Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll Only Give You Your Frisbee Back IF this Starsky & Hutch Reboot Doesn't Suck

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I'll Only Give You Your Frisbee Back IF this Starsky & Hutch Reboot Doesn't Suck

I try not to sound like the old guy in his bath robe telling the local kids that he's keeping their frisbee, but this remake has all the hallmarks of a cliché reboot. There have been some fun, really good reboots, but there have also been some really lazy, terrible ones, too. I can't really judge on a short blurb and I will check out this hopefully-great series, but I am already skeptical.
    • 1- What Zeitgeist?- Good reboots respect the original spirit of the show. S&H reflected (as well as TV can) the mood around crime and cops "bending the rues" to serve justice. I don't see that this show reflecting either the 70s or present day.
    • 2- Character Changes- Changing races or genders or sexuality can open up a project to telling a story or reflecting a show's spirit in a new, engaging way. I'm all for adding a new perspective to dig into a story. I really hope this pair will look at the "outsider" feeling (dealing with a patriarchal authority) that S&H had (dealing with an impractical authority) and not just checking off a how-to-reboot-a-show to do list.
    • 3- Overarching Plot- Speaking of checking off a how-to-reboot-a-show to do list, why do producers think we won't be interested without a an overarching plotline? (who sent their innocent fathers to prison) It can make for a better story, add gravity and a bond for characters, but often times it gets in the way of good episodic storytelling.

I guess we'll have to wait before final judgment and I'm sure I will check this out, but I'm very doubtful.

A new version of the 1970s buddy cop series Starsky & Hutch is in the works at Fox, with a female twist.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

it will.

Comment

• Duncan
      Museum focus-groupie
      • Jun 27, 2009

OK...random thoughts:

I agree on the overarching plot. I try to avoid shows like that. Producers like that device as a hook so you won't want to miss episodes, but I'm not a fan...because I know I'll probably miss episodes and lose the thread...and the plots tend to be cheesy.

This sounds kind of like the Lethal Weapon series, including the mysterious father backstory. Riggs' dad was in jail for some mystery or another, or something...I don't remember. It annoyed me.

There's a Canadian female buddy cop series doing pretty well right now: Pretty Hard Cases (https://www.cbc.ca/prettyhardcases/). I've watched some on Amazon Prime, I believe. Not bad. Not must-see for me, but it's fun. I wonder if they're trying to lean into that.

I feel like using an established name like Starsky & Hutch but changing it up so much is setting the show up for failure. Just make a good show and let it stand on its own merits, and the audience will find it. "Smith & Jones" or whatev. If Smith & Jones hits like S&H and viewers start to make those comparisons - great. That's a win. But don't force the issue because out of the gate people will be trashing it "You ruined S&H!" whether it's good, or not. I feel less inclined to watch it because of the name, and I like buddy cop shows (and car chases). Maybe I'll go watch another Pretty Hard Cases.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

I think they don't just make a good show because they're afraid they won't be able to sell it to the networks without a hook, in this case a known property. You're right about setting it up for failure. You usually end up ****ing off the people who grew up with it and alienating any new audiences by limiting what you can do. Like I said, they are definitely some good reboots that make changes but keep the spirit of the original, but this one feels forced.

Originally posted by Duncan
        Maybe I'll go watch another Pretty Hard Cases.
        That is such a better response than being outraged at the blasphemy someone messing with sacred property.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

when will they learn that people are sick and tired of the gender switches on these reboots. it pretty much always fails. The people who loved the original and will want to tune in are usually turned off by that.

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            when will they learn that people are sick and tired of the gender switches on these reboots. it pretty much always fails. The people who loved the original and will want to tune in are usually turned off by that.
            I think many of these reboots fail because the people rebooting them lose sight of what made the shows fun or great in the first place. IMHO, gender switches or any switches are more corollary than causal. Speaking as someone who loved the original but has no research to say what people are and aren't sick of, I don't mind gender or any type of change, as long the spirit of the original character remains. As I said, it can really explore different and new angles on the characters. This reboot, however, just looks like a completely different show, only with a title that might draw some network interest. Add in the other paint-by-numbers reboot features, and I'm worried this is just lazy showrunning.

I know I'll still check it out, but I'm not hopeful.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

S&H is so deeply rooted in the 70s and that brief moment of 70s culture it just doesn't work anymore. Unless you want another comedy there's not much you can do with it as a straight up remake. I don't get why they are even using the name. There's not a lot of nostalgia for it and younger generations have no idea about the show.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

Thanks for the censorship, mods. Nothing generates conversation like silencing people you disagree with.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  S&H is so deeply rooted in the 70s and that brief moment of 70s culture it just doesn't work anymore.
                  You make me wonder if you cold reboot S&H as a gritty cop show deeply rooted in THIS decade, thereby keeping it to the spirit of the show, but reflecting today's views on crime and cops. Maybe they could drive a '23 Dodge Challenger!

But then I thought- Are there even successful cop partner shows today? It seems like the ones that do well are all team-focused procedurals like Law and Order or NCIS.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I'm one of those people who thought the Owen Wison/Ben Stiller film was kind of fun. But I only have vague memories of watching Starsky & Hutch and owning a diecast Corgi Jr. Torino from the show. So my nostalgia was very limited.

But if you aren't going to lean into the 70s setting, I really don't get why they don't try for their own show, with somewhat of an S&H vibe. Why pay those royalties?
                    sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

I would mind it if it was Starsky & Hutch kids/grandkids taking up the mantle.

On of the biggest problems with reboots is they do not show respect for the past. What better way to start a new show (especially another Cop show) than by attaching it a series that did well but continuing it through the generations. this brings in several generations together to watch a series, not to mention the boost of sells for past memorabilia.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• RonnyG
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                        I would mind it if it was Starsky & Hutch kids/grandkids taking up the mantle.

On of the biggest problems with reboots is they do not show respect for the past. What better way to start a new show (especially another Cop show) than by attaching it a series that did well but continuing it through the generations. this brings in several generations together to watch a series, not to mention the boost of sells for past memorabilia.
                        I think that's a great idea! There was talk a few years ago (before the pandemic hit) of rebooting Dark Shadows with the next generation of Collins family. I would like to see that instead of a straight remake.

I never watched the Hawaii five-0 reboot that ran from 2010-2020, so I don't know why it succeeded while so many other reboots have failed.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

The gender switch makes no sense. If you want two female detectives,why not reboot Cagney & Lacey?

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                            I'm not sure if that is true. The majority of new shows do not get a 2nd season... even less are "hits". Yet "The Equalizer" was the 5th most watched broadcast TV show last season. "Magnum PI" is on its 5th season with a gender-swapped Higgins. "Kung Fu" is on its 3rd season and "Fantasy Island" on its 2nd season, and both have gender-switched leads. Going back further, "Elementary" had a long run with an Asian female Watson. "Battlestar Galactica" was successful with a female Starbuck and Boomer. Etc. I think the fact is that there *is* a proven track record of success for these shows. That's probably why they keep doing it.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jun 29, 2018

I mostly don't have an issue with the gender and race switching so long as the actor is ok and it does something with the story. I felt like the switching of Annie Potts character with Chris Hemsworth was not a good thing. Annie was and is gorgeous but she was not a sex symbol and wasn't treated like one. Hemsworth was to a cringing degree. Kinda unpleasant and very unnecessary.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎