Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023 Movie)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (2023 Movie)

From permanent teenager Seth Rogen, a new generation of heroes will rise...from the sewers. Watch the new teaser trailer for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem - Only in cinemas this summer.
    I kinda like this artwork and want to see more of it.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

not crazy about the animation style

Comment

• KingKickass1983
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2019

Looks fun.
      Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

This morning boyfriend & I saw TMNT and once you get used to the animation, the movie was pretty good. After awhile of watching the show you eyes get used to this style of anima.
        tmnt 2.jpgtmnt 1.jpg

Now I have read TMNT since back in the B&W days where you got lucky and found a copy at a bookstore. So April being a black reporter is based on that. I LOVED that Jackie Chan voiced Splinter and the TMNT were voiced by teenage boys. Seth Rogan did goo with this film.

For those you read the Archie Comics TMNT you can see the spin-off coming:
        TMNT Mighty Mutanimals 1991.jpgTMNT Mighty Mutanimals.jpg

Made me go and check my comic book back issues to make sure I didn't sell both series.
        Last edited by monitor_ep; Aug 2, '23, 9:26 PM.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

As a fan of the Archie series, I was really pleased with this film.

The 1990 film is based on the OG comic...the less said about the two sequels the better.

The Bay Films were odes to the 80s toon...misguided as they were, the inspiration was clear.

I never thought I'd see the day the Archie series got its due. NECA is giving us figures, and Mutant Mayhem is pretty much the Mutant Universe writ Large.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• KnightDetective
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 31, 2012

Thanks for the pics of the swag, 'Ep!

I haven't been to a theater since Indy and the Crystal Skull. (The last local theater shut down after that. Make of it what you will. *grin*) Is that a digital movie poster in the pics above? Fancy.

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Saw this today. I understand the argument of "you're not the audience for this" or whatever people say when someone over 12 reviews a movie like this. I actually think this was very likely written for me as an audience.

The animation style is weird, where it's basically claymation (I know it's not actually but looks and moves a lot like it) with some scribbled drawing on it. It's unique, I'll give it that. It has a distinct look and feel which could be seen as a positive. It certainly isn't my favorite style or anything, but I would agree that after a few minutes you get used to it.

Had Michael Bay not made two absolutely irredeemable chunks of garbage as TMNT movies, this one would be the worst, but that's not a slam. Just the reality. This movie is fine and I love the TMNT which was my big takeaway from this. I can stomach a lot of incarnations.

This hit a lot of the notes, but it definitely felt like a Seth Rogan movie. In that I mean, everything was pretty paper thin. While he got some of the teenage character traits right... The characters themselves are all pretty much the same. Everyone's goofy. Everyone's zany. Everything is a punchline. Yes there are some little bits, like they refer to Leo as the leader (but never explain why) but he barely has any leadership traits. And Raph is marginally more "angry" than the other turtles, but again, that's mostly just spoken exposition and not really something that comes through in the script. Basically all 4 TMNT are just one character. They spend most the film acting largely the same and often everything is done as a unit so it's hard to even create a situation where one would stand out. They're definitely TEENS which is what Rogan wanted to emphasize, but he kinda forgot to develop any individuality. Donatello wears glasses but never does anything particularly brainy or whatever. Mikey is just there. They all feel very similar and not even in the Fred Wolf way.

None of the villains have ANY character development either Superfly is amusing at times but his motivation is pretty weak and the other characters are just one liners.

I didn't get any Archie vibes at all. Archie was pretty much all about character development. There's no development here.

Again Rogan has kinda degenerated the whole thing into gags. Even their origins. Nothing is played straight. This characterization of Splinter is fun to laugh at but it's a pretty brutal destruction of the character in general. April doesn't really feel like April but she's a fun character.

Anyway, complaints aside. It's a fine little movie. There is some "heart" at points and there's a message about fitting in (though I think it goes a little off the rails) and there's a couple of funny one liners in there that do feel a bit like TMNT "he's molly whopping me" that I could appreciate as a TMNT fan. It has absolutely no attempt to create a universe or build to any future stories so I can appreciate this as a one and done kind of thing. As I recall Nick pumped this out while they were working on a big budget live action film and possibly a new toon (though with writer's strikes and such this may be the only TMNT production for a while and may kill previous plans) and there is something nice about this simply being an interpretation of Turtles and not what we're being told is the new TMNT.

Kids will probably enjoy it, but again it's written with a lot of adult scenarios and doesn't really attempt to play to a kid's audience.

It's a fine watch though and you won't leave with a bad taste in your mouth.
              Last edited by ODBJBG; Aug 9, '23, 2:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎