X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreddbatfan
    Museum Super Collector
    • Oct 3, 2008

What to use to restring a type 2 Mego Captain America

I just bought a vintage Mego Captain America type 2 figure on ebay. He needs to be restrung and I'm not sure what to use either elastic cord,an 'O' ring or try to find a replacement rubber band?Also,his head needs to be repainted.What type of paint do I need and what colors should I use to match the original colors? Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

I am a fan of stringing up type 1s and 2s with elastic. I think the standard size is 3mm? The last package I bought just says round elastic cord on it. I think it is easier on the plastic and definitely easier on the arm joints of modern banded bodies. Some folks like to cross the string or band in an X pattern in the body, but that always seems to add a twist or a wide stance to me. I like to just go around sort of like drawing a circle and tie off under the neck before popping the head back on.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Repainting vintage vinyl heads is always kind of iffy I just haven’t seen many good results beyond just light touch ups

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

Oh and acrylic paint, never ever use enamel

Comment

• apes3978
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by dreddbatfan
          I just bought a vintage Mego Captain America type 2 figure on ebay. He needs to be restrung and I'm not sure what to use either elastic cord,an 'O' ring or try to find a replacement rubber band?Also,his head needs to be repainted.What type of paint do I need and what colors should I use to match the original colors? Thanks for any help you can give me.
          Like @rche, I use elastic... I picked up the last stuff I bought at Walmart, but most any craft or fabrics store should carry it.

As far as painting, like @Megotastrophe mentioned, make sure you use acrylic. Again, Walmart has good a good selection, as do stores like Hobby Lobby, Michael's and Joanne fabrics. I'm guessing you're going to be painting the flesh part of him: If so, there are 'Caucasian' shades of acrylic paint, however, a lot of the time these run a little too pink in color, so you might want to add a drop or two of brown paint into the Caucasian flesh and mix it up to make it not quite so pink. I've also heard of people adding a drop of orange too, to get it a bit closer to the Mego flesh tone.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

I have no idea if this would work but hear me out. When I was refreshing some old beater flex and bends I used plastidip blended in colors as a thick rubbery paint. This would work for the blue CA cowl if it was heavily discolored. In theory.

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

I use regular elastic, as well. It allows you to get things as tight as you want. Acrylic paints are the best to use, and I would recommend using multiple thin coats as opposed to a heavy one to minimize brush lines and keep the surface fairy smooth. You might need a small undercoat on the white wings, as the blue is going to show through without a lot of coats. I tend to use country gray as an undercoat because it does have good coverage and is still fairly light.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

When I need to do paint touch ups, I like using the Apple Barrel acrylic paints which you can find at local Walmarts or if you need a specific color you can sometimes find what you need on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎