Museum Patron
                        • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by Action Martin
                        It's a pretty simple process. Click edit post The next screen is your editable post. Under the editable post on the left side of the screen it says "Reason for editing" and on the right side there are blue boxes labelled as "save", "go advanced", "delete", and "cancel". Click "delete". The subject line still remains seen in the forum but the posts are gone and can no longer be read.
                        I've done that in the past and in the exact manner as you described. However- for whatever reason- neither of the two posts (one being this thread, and one a response to another post) show the blue "delete" box. That being said, after writing out that (somewhat) long explanation I'm kind of inclined to just leave the thread there. Maybe it helped getting it out of my system, or maybe the edges (so to speak) have dulled after a few weeks.

Comment

• TheXFactor
                          Museum Patron
                          • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by J.B.
                          Yeah, I heard about Mikey showing up, wearing nothing but a Foghat T-shirt and a smile.
                          See, now even that can be fun if you have two like-minded individuals. "Hey! That's the logo they used for Foghat Live!! Did you hear that Rhino Records is **finally** going to release a deluxe edition of the album containing the entire show instead of just the six songs that were on the original?"

Originally posted by J.B.
                          Sorry you had to deal with that. Not having sales is one thing, but my God...
                          I appreciate that. You should have seen the look on the face of the guy who asked about the 1987 Joker T-shirt (by Graphitti Designs) after he found out that he wasn't going to get it for 5 bucks. Which apparently is "too much" for a 2 DVD Box Set as well...
                          Last edited by TheXFactor; Jul 7, '23, 3:19 AM.

Comment

• TheXFactor
                            Museum Patron
                            • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by TrekStar
                            You’ll probably have better luck selling and better luck with some good people at a future mego meet.
                            Yeah, I really need to get to one of those as I haven't been to a Mego-specific gathering since MegoCon in 2004. In the past distance has often prevented me from attending for one reason or another, but this one is roughly a nine hour drive (according to Google maps) and almost completely on Interstate roads. So that helps. As far as selling at one goes, I'd have to adjust my inventory somewhat since- at the moment- I really only have two Mego items for sale (although one is a playset/figures lot being sold together). Three if you count the boxed Isis that I want to trade for a boxed Bionic Bigfoot.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎