Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

So who are all the heads supposed to be?

Hawk=Hawkman
    Superhero with Sunglasses=Booster Gold?
    Mummy=3 Stooges "We Want Our Mummy"
    Happy Bald Man=
    Military Man=
    Butler=Alfred
    Fish Man=Ocean Master
    Female=
    Andrew=
    Walter=
    Duncan=Black Lightning

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I assume the Fat Man is Curly Joe DeRita and the Happy Bald man is Joe Besser.

Besser does resemble Jackie Coogan's Uncle Fester.

The female head, though not very pretty, might serve as Marvel's Wasp or Faora Hu-ul.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 14, '23, 10:26 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
        Seeing Black Lightning there really stings---I was so looking forward to this one.
        Me, too--though the alter-ego aspect surprised me.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

Is this how the sculpting is done for the production molded heads? Are they utilizing 3d printing for masters and then casting around that, or maybe printing a negative for the mold? interesting stuff

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

At first, I thought the female head was from the Barbara Bain figure from Space: 1999, but I double-checked and its different, although someone could probably make a nice custom out of her.

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

THe Not-Hawkman definitely looks like a Superfriends version, with the simplistic design on the feather pieces. Being one figure short of the full set from Challenge, especially when we got someone like El Dorado (not complaining about getting him in the line, mind you, but he is less important to the set they began), is a major disappointment. Not sure what to read into these heads, especially considering how recently they announced the final Stooges.

Comment

• ToyBob
                Museum Patron
                • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by rche
                Is this how the sculpting is done for the production molded heads? Are they utilizing 3d printing for masters and then casting around that, or maybe printing a negative for the mold? interesting stuff
                Well I see print lines in the photos so printing is part of the process. Resin printing certainly is good for small scales but I'm not sure what the final smoothing involves, sanding, acetone, varies I guess. Have seen some mold negative printing but not enough people use it despite casting being much faster and in larger numbers for time factor.
                I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• rche
                  channeling Bob Wills
                  • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by ToyBob
                  Well I see print lines in the photos so printing is part of the process. Resin printing certainly is good for small scales but I'm not sure what the final smoothing involves, sanding, acetone, varies I guess. Have seen some mold negative printing but not enough people use it despite casting being much faster and in larger numbers for time factor.
                  I noted the print lines as well. At first, I thought it might have been plc instead of resin as they were pretty noticeable. My musing is not if they are using these for final product; the listings would definitely infer they are printing to order for anyone who wants these rather than having pre-made heads in an inventory bin. I am wondering if they are using 3D sculpting and resin prints to make masters for what ultimately would be a mold and cast mass produced product. The recent monster heads do have a bit of a digital 3D ish look about them.

Comment

• ToyBob
                    Museum Patron
                    • Feb 21, 2022

Originally posted by rche
                    I noted the print lines as well. At first, I thought it might have been plc instead of resin as they were pretty noticeable. My musing is not if they are using these for final product; the listings would definitely infer they are printing to order for anyone who wants these rather than having pre-made heads in an inventory bin. I am wondering if they are using 3D sculpting and resin prints to make masters for what ultimately would be a mold and cast mass produced product. The recent monster heads do have a bit of a digital 3D ish look about them.
                    I think people discussing this are leaning towards no on the mass produced thing happening, likely as you said a made to order print setup. Like cancelled final products from the disappointment people have expressed in heads recognized and only these spare parts to customize with Ie. have to do your own smoothing pass.
                    I believe in psychics, but I also believe in charlatans and mental illness.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2019

The flat top square jaw head would make for a great updated/modern Jet Jungle.
                      Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

So today's newsletter shows that the Super Friends Hawkman is still coming. So I have no idea what the deal is, but happy to still be getting Hawkman.

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by TRDouble
                          So today's newsletter shows that the Super Friends Hawkman is still coming. So I have no idea what the deal is, but happy to still be getting Hawkman.
                          Yeah, the plot thickens.

Comment

• darkbros
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by sprytel
                            So who are all the heads supposed to be?
                            Hawk=Hawkman
                            Superhero with Sunglasses=Booster Gold?
                            closer inspection of the chin line, you can see the cowl so yup!
                            Mummy=3 Stooges "We Want Our Mummy"
                            Happy Bald Man= Joe Rita
                            Military Man= Not many heroes that have a military style cut, but if I had to pick one maybe its a JLU inspired take on Captain Atom?
                            Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 3.06.28 PM.jpg
                            Butler=Alfred
                            Fish Man=Ocean Master
                            Female= Power Girl, hands down.
                            Andrew= Andrew Jackson, from the President line of Figures?
                            andrewj.jpg
                            Walter= John Constantine, to go with the Swamp Thing Figure set ( Swampy, Abby)
                            johnc.jpg
                            Duncan=Black Lightning
                            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jun 29, 2018

Maybe....maybe vinyl heads are slooooooowly coming down the pike and these bootlegs are just meant as a way to keep interest up...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Or maybe FTC is switching to printed head to get even cheaper looking stuff?

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                                Maybe....maybe vinyl heads are slooooooowly coming down the pike and these bootlegs are just meant as a way to keep interest up...
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎