X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warmaxwell
    • Jan 11, 2023

Brainless "Spock's Brain"

Hi folks!
    This is my first time posting on this forum. I recently decided to display some of the Star Trek Original Series (TOS) collectibles that I've accumulated since the early 1970s. In the process, I dug out my Mego Star Trek USS Enterprise playset and figures, and rediscovered my love of 8-inch Megos. I built some custom display cases to show off the figures and fell down the eBay rabbit hole of perusing new figures and accessories. One particular 3D-printed accessory caught my eye, the remote-control headset Spock wears during the episode "Spock's Brain". While a pretty silly episode and not one of my favorites, I kept coming back to that item and eventually pulled the trigger on it. But since I cannot sew, I needed to find the right jumpsuit to complete his look. Once I ran across a Conquest of the Planet of the Apes suit in the right color and without a wide collar, I launched into completing the look. It's not a very difficult or elaborate custom, but I think it's a decent re-creation.

If anyone is interested in where I sourced the materials, let me know and I'll add the details to this post.

Thanks, and please be kind!

Last edited by warmaxwell; Mar 6, '23, 1:23 PM.
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

First, welcome to the Museum!

Second, your Spock looks great! Great eye on that jumpsuit... it really works nicely.

I love the pic of Spock and McCoy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I'm not a fan of this episode, but I'm a fan of your custom.

It's really nice. Welcome!
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• warmaxwell
        • Jan 11, 2023

Originally posted by sprytel
        First, welcome to the Museum!

Second, your Spock looks great! Great eye on that jumpsuit... it really works nicely.

I love the pic of Spock and McCoy.
        Thank you! Yes, it pained me a little to remove the pockets from the jumpsuit because they were so nicely sewn on. But the result was worth it to me.

I have a bit of a mashup of three episodes and dueling Spocks going on in my display case, but it makes me smile.
        Last edited by warmaxwell; Mar 6, '23, 1:27 PM.

Comment

• warmaxwell
          • Jan 11, 2023

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I'm not a fan of this episode, but I'm a fan of your custom.

It's really nice. Welcome!
          Thanks very much! Yeah, it might be the worst episode of all three seasons of TOS. Although the interplay between Spock and McCoy is pretty entertaining.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Welcome aboard the museum! I think your Spock’s Brain custom looks pretty spot on especially in that first pic.

If you wanted to get it a little better, you could carefully remove the collar on the POTA jumpsuit.

sometimes I try to be a perfectionist but that’s just me, it looks good with the collar too, great job and hope to see a few more in the future.

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

Brainless "Spock's Brain"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35258[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35257[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35262[/ATTACH]
              I really like how you created the figure, it turned out great.
              Attached Files
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

Nice kit bash.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 27, 2007

The custom is better than the episode. Nicely done.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Love the custom, wish it would get an official release. I think it would really sell because it's so infamous.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• warmaxwell
                      • Jan 11, 2023

Originally posted by TrekStar
                      Welcome aboard the museum! I think your Spock’s Brain custom looks pretty spot on especially in that first pic.

If you wanted to get it a little better, you could carefully remove the collar on the POTA jumpsuit.

sometimes I try to be a perfectionist but that’s just me, it looks good with the collar too, great job and hope to see a few more in the future.
                      Thank you! Yeah, you're right - without the collar it would look more accurate. I'll take another look at the collar and see how doable it is to remove. Those stitches are tiny and my eyesight sucks.
                      Last edited by warmaxwell; Mar 6, '23, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
                        Museum Patron
                        • Aug 23, 2019

Not sure how bulky it would be, what about tucking it in? Thinking of doing this to make some colonist figures, by removing collars and tucking up sleeves and cuffs. Where did you find the black Dickie?

Love this custom, considered it for an extra Spock.

Comment

• warmaxwell
                          • Jan 11, 2023

Originally posted by Tiberiusguy
                          Not sure how bulky it would be, what about tucking it in? Thinking of doing this to make some colonist figures, by removing collars and tucking up sleeves and cuffs. Where did you find the black Dickie?

Love this custom, considered it for an extra Spock.
                          Thanks man. Great minds think alike - I thought about simply folding over the collar last night.
                          It should work - I'll just need to tack it down with super glue. I'll post an update in a day or so.

The dickie was made by sacrificing a 12" GI Joe shirt.

Comment

• warmaxwell
                            • Jan 11, 2023

Thanks for all the positive comments, folks - much appreciated.
                            Last edited by warmaxwell; Mar 7, '23, 3:11 PM.

Comment

• warmaxwell
                              • Jan 11, 2023

Originally posted by palitoy
                              Love the custom, wish it would get an official release. I think it would really sell because it's so infamous.
                              Thanks. Yeah, it could be fun variant for Mego. Although personally I'd like to see Kirk and Spock in their gangster outfits from "A Piece of the Action." Playmates made those figures in their 9" line in the late 90s but I'd like Mego to tackle them. I considered making them as another custom, too. ClassicTVToys offers pretty much all the clothing required. The challenge is finding Thompson submachine guns with drum magazines in 1:9 scale.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎