X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingKickass1983
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2019

Chest armor...

I have an idea for a custom figure that wears chest armor..

thinking Roman gladiator or centurion armor... how should I go about doing that? can anyone recommend a source for 8 inch scale armor.. or should I pad the inside of the shirt/body suit?
    Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

You can probably find this cheaper... but you need to track down one of these sets:

Fits Mego nicely.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

^Good to know, some really useful stuff there.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
        Career Member
        • Jan 19, 2019

I wonder... if I were to put a shirt onto a muscular chest (let's say a jakks wwe figure) and spray it with a stiffener...would the shirt hold the shape when dried?
        Wanted:

Comment

• KingKickass1983
          Career Member
          • Jan 19, 2019

It only kind of worked... but not for what I need...

I might just cut the chest off an old figure and hollow it out to make the chest armor plating.
          Wanted:

Comment

• KnightDetective
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 31, 2012

Way back when, I brushed thin layers of plain ol' white Elmer's glue onto the chest of a figure with good musculature. When dry, it popped right off, retaining its shape. Trimmed it to fit the custom figure I was working on. Painted and sealed it. Was more or less like plastic. Looked surprisingly good!

I don't recall using a release agent or anything, but if you try this, practice on something first!

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
              Museum Patron
              • Aug 23, 2019

You could use cling wrap as a release agent. Tightly wrap your torso and then apply the glue or moge podge. If you want a smoother surface, I was going to suggest, a thermoplastic sheet. I think a thin one is available that a hot hair dryer would work or really hot water.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I was going to suggest thermoplastic as well--JoAnn's sells it for cosplay.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 19, 2019

These are all great suggestions! I'm considering gluing foam muscle padding to the body suit too..maybe padding out the shoulders as well.
                  Wanted:

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎