X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Funko Pop and I Finally Agree on Their Toys

The company behind Funko Pop! collectibles, vastly over-estimated demand and is dumping $30 million worth of figurines in a landfill, Kotaku reports.

Ok I'm being snarky. But

I hate Funko Pops
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

I saw that the other day as well and agree.... People can collect whatever they want of course.

A few days before that, this was found as well. A bunch of pallets of Magic the Gathering cards.

https://www.pcgamer.com/somebody-tos...in-a-landfill/
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

There's no rhyme or reason to this, though. A few years ago--and Dwayne posted on it here--Monarch Models destroyed a bunch of their retro kits. But new companies have continued to reissue these classic models, Phantom of the Opera etc.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 4, '23, 12:48 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

I always wonder about decisions like this. Why not sell them off to liquidators? Donate them to thrift stores? Give a bonus "mystery item" with every order?

If I had to guess, it is because seeing Funko Pops selling for 50 cents at Goodwill hurts the impression that these are valuable collectibles. But I have to think that all of this coverage of them going to a landfill does even more damage. Plus, it just seems so incredibly wasteful.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
          I always wonder about decisions like this. Why not sell them off to liquidators? Donate them to thrift stores? Give a bonus "mystery item" with every order?
          It's a crappy thing to do on a lot of levels.

If I had to guess, it is because seeing Funko Pops selling for 50 cents at Goodwill hurts the impression that these are valuable collectibles.
          Not surprised to see this happen. Funko Pops are artificially valuable.

I liked Funko better in their Wacky Wobbler days before they became this overly greedy corporate behemoth pushing this false notion of investing in their nerd Hummels instead of just having fun and collecting toys. Their manipulative business practices of chase figures and artificially limiting certain popular figures purposely feeds the speculator mindset. People really need to stop thinking of toys as just another investment in their portfolio.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

The problem with Pops is they became a “chase” thing which meant it was never going to last.

Comment

• publiusr
              Museum Super Collector
              • Aug 23, 2015

Such a spiteful thing to do.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

They are the Beanie Babies of now.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Dannyc
                  • Feb 6, 2023

Originally posted by sprytel

If I had to guess, it is because seeing Funko Pops selling for 50 cents at Goodwill hurts the impression that these are valuable collectibles. But I have to think that all of this coverage of them going to a landfill does even more damage. Plus, it just seems so incredibly wasteful.
                  I've heard it surmised that the reason they cant simply give them away and/or donate them might have to do with the terms of some of their licenses.
                  I've often joked that our post-apocalyptic, grim dark landscapes are going to be littered with Funko Pops. I guess this is a step towards that..

Comment

• msenger76
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 3, 2009

you telling me they couldn't call the marines and say "we need to make $30mil worth of toys disappear. Do you know any toy charity drives that would accept them?" because i'm sure toys4tots would take them all

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Why can't they donate them? Is it some tax write-off thing that says they have to destroy them?

My LCS has deeply invested in Funko Pops. They have a lot of other great merch, but I hope this downturn doesn't hurt them too badly.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Dannyc
                        • Feb 6, 2023

Actually, now that i think about it, maybe it's no different than magazine stands having to rip off the covers from magazines and comics.

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

I think it's a way to keep the value up on these things. If they "dumped" a lot in the market, the Funko Pop "stock market" would take a hit, lol.
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

These damned things have proliferated like tribbles. They're everywhere. A culling is long overdue.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Mar 9, '23, 9:10 AM.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎