Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pickermall
    • Aug 12, 2018

How to put a new PVC "old style" head into a classic Mego body

Hey all... just starting doing customs. Life long first generation Mego guy. My wife is a seamstress so the new outfits she makes are awesome!

My question is on my end of the projects. I ordered some original style bodies from Dr Mego, as well as heads. The heads are hard PVC (I thought they would be softer vinyl). The neck plugs are to big for the neck hole. I tried to soak in hot water, but that doesn't work. I don't want to drill out neck holes or do any modifications if I don't have to.

Any ideas or tips on how to get the heads into the bodies?
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Welcome to the world of customizing. You are going to have so much fun!

You will want to carve down or sand down the neck plug to fit the body. A Dremel works particularly well for this purpose, if you have one. Go slowly. Take a little off, see how close you are, and repeat.

When you try to mount the head, it is good to soak the body in hot water. It will soften up the plastic and give you a little thermal expansion. While you want a snug fit, remember that if it is straining too much when the body is hot, then it split at the seams when it cools back down.

Hope that helps.

(Oh, and the heads you are talking about are actually resin cast... not important really, but I just bring it up because you see the terminology "resin heads" a lot in the customizing community.)

Comment

• pickermall
      • Aug 12, 2018

Originally posted by sprytel
      Welcome to the world of customizing. You are going to have so much fun!

You will want to carve down or sand down the neck plug to fit the body. A Dremel works particularly well for this purpose, if you have one. Go slowly. Take a little off, see how close you are, and repeat.

When you try to mount the head, it is good to soak the body in hot water. It will soften up the plastic and give you a little thermal expansion. While you want a snug fit, remember that if it is straining too much when the body is hot, then it split at the seams when it cools back down.

Hope that helps.

(Oh, and the heads you are talking about are actually resin cast... not important really, but I just bring it up because you see the terminology "resin heads" a lot in the customizing community.)
      Thanks! Yeah, not sure what it is made of... I put the neck into hot water and parts of the neck plug started to come off... I will keep trying... thanks!

Comment

• pickermall
        • Aug 12, 2018

Got it! Might have been easier to just buy some 50th Anniversary Green Lanterns and modded THOSE out! Doing the Golden Age GL

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

The doc mego torsos don’t really soften up. It’s a different kind of plastic.

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

An alternative is to widen the neck hole on the body. Stick a pair of scissors in there, open them up, and start scraping carefully in a circle until the hole is the right size. You just have to be careful not to do it too forcefully to make sure the chest seam doesn't pull apart (I see that happen on the old Mego bodies and some of the new ones; not sure if it's as big a concern with the Doc Mego bodies).

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎