X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Help Me Understand How Licensing Works

I know we have some folks who are quite knowledgeable on this topic, so I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

Suppose I license the exclusive rights to make rubber balls with DC characters on them. I design the balls-- an assortment with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Flash-- and get licensor approval. Then I start manufacturing my rubber balls. I sell them at drug stores and such, plus you can buy them directly from me via my website.

Then my license expires. What exactly happens? The stores that have them on the shelves can keep selling them, I assume. Could I continue to sell them directly from my website? Could stores order more if I am sitting on inventory?

Assuming I can keep selling my existing inventory (directly or via retail), how does the licensor know that I am not just making more product vs. just having a ton of leftover stock to sell?

I realize some things have a natural shelf life that would make this all moot. But a Wonder Woman rubber ball, for instance, could last forever (and probably always have a market).
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

It all depends on your contract but essentially, when the license expires, you can't make more. Sometimes it's explicit that you sell off or sometimes destroy existing inventory. If you've sold all the balls to a third-party retailer, then it's their inventory, not yours and they can do with it as they please.

Also, you have to submit quarterly reports to a lot of the majors, telling them how much you've sold/made and have on hand.

During my tenure, I only had one licensor tell me to pull items from shelves after the expiry, but he was a real jerk.

The major thing that would stop you from being dishonest is if the licensor catches you and they go to your customers with a C&D, you're sunk. Your credibility as a supplier is at serious risk.

This is also why so many licenses go through a serious "rebranding" every 18 or so months.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

Now I want a Wonder Woman rubber ball.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks, that all makes a lot of sense!

Originally posted by palitoy
        During my tenure, I only had one licensor tell me to pull items from shelves after the expiry, but he was a real jerk.
        I know you are too professional to say who. But in my head, I'm picturing someone like Barney or Dora the Explorer... a brand where you wouldn't expect it. Blink twice if I'm right.

Originally posted by boss
        Now I want a Wonder Woman rubber ball.
        I know, right!

I also realized that I totally shafted Aquaman in my example, which is inadvertently funny to me. Poor Arthur Curry...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by sprytel
          ...I also realized that I totally shafted Aquaman in my example, which is inadvertently funny to me. Poor Arthur Curry...
          I was just about to post as much. Hmppph!
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 6, '23, 8:32 PM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Fener
            • Sep 3, 2014

I have the Batman rubber ball! Baravelli license expired in 1967 but I bought this in 2015!

IMG_7950.JPG
            Last edited by Fener; Feb 7, '23, 5:52 PM.
            WANTED (original not repro): Riddler belt, western guns (3). Matt Mason astronaut helmets (2).

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Fener
              I have the Batman rubber ball! Baravelli license expired in 1967 but I bought this in 2015!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35087[/ATTACH]
              Based on the package, I assume it is anatomically correct.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                The major thing that would stop you from being dishonest is if the licensor catches you and they go to your customers with a C&D, you're sunk. Your credibility as a supplier is at serious risk.
                Would I be allowed to sell extra inventory or even returns from wholesalers out of the back of my van and pocket the money rather than report that income on my company's revenue sheets?

Too soon?
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Wee67
                  Would I be allowed to sell extra inventory or even returns from wholesalers out of the back of my van and pocket the money rather than report that income on my company's revenue sheets?

Too soon?
                  Would you be driving around with music playing like an ice cream truck?

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67

Too soon?
                    That depends if any of the union heads look like this.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 29, 2018

I think Wee is referencing a certain activity of a certain legendary toy maker with certain ties to a certain rebuilt toy company, but I'm not certain.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎