X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreddbatfan
    Museum Super Collector
    • Oct 3, 2008

Material for Mego capes and gloves(oven mitts) question

I was wondering what materials are used to make the Mego capes & gloves?Are the materials that are used the same or different? Are the gloves made out of vinyl & the capes out of something else or are they made out of the same material? Thanks for your help and I hope to hear everyone's thoughts.
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

The gloves are all thin vinyl. The earlier capes were made out of a synthetic cloth that I think is called chintz. I could be wrong. The poor quality of chintz as a cloth is where the term chintzy meaning cheap and low quality as an adjective derives. There was a running change to vinyl similar to the gloves. If you see the inflatable beach balls that is pretty much the same material. I used to use the rainbow ones to make Mego capes for home reproes using the Lily Ledy method of just a flat cape and neck hole.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Chintz is a glazed cotton or cotton blend fabric, not synthetic. I'm fairly sure vintage hero suits where made of polyester and nylon fabrics. Today, a polyester or nylon lining fabric could be used for capes, and CTVT uses lightweight satin.

You're right, vinyl from beach balls and 3-ring binders make great Megoesque items.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Doc Mego says the capes are made out of umbrella fabric.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^According to the interwebs, nylon is the predominant umbrella fabric.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• dreddbatfan
            Museum Super Collector
            • Oct 3, 2008

The reason why I'm asking is that I want to do a custom Batman of Zur En Arr figure and I need dark purple cape,gloves,trunks & boots and I'm not what to do to make them. If anyone has any ideas for them let me know. a-knight-14-01.jpg

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

CTVT has purple oven mitts and boots. You can look for a cheap purple umbrella to source the nylon fabric or some inflatable from a dollar store to go vinyl for the cape. I suppose you could get a red cowl and add blue dye or the basic blue cowl and add red dye. Idk if Doc still does custom requests for colors but you can always ask him if he can make a purple cast cowl.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 29, 2018

I never noticed the yellow oval on ZurBat. Is he the first New Look Batman?

Comment

• dreddbatfan
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Oct 3, 2008

I'm having trouble finding the umbrella material in a dark purple color.Can someone point me in the right direction to find it?I know I need a nylon material but I'm not having any luck finding it.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Try to find nylon lining--search fabric outlets on ebay.

Auction# 354598646183
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 8, '23, 6:04 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Polyester lining is similar & comes in many colors--but it is less crisp and more slippery/shiny than nylon.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎