Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any idea how Mego will do rooted hair on solid heads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Any idea how Mego will do rooted hair on solid heads?

If the female heads are made like the solid male heads, how is Mego going to do rooted hair on the ladies? Any ideas?
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

In the doll customizing world, they use a frame piece that is kind of like a beanie, only it has a grid for them to latch the hair onto. Then once the hair is attached to create the wig, they glue the beanie onto the head.

There was even a recent line of dolls-- I don't remember which-- where there was like a "plug" on the head so you could swap out the hair. So in theory they could have the wig connect onto the solid head instead of gluing it down.

However, my guess is they will just continue to use rotocast heads for the Super Gals.

Comment

• ToyBob
      Museum Patron
      • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by sprytel
      In the doll customizing world, they use a frame piece that is kind of like a beanie, only it has a grid for them to latch the hair onto. Then once the hair is attached to create the wig, they glue the beanie onto the head.

There was even a recent line of dolls-- I don't remember which-- where there was like a "plug" on the head so you could swap out the hair. So in theory they could have the wig connect onto the solid head instead of gluing it down.

However, my guess is they will just continue to use rotocast heads for the Super Gals.
      Not sure if you mean this one but Spin Master Liv dolls have a wig interlock system like a beanie with a peg that plugs into the top of the head.
      https://discontinuedtoylines.wordpre...016/12/03/liv/
      Nice hair for a module based approach, collected some used and it's basically like a hat in terms of getting lost though lol. Is there talk about a change to that standard, it could certainly fall in line with Mego's tradition of interchangeable parts using mini-wigs?
      I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• ODBJBG
        Permanent Member
        • May 15, 2009

I would hope they just stop using it altogether.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by ToyBob
          Not sure if you mean this one but Spin Master Liv dolls have a wig interlock system like a beanie with a peg that plugs into the top of the head.
          https://discontinuedtoylines.wordpre...016/12/03/liv/
          Nice hair for a module based approach, collected some used and it's basically like a hat in terms of getting lost though lol. Is there talk about a change to that standard, it could certainly fall in line with Mego's tradition of interchangeable parts using mini-wigs?
          Yes, that is a good example. Snapstar dolls had something similar too.

SNAPSTAR dolls, an immersive world of fashion, beauty, music, photography, and design where there are a trendsetting squad of six social influencers.

I'm not saying Mego will do this... just that it would be an approach to use non-molded hair with a hard plastic head.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by ODBJBG
            I would hope they just stop using it altogether.
            I would not be surprised if they did that for new characters. But I expect that the 50th anniversary Super Gals will have rooted hair like the originals.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

But I expect that the 50th anniversary Super Gals will have rooted hair like the originals.
              I think that's a fair expectation.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ToyBob
                Museum Patron
                • Feb 21, 2022

Yes, that is a good example. Snapstar dolls had something similar too.

SNAPSTAR dolls, an immersive world of fashion, beauty, music, photography, and design where there are a trendsetting squad of six social influencers.

I'm not saying Mego will do this... just that it would be an approach to use non-molded hair with a hard plastic head.
                Oh funny, just came across a listing with one of those, does remind me of Liv dolls.

I do like my new 12" Poison Ivy and the hair is quite nice, look forward to the new 8" Mego female body when they roll that out. That's the thing about hard versus soft hair, when it gets long you got to use something soft, seen too many other lines that don't and you just get a head that can't turn lol.
                I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎